• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Heritage Sikh-American Rapper Mandeep Sethi Tells Stories Of Punjabi Gypsies On His New Album

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Sikh MCs are taking over. We’ve told you about Canadian artists like Humble the Poet and Sikh Knowledge — MCs who don’t rap strictly in Punjabi like some novelty act, but weave their heritage into the fabric of hip hop. From the San Francisco branch of the Sikh rap movement, Mandeep Sethi is releasing his newest effort Poor Peoples Planet this week.

Poor Peoples Planet is a concept album telling the story of centuries-old Gypsy roots in Punjab giving rise to a tradition of wanderers. Sethi is looking back and retracing the steps of his ancestors through the elements of hip hop. His thoughtful lyrics come packed with knowledge, messages intended for anyone open to a new kind of conscious hip hop sound. His thoughts may be dire and verbose, but Mandeep makes it sound easy, channeling hip hop teachers like Chuck D and KRS One.

The album is out this Friday and we’ll have more to say about Mandeep Sethi soon. In the mean time, have a listen to the first single off of Poor Peoples Planet to get a feel for his sound. “Moving Swiftly::Guerilla Tactics” samples a bragadocious slice of Buckshot’s verse from Black Moon’s 1999 track “War Zone.” Mandeep brings a whole knew spin to the idea of guerilla tactics.

http://www.mtvdesi.com/2011/01/18/s...-stories-of-punjabi-gypsies-on-his-new-album/

canadian

SPNer
Jan 18, 2011
I'm a huge fan of Mandeep Sethi and Humble P myself. It's a nice change from all the mainstream stuff that's played on the radio 24/7. And I'm definitely going to check out his new album!! What are some of your fav songs by them? I love "Gutter", "Voice For The Voiceless" and "Life of An Immigrant." :happykudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
canadian ji

I am not sure if you are asking a general question of the forum, or just of me. I posted this article because it seemed to be interesting. But I can't answer your question - I am too far on the other side of the century, and do not listen much to rap. Glad you enjoyed it.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I'm a huge fan of Mandeep Sethi and Humble P myself. It's a nice change from all the mainstream stuff that's played on the radio 24/7. And I'm definitely going to check out his new album!! What are some of your fav songs by them? I love "Gutter", "Voice For The Voiceless" and "Life of An Immigrant." :happykudi:
Life of an immigrant is very clever including its picturisation :grinningkaur:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: