• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rakha Ek Hamara Swami | ਰਾਖਾ ਏਕੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
peace.jpeg
This week has been super busy so I want to focus on something that I aspire to - spiritual peace and control of emotions. 1st line is literal English translation. I was unable to find Rawel Singh's take this week so if anyone else wants to post an alternative, please do. My interpretation underneath in green.

Ang 1136

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Bhairo Mehalaa 5 ||
ਊਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ॥ Oothath Sukheeaa Baithath Sukheeaa ||
Standing up, I am at peace; sitting down, I am at peace.

When someone understands that the Creator looks after all, that person constantly experiences inner peace, including when standing and sitting.

ਭਉ ਨਹੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਜਾਂ ਐਸੇ ਬੁਝੀਆ ॥੧॥ Bho Nehee Laagai Jaan Aisae Bujheeaa ||1||
I feel no fear, because this is what I understand. ||1||

That person then feels no fear of anything in life or of death.

ਰਾਖਾ ਏਕੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥ Raakhaa Eaek Hamaaraa Suaamee ||
The One Lord, my Lord and Master, is my Protector.

The Creator looks after all of Creation.

ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕਾ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Sagal Ghattaa Kaa Antharajaamee ||1|| Rehaao ||
He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of Hearts. ||1||Pause||

You can’t hide the contents of your heart from the Creator (so don’t even try! Lying to yourself is lying to the Sat so always be true about what you feel and how to deal with this as otherwise you won’t feel at peace). Contemplate on this.

ਸੋਇ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਾਗਿ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ॥ Soe Achinthaa Jaag Achinthaa ||
I sleep without worry, and I awake without worry.

When this knowledge is understood and accepted, a person is always without worry, even when awake or asleep. (Or I also see this as saying when a person accepts this then they remain spiritually awake and leave sleep behind.)

ਜਹਾ ਕਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਤੂੰ ਵਰਤੰਤਾ ॥੨॥ Jehaa Kehaan Prabh Thoon Varathanthaa ||2||
You, O God, are pervading everywhere. ||2||

Only when spiritually awakened does a person say (believe) that Waheguru is present everywhere.

ਘਰਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ Ghar Sukh Vasiaa Baahar Sukh Paaeiaa ||
I dwell in peace in my home, and I am at peace outside.

They feel at peace at home and experience peace outside home too (no matter what happens).

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥੨॥ Kahu Naanak Gur Manthra Dhrirraaeiaa ||3||2||
Says Nanak, the Guru has implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||2||

Says Nanak, those who are at peace are the ones who accept the truth of the Creator being present everywhere, with the Guru helping to fix this acceptance in them.

Notice the shabad talks about peace, not happiness. I think we are always chasing happiness which will always be fleeting and false. When we achieve inner peace then we are able to deal with anything the real world throws at us and this is a more worthy goal. Inner peace will also stop a person reacting emotionally and aggravating situations. Only the state of peace achieved through Gurbani's instructions and lots of hard work can stop the rollercoaster ride of emotion we constantly experience when under the influence of maya.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
My soul is at peace, realizing His presence
Absolutely no fear, with this essence

The Provider, The Savior, The Inner-Knower... Waheguroo!

Having a conscious awakening of His omnipresence
With total acceptance

Ecstasy inside, and outside too
Live as per His will, always say Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguroo.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Ghar sukh vasiya is one of my favourite kirtan shabads by Joginder singh Riar.
Just a few personal interpetations to add.

Sagal Ghattaa Kaa Antharajaamee ||1|| Rehaao ||
He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of Hearts. ||1||Pause||

Soe Achinthaa Jaag Achinthaa ||
I sleep without worry, and I awake without worry

Jehaa Kehaan Prabh Thoon Varathanthaa ||2||
You, O God, are pervading everywhere

The inner knower not only knows and is pervading everywhere but the sleeping/waking tuk also tells us that he is present at ALL times as well.
Thus one who is aware of the inner knower being aware at all times is at peace with him/her self, at all times whether they are sleeping or awake.

Ghar Sukh Vasiaa Baahar Sukh Paaeiaa ||
I dwell in peace in my home, and I am at peace outside.

In peace WITHIN and also WITHOUT.
To sum up, the antarjami or inner knower is not only pervading WITHIN you, he is also EVERYWHERE and on the OUTSIDE as well. On top of this, he is also present and aware of us during ALL hours and times of the day.
Therefore, if we acknowledge this and are aware at ALL times, then we shall be at peace both WITHIN and OUTSIDE at ALL times, and also ANYWHERE, where we may be at ANY given TIME.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Ghar sukh vasiya is one of my favourite kirtan shabads by Joginder singh Riar.

Lucky ji,
Thank you for your beautiful contribution.

I would like to add that I choose the name for the shabad based on the rahao line. This is not always the popular name but my thinking is that the rahao line is the most important and therefore should always be the 'chorus'. :tablakudi::japosatnamwaheguru::mundaviolin:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think the all time state of Sukhiya is hard. We will falter time and again. We just have to keep pushing ourselves. If we are lucky, we will reach a constant state. Like the so called perpetual motion. In that we will find Sukh all the time and nothing can disturb our sense of harmony.

It is a wonder Guru Nanak was blessed at such a young age. He had 'non-understanding' father and friends who made 'fun' of him. It is so hard to be misunderstood in today's world. Yet He had regal calm and poise. All these worldly issues never 'touched' Him. He was always above them.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My understanding as a contribution for dialog. I much appreciate posts by all in this thread. Great insights and reflections.
ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ
Bẖairo mėhlā 5.
ਭੈਰਉ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ।

ਊਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਭਉ ਨਹੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਜਾਂ ਐਸੇ ਬੁਝੀਆ ੧॥
Ūṯẖaṯ sukẖī▫ā baiṯẖaṯ sukẖī▫ā. Bẖa▫o nahī lāgai jāʼn aise bujẖī▫ā. ||1||

ਜਦੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਇਉਂ ਸਮਝ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਕਿ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਦਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਹੈ) ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਉਠਦਾ ਬੈਠਦਾ ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ। ਤਦੋਂ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਕਿਸਮ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ (ਮੌਤ ਆਦਿਕ ਦਾ) ਡਰ ਪੋਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ; ॥੧॥
Peaceful up and about, peaceful in composure so seated. No fear if such so discovered.

ਰਾਖਾ ਏਕੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕਾ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Rākẖā ek hamārā su▫āmī. Sagal gẖatā kā anṯarjāmī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
ਅਸਾਂ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਇਕ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹੀ ਹੈ। ਸਾਡਾ ਉਹ ਮਾਲਕ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਦਿਲ ਦੀ ਜਾਣਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥
One creator our savior. Knowing of all internal thoughts of everybody.

ਸੋਇ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਾਗਿ ਅਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਹਾ ਕਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਤੂੰ ਵਰਤੰਤਾ ੨॥
So▫e acẖinṯā jāg acẖinṯā. Jahā kahāʼn parabẖ ṯūʼn varṯanṯā. ||2||
(ਜਦੋਂ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਇਹ ਸਮਝ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਕ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਹੈ) ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨਿਸਚਿੰਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਸੌਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਨਿਸਚਿੰਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਜਾਗਦਾ ਹੈ, (ਤਦੋਂ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਇਹ ਆਖਣ ਲੱਗ ਪੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਹੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ!) ਤੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹੀ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈਂ ॥੨॥
In sleep no worries, no worries when wakeful. Thereabouts and everywhere such creator so present.

ਘਰਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਿ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ੩॥੨॥
Gẖar sukẖ vasi▫ā bāhar sukẖ pā▫i▫ā. Kaho Nānak gur manṯar driṛ▫ā▫i▫ā. ||3||2||
ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ (ਭੀ) ਸੁਖੀ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਘਰੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ (ਜਾ ਕੇ) ਭੀ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ (ਇਹ) ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਪੱਕਾ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ (ਕਿ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੀ ਅਸਾਂ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਹੈ) ॥੩॥੨॥
Peace so residing at home, peace so found outside. Nanak says, creator so embedded such teaching.
ESSENCE: Guru ji state that one peaceful and worry free state is achieved while resting, out and about, in the home or anywhere else. The key to such is the recognition and always remembering, that, the one creator all pervading is the savior and is aware of all that possesses our hearts.

In a way this shabad provides us a chill pill and an accepting approach to living. The cornerstone is the recognition that all is in synch with one creator and nothing is hidden or unknown to such a creator and the creation all around. Recognition of this openness from within to outside provides the life of peace and lacking worries.

If you are same inside and outside much peace will prevail. It is when one lives differing inside and outside that much wasteful energy and effort is consumed.

Sat Sri Akal. :mundahug:

PS: Interesting guidance may also be worth clarifying where Guru ji in this Shabad speak of dual states as follows,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> ਊਠਤ …… ਬੈਠਤ -----> Rising …… Seating

ਸੋਇ ……... ਜਾਗਿ ---> Sleeping … Waking

ਘਰਿ ........ ਬਾਹਰਿ ---> In house …. Outside

Around all these the peace and worry free state may be possible if teachings of the Shabad are understood and practiced. The dualities lose meaning and all becomes a 24/7 peaceful state.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: