Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sharing - Dasvand

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Archived_Member16, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Archived_Member16

Archived_Member16
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

“You hear a lot of strange things about tithing ( dasvandh in Sikhism ). Some say it is a church ( religious ) tax, and they expect me to pay it and that is the end of it. Others say that when I give God one-tenth of my income, He blesses the nine-tenths that is left to the extent that the nine-tenths now goes as far as the whole thing used to go. This isn’t really true, is it? Suppose a farmer had 100 bushels of corn in the barn and he decides to plant 10 bushel in the ground. What multiplies? Is it the 90 bushels that he has left in the barn? Oh, no. All of us ‘farmers’ know it is the 10 bushels you put in the ground that multiplies. Similarly, it is the 10 percent you give to God that multiplies.”

— Stanley Tam (1915-), American businessman and philanthropist

2. Loading...