• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Shri Guru Gobind Singh Maharaji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Anoop ji

That is an interesting audio file of S. S. Harbhajan ji speaking in New Mexico. I listened to it when it was first posted and wondered myself.

For example, how could we know that Guru Gobind ji ate fruit and nuts and a little cheese? As a vegetarian, one would eat vegetables too, as well as wheat products. There were a lot of stories that were hard to grasp. Another thing I remember was that Guru ji was short and had very small hands and feet, but his hands were very elegant.

Probably most of us think of Guru Gobind ji as a musician, poet, inspired religious leader, leader of a people, brilliant warrior, loyal friend, devout "son" of the Gurus before him and manifestation of the presence of Waheguru. So information about his diet and feet can take a person off balance.

My thought is that there may be primary historical documents in India that chronicled his life... letters, personal memoirs, chronicles, official records in the courts of his many friends that commented on him personally. We just don't know about it because we don't have access to the documents, and aren't historians or journalists and wouldn't be even looking for that information.

It didn't bother me, but it did puzzle me.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
The precise reason why Guru sahibs didnt want their pictures, statues etc. was to direct sikhs to Shabad Waheguru, and not to associate sikhs with themselves. How Gurus look like may be an interesting read, but dwelling too much time for this doesnt sound good. Just my opinion... Bhull chukk maaf ji.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Arvind ji

Your point about staying focused on the Shabd Guru is a good one. That is why commentary on Guru Gobind Singh ji's feet, hands, diet, etc. seemed so puzzling. Who cares really?

There is so much in the way of gifts given to us by the Guru that the audio seemed very odd. Thanks for stressing that our focus needs to be on important things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Guru Gobind Singh ji said -

Rehat pyaari mujh ko, sikh pyara nahi

meaning that more stress is on rehat, to abide by the sikhi principles and to live those as an example.

Oct 8, 2008
siq sRI Akwl ,
ijauN ijauN gurbwxI dw rs Awauxw SurU hMudw hY auvyN auvyN hI bMdy dI kuJ kihx dI smr`Qw bihsx dI smrQw GtdI jWdI hY.bs l`gy rho kuJ nw kuJ krn -Awpxy Awp hI mn d`sI jwvygw ik Akwl purK jw gurU nUM smJxw jw aus dy vwry AijhI koiSS krnI vI ivArQ hY - AnMd sihb jI dw pwT smJx dI koiSS hI quhwnMU ds dyvygI ik kI AsIN kI kih skdy hW ?
siq sRI Akwl.
srbjIq isMG

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM