• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sign The Petition: Tell The US Congress To Halt Pesticides That Are Killing Bees

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Just this week officials in United Kingdom have begun to move against pesticides that have altered the bee population in serious ways. Lest we think this is should be a low priority in the face of all the world disasters we have read about in the past few months, more needs to be done. Standing still won't work.

The bee population has been dwindling worldwide and naturalists and environmentalists have been puzzled. This year however a complex story began to emerge. Bees are dying from epidemic diseases that strike their populations; being vulnerable to these diseases results from continued exposure to pesticides. The ability of bees to reproduce is affected in the same way.

The consequences of this may turn out to be drastic. Without bees to carry pollen from one plant to another, plants cannot reproduce. Crops fail. The result is worldwide food shortages and famine. Countries most affected by crop failure will have to compete with a larger number of nations all bidding for food staples from a decreasing number of food producers.

Recent kill-offs have been huge. In one incident, after fruit trees bordering a parking lot in Oregon state were sprayed with pesticide, an estimated 25,000 bees died.

We are also part of natural creation where like bees, only the fit will survive. Poor nations will suffer the most.

Below is a petition that you may want to sign. Thank you!

Bee populations are in serious jeopardy. That's why Congressman John Conyers and I just introduced the Save America's Pollinators Act, which would suspend the use of bee-killing pesticides. With the help of CREDO’s new petition site, I’m gathering support to alert my colleagues in the United States Congress to this important cause. My petition says the following:

Last month, 50,000 bumble bees died after trees in Wilsonville, Oregon were sprayed with dinotefuran, the neonicotinoid ingredient in Safari pesticide. This was the largest bee die-off ever recorded. With bee populations declining across the around the country at an alarming rate, I urge you to support the "Save America's Pollinators Act" to restrict the use of these chemicals until we can be sure that they are safe and being used properly.

From flowers to chocolate, berries to tequila, pollinators are integral to the planet, economy, and many aspects of our lives. In fact, the USDA estimates that about one in every three bites of food is either directly or indirectly made possible because of bee pollination. Both our environment and food supply are inextricably tied to the welfare of bees, making the decrease in bee populations a cause for great alarm.

The death of 50,000 bees after the neonicotinoid dinotefuran was applied in Wilsonville, Oregon last month is a wake-up call.

The Oregon Department of Agriculture is investigating the die-off and is temporarily restricting the use of 18 pesticide products containing dinotefuran, and the Environmental Protection Agency is currently reviewing the use of these chemicals. However, that review is not scheduled to be completed for another five years. Meanwhile, Europe has already moved forward with restrictions on the use of neonicotinoids.

We must act now. This week I introduced H.R. 2692, the Save America's Pollinators Act, with my friend Congressman John Conyers to suspend certain uses of neonicotinoids until the Environmental Protection Agency reviews these chemicals and makes a new determination about their proper application and safe use. This will increase pressure on the EPA to speed its review before another mass bee die-off occurs.

Raising public awareness of the integral role of pollinators to the world, the precarious state of their populations, and what we can do to protect them is of the utmost importance. I hope you’ll join me as a citizen co-sponsor of this important legislation.

Will you join me and add your name to my petition to the United States Congress, to demand that it stops the pesticides that are killing bees?

Thank you for your support.

Congressman Earl Blumenauer

You can complete the petition at this link http://org.credoaction.com/petition...illing-bees?akid=8432.6838539.Vcde2K&rd=1&t=2

Attachments

• beedeaths.jpg
    beedeaths.jpg
    55.8 KB · Reads: 340
Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM