• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Shallow Readings And Meditation

Do you think Doing Shallow Readings Can Have Meditative Value?

• Yes, Please Explain.

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No, Please Explain.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
CRAWLING..is a part of the learning process...then we learn to walk..then we learn to RUN..then sprint..then have stamina for Marathon Runs...etc etc...

Just as a kindergarten student is also a studnent similar to one in the PHD class doing his PHD thesis...BOTH are "STUDENTS"....

Simialrly a SIKH is a Life long learner..a SIKH for LIFE...BUT that doesnt mean he has to stay in "kindergarten" to qualify as a studnet/sikh...and when he goes to primary school..secondary school etc..he "loses" the sikh title ??

SO just as a babay will not be crawling forever..a Sikh will not be shallow reading all his life..He will PROGRESS daily..and still remain a SIKH.

Jul 25, 2010
London
There's no value in the repetition of empty words.

"Nanak says, through empty words, one is ruined."

"Religion lies not in empty words. He who regards all men as equal is religious"

"Easy is it to utter and cause to utter. But difficult is it to accept Thy Will." (Guru Arjan Dev, pg. 51)

Actions are louder than words.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Let us consider a quote from Gurbaani as

"SIKHI SIKHIYAA GUR SABAD VICHAAR" ..........ASA DI VAAR

For a Gursikh the action is also dictated.

Prakash.S.Bagga
Dear Mr Bagga - Good morning !

I'm a fan of yours and it's nice to hear from you after some considerable lapse of time. Hope you will stay and enlighten us with your wonderful wisdom.

Regarding the quote above, I've copied n paste for your perusal the entire shabd below, particular attention is drawn to the text in bold.

ਮਃ ੧ ॥ ਵਾਇਨਿ ਚੇਲੇ ਨਚਨਿ ਗੁਰ ॥ ਪੈਰ ਹਲਾਇਨਿ ਫੇਰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਸਿਰ ॥ ਉਡਿ ਉਡਿ ਰਾਵਾ ਝਾਟੈ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਵੇਖੈ ਲੋਕੁ ਹਸੈ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਰੋਟੀਆ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਪੂਰਹਿ ਤਾਲ ॥ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾੜਹਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਨਾਲਿ ॥ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਗੋਪੀਆ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਕਾਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ॥ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਸੀਤਾ ਰਾਜੇ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰੁ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਗਲ ਜਹਾਨੁ ॥ ਸੇਵਕ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਕਰਮਿ ਚੜਾਉ ॥ ਭਿੰਨੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ॥ ਸਿਖੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਨਦਰੀ ਕਰਮਿ ਲਘਾਏ ਪਾਰਿ ॥ ਕੋਲੂ ਚਰਖਾ ਚਕੀ ਚਕੁ ॥ ਥਲ ਵਾਰੋਲੇ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਅਨੰਤੁ ॥ ਲਾਟੂ ਮਾਧਾਣੀਆ ਅਨਗਾਹ ॥ ਪੰਖੀ ਭਉਦੀਆ ਲੈਨਿ ਨ ਸਾਹ ॥ ਸੂਐ ਚਾੜਿ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ਜੰਤ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਉਦਿਆ ਗਣਤ ਨ ਅੰਤ ॥ ਬੰਧਨ ਬੰਧਿ ਭਵਾਏ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਪਇਐ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਨਚੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਚਿ ਨਚਿ ਹਸਹਿ ਚਲਹਿ ਸੇ ਰੋਇ ॥ ਉਡਿ ਨ ਜਾਹੀ ਸਿਧ ਨ ਹੋਹਿ ॥ ਨਚਣੁ ਕੁਦਣੁ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਮਨਿ ਭਉ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਉ ॥੨॥ SGGSJ 465

If that'd be the same shabd to which you've made reference to then I read it as, "SIKHI SIKHIYAA GUR VICHAAR" ? And, I translate it thus, "Sikhism is the study of Guru's teachings", meaning, guru's teachings is a life philosophy that liberates the spirit through self-discipline based on the concept of nam.

Much obliged !

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
very nice. i made a mistake telling you not to comment. sorry for that so do give your comments and add a bit more from your side on gurbani vichar

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
From my own personal perspective, When I learned how to do paath, the immediate concentration was on the words and pronunciation. Here there would be no meditative value. After i got more fluent with it, after a time of several months, i started to be able to recite parts without looking at the gutka. Here is where the meditative value started. Then I progressed onto learning arth and reading the paath conscientiously.

Once I got to this stage, I found that doing paath and naam simran had more value. But the key is that you have to start somewhere.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
CRAWLING..is a part of the learning process...then we learn to walk..then we learn to RUN..then sprint..then have stamina for Marathon Runs...etc etc...

Just as a kindergarten student is also a studnent similar to one in the PHD class doing his PHD thesis...BOTH are "STUDENTS"....

Simialrly a SIKH is a Life long learner..a SIKH for LIFE...BUT that doesnt mean he has to stay in "kindergarten" to qualify as a studnet/sikh...and when he goes to primary school..secondary school etc..he "loses" the sikh title ??

SO just as a babay will not be crawling forever..a Sikh will not be shallow reading all his life..He will PROGRESS daily..and still remain a SIKH.

There is no point in reciting Gurbani if you don't know what it means. Read the English translation if you can't understand it, and apply the gyan to your life.

Our Gurus teach us what they know and Live but its up to us to accept and apply the gyan to our lives.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM