• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Sikh Blinded Daughter-in-law In Front Of Kids After Accusing Her Of Affair With Muslim

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/48...-law-after-accusing-her-of-affair-with-Muslim

Manjit Singh Mirgind, 51, has been jailed for nearly 11 years after he slashed the wrists of Jageer Mirgind at her home in Iford, east London, before stabbing at her eyes while screaming "I am going to kill you."

Mrs Mirgind's children, who were just three and six years old, witnessed the horrific attack and begged their grandfather to stop.

The victim has been left partially-sighted in both eyes, while her children are suffering from recurring nightmares, Snaresbrook Crown Court was told.

The court heard that the attack, which took place last December, came about as the result of a misunderstanding which led to the Mirgind believing his daughter-in-law was having an affair.

Judge Nigel Peters QC told Mirgind that although the indictment had only one name on it, the attack had actually claimed three victims.

He said: "You have accepted that you have caused the most serious injuries to your daughter-in-law.

"The attack was manic and horrific.

"You set out with great hostility and vengeance - you punched her, forced to the ground and kicked her and took knives to her face and wrist to gouge her eyes.

"She has since lose a lot of sight in both eyes and there is major scarring to her face."

The effect on those children is a major factor in this case as they have been deprived of their mother in a normal state and had to witness those horrific scenes
Judge Nigel Peters
He continued: "What was so distressing was that her children, your grandchildren, witnessed it from start to finish and pleaded with you to stop - but you did not stop.

"The effect on those children is a major factor in this case as they have been deprived of their mother in a normal state and had to witness those horrific scenes.'"

Father-of-four Mirgind stared at the floor as he was jailed for ten years and eight months.

The court heard Mirgind had been an leading member of the Sikh community and often drove young worshippers to the temple.

He had initially been charged with attempted murder but prosecutors later accepted a plea of causing grievous bodily harm with intent in order to avoid having to go to trial.

Prosecutor Jonathan Turner said: "The complainant was taken to hospital and she has since described how her left eye has only blurred vision.

"Her right eye has been left with half vision while her wrist has bad mobility and she has scars on her face.

"Her life feels divided into before and after the attack and has heavily weighed on her mind.

"The children have suffered having begged the defendant to stop and they saw the blood everywhere.

"Their life has changed and they cannot sleep alone while the marriage of their parents has disintegrated."

Mrs Mirgind has since moved to Nottingham with her two children.

A single count of attempted murder has been left to lie on the court file.

Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
A horrific story. But, typical of far-right papers like the Daily Express, they only mention the ethnicity of the attacker when a minority is involved. There's never any 'white man stabs wife after she had an affair with a black man', or 'white teens menace passers-by with threats in council estates' or 'English criminals cost police billions of your tax money each year' stories.

Nottingham's Sikhs are running a programme where they give food to the homeless. But positive stories about minorities don't make people angry, so they aren't plastered all over the internet by tabloid papers. I wonder how many anti-Muslim stories in the Express this man read before he mutilated his daughter for sleeping with one?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I wonder how many anti-Muslim stories in the Express this man read before he mutilated his daughter for sleeping with one?
The court heard that the attack, which took place last December, came about as the result of a misunderstanding which led to the Mirgind believing his daughter-in-law was having an affair.

I do not think the Express can be blamed for inciting the man, if that is what you mean,

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Actually she was not his daughter, but his daughter-in-law.

She had been receiving prank calls, and he misunderstood and thought she was having an affair with a Muslim man behind her husband's (the attacker's son) back.

I thought Sikhs in general were above this kind of behaviour. He claimed to be under stress... that's no excuse. This woman, the Mother of this guy's grandchildren, is now blinded and scarred for life. And his grandchildren begged him to stop and he did not. They are emotionally traumatized probably for life.

I really don't think you can blame tabloids or any anti-muslim propaganda at all. He is respinsible for his own actions. And he probably would have done the same if he thought she was having an affir with a gora, or black man, or etc. etc. Or maybe it was just an excuse (suspicion of an affair) because he didn't like her...

Jul 18, 2007
London
This is typical old school thinking of Indian men (would hope a minority now!), doubting, misconceptions, non-trusting which in reality is their insecurity. Even if she was it does not condone these actions.

Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
I do not think the Express can be blamed for inciting the man, if that is what you mean,

The Express (and other right-wing tabloids) can definitely be blamed for inciting anti-Muslim sentiment amongst the Sikh community and the UK population in general. As for mutilating and attempting to murder his daughter-in-law that's the perpetrator's own sick fault.

Last edited:

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
What was the need to bring their religion into the story? It gives the impression that the father-in-law was upset because he thought she was having an affair with a Muslim. Would he be any less upset if he thought she was having an affair with a Christian or a Buddhist?

From what I have read, the majority of sexual grooming cases that happen in the UK are done by Muslim Pakistani men. The media is careful to label these perpetrators as "Asian", so as to avoid racial tension. Why then, has religion been brought up in this story? Will this not create racial tension? It seems they have lost the plot by trying to appear anti-islamophobic.

A horrible incident nonetheless. I think this is why females in our community are reluctant to come forward when they have been victimized by sexual predators. They fear the reaction of their parents and the public shaming done by the community. This was discussed in a BBC documentary on sexual grooming in the UK, which came out recently.

I would also like to know who the prank callers were.

Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
What was the need to bring their religion into the story? It gives the impression that the father-in-law was upset because he thought she was having an affair with a Muslim. Would he be any less upset if he thought she was having an affair with a Christian or a Buddhist?

From what I have read, the majority of sexual grooming cases that happen in the UK are done by Muslim Pakistani men. The media is careful to label these perpetrators as "Asian", so as to avoid racial tension. Why then, has religion been brought up in this story? Will this not create racial tension? It seems they have lost the plot by trying to appear anti-islamophobic.

A horrible incident nonetheless. I think this is why females in our community are reluctant to come forward when they have been victimized by sexual predators. They fear the reaction of their parents and the public shaming done by the community. This was discussed in a BBC documentary on sexual grooming in the UK, which came out recently.

I would also like to know who the prank callers were.
It's not about trying to be anti-Islamophobic, if the perpetrator had been Muslim the Express would have had a field day with that. The Daily Express is part of an unholy trinity of far-right UK tabloids, alongside The Daily Mail and The Daily Star. They are staunchly anti-Muslim, but are also against minorities in general. The Express has printed Kirpan scare stories before, the Star used to openly support the English Defence League and the Mail has repeatedly heaped praise upon Operation Blue Star and Kuldeep Brar.

The reason they are invoking religion is to scare white British people. The subtext is clear. "The multicultural establishment has let these third-world savages into our country, and all they do is fight each other and abuse their women. Send them home!". That will become much more obvious if you go and read user comments about this article (on other sites where comments are allowed) or on any other British tabloid story about minorities.

You are right that generally the British broadsheet papers and the TV news use 'Asian' instead of 'Muslim' in order to try and keep the peace. But tabloids are a different story.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
The father shouldn't interfere, what does it matter if his daughter has an affair with a muslim, that person is also a human being with his believes, every individual has his/her own believes there is no person with total exact same belief.

Also I don't understand why virginity is that important, it's not like you marry someone for his/her virginity you marry that person cause you love him/her.

UPDATE

I missed the part that she was daughter-in-law, so I assume she's married, even if she did cheat, which she did not in this case, her family should forgive her if she asks for forgiveness.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: