• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Keerath Prubh Kee Gaao Meree Rusunaa | ਕੀਰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਗਾਉ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਸਨਾਂ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Literal translation from Sant Singh Khalsa in black followed by my interpretation in green.

ਕਾਨੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Kaanarraa Mehalaa 5 || Ang 1298

ਕੀਰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਗਾਉ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਸਨਾਂ ॥ Keerath Prabh Kee Gaao Maeree Rasanaan ||
Sing the Praises of God, O my tongue.

O my tongue, always sing the praises of Ik Oankaar.
I think the fact that the 1st line is addressed to the tongue is an appeal to both our subconscious and conscious.

ਅਨਿਕ ਬਾਰ ਕਰਿ ਬੰਦਨ ਸੰਤਨ ਊਹਾਂ ਚਰਨ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਜੀ ਕੇ ਬਸਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Anik Baar Kar Bandhan Santhan Oohaan Charan Gobindh Jee Kae Basanaa ||1|| Rehaao ||
Humbly bow to the Saints, over and over again; through them, the Feet of the Lord of the Universe shall come to abide within you. ||1||Pause||
doorlight.jpg

You should bow down to Waheguru always, greet Ik Oankaar. Those who emulate Ik Oankaar, have Waheguru’s blessing in them (charan lagna is blessing so I get this from the reference to charan). Reflect on this and consider how to apply to your life.

Gobind here is another word for Ik Oankaar. Here we are focussing on your conscious mind. The bowing means to give your head to Akaal. By committing to learn and follow, you are bowing. Its not necessarily the physical action but the bowing with your mind.

ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੁਆਰੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਉ ॥
Anik Bhaanth Kar Dhuaar N Paavo ||
The Door to the Lord cannot be found by any other means.

Even by trying so many different techniques, I have not been able to find the door to Ik Oankaar.

ਹੋਇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਤ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵਉ ॥੧॥
Hoe Kirapaal Th Har Har Dhhiaavo ||1||
When He becomes Merciful, we come to meditate on the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||

When my mind is engrossed, then I feel blessed.

ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਹ ਨ ਸੋਧਾ ॥
Kott Karam Kar Dhaeh N Sodhhaa ||
The body is not purified by millions of rituals.

Millions of pilgrimages and other rituals do not purify my mind.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਪਰਬੋਧਾ ॥੨॥
Saadhhasangath Mehi Man Parabodhhaa ||2||
The mind is awakened and enlightened only in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||2||

The mind only awakens and becomes conscious of the influences of falsehood (material aspirations, selfishness, grey morality etc), when in the company of the true sangat.

ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਨ ਬੂਝੀ ਬਹੁ ਰੰਗ ਮਾਇਆ ॥
Thrisan N Boojhee Bahu Rang Maaeiaa ||
Thirst and desire are not quenched by enjoying the many pleasures of Maya.

The thirst for more (greed) is not extinguished even after a million experiences of maya (falsehood, distractions).

ਨਾਮੁ ਲੈਤ ਸਰਬ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
Naam Laith Sarab Sukh Paaeiaa ||3||
Chanting the Naam, the Name of the Lord, total peace is found. ||3||

However, peace is found when living the taking the Naam (living as per Gurbani). When we are told rituals are useless, Naam cannot refer just to simran but must relate to action, i.e. how we live life.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਜਬ ਭਏ ਦਇਆਲ ॥
Paarabreham Jab Bheae Dhaeiaal ||
When the Supreme Lord God becomes Merciful,

When Ik Oankaar is compassionate towards a living being, (I have another post on what this really means. As Ik Oankaar is present in each of us, I think the compassion is related to effort and kindness to ourselves from deep within. Without effort there is no compassion.)

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਉ ਛੂਟੇ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥੪॥੩॥
Kahu Naanak Tho Shhoottae Janjaal ||4||3||
Says Nanak, then one is rid of worldly entanglements. ||4||3||

Nanak informs us, that only then do the shackles of maya break their hold on us and fall apart.

Overall message: Apply both your conscious and subconscious to the pursuit of becoming a Gurmukh. Empty rituals and words achieve nothing. The change to clean your mind has to come from deep within. Only then can you see, feel and experience the Truth.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਕੀਰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਗਾਉ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਸਨਾਂ ॥
Sing the Praises of God, O my tongue.

So one of the pillars of Sikhism - Keerat Karni - is to earn by honest means or a directive to do simran?

ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੁਆਰੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਉ ॥
Even by trying so many different techniques, I have not been able to find the door to Ik Oankaar.

ਹੋਇ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਤ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵਉ ॥੧॥
With Grace, we meditate on Har Har - linking it to the previous line, it is supposed to be the way to see the Lord's door.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
A Honest man doing an Honest days work...will have the SONG OF JOY on his lips...actually the two go together..the happiness, the sheer Joy of doing an honest days work, sharing that effort with the needy in daswandh...

Keerat is also NATURE..the CREATION OF THE ALMIGHTY all around us...SINGING the Praises of this NATURE is also doing an Honest days work...A Gursikh is always at ONE with his environment..Nature..."singing"...like why does the KOEL sing ?? why do the birds sing...they are at peace..one with nature..their environment...a GURSIKH should always have the Joy/sweetness n his tongue...anger..is ANTI-HIM..HE is NEVER ANGRY..not His Attribute at all..and an ANGRY MAN will NEVER "SING"...he will be BARKING !!!

Any one who has ever worked in software programmes like Photoshop..esp the latest cs6 Version 13 will know what LAYERS mean...and GURBANI is like that..LAYER upon LAYER..all seamlessly integrated and amlagmated...we simply cannot take one "layer" and say thats the END...put a simple photo into version 13 of cs6..and it looks a simple photo..keep ona dding layer after layer...and then show it to someone and after that remove layer by layer..he will be amazed that there was so much "hidden"...GURBANI is like that..so much is HIDDEN...and is ONLY REVEALED..by HIS KIRPA...NADAR..which essentially means YOUR EFFORT !! The MORE EFFORT you put in...the MORE Layers come off and the wonders of Gurbani come alive...then we will NOT be "confused" and say..oh isnt Keerat karni - honest labour..so why here keerat karni implies simran ?? confusing ?/ NO JIOS..its just the Layers one can "see" according to ones expertise..love..vichaar....in the Ordinary way..its said..A "PICTURE" is worth a THOUSAND WORDS.....BUT for GURBANI..I would say.."A SINGLE TUK..of GURBANI..is worth a MILLION PICTURES !!! The More we LOVE..more we DEVOTE..the more we peel away the layers..the MORE is revealed...all Vichaar. its 100% OUR OWN LIMITATION if we can ONLY see one LAYER !!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
And in this Shabad Guru ji essentially REJECTS/DISCARDS all those RITUALISTIC ways of pleasing HIM...countings, numbered simrans, wahegurus, chantings, pilgrimages, bathing at teeraths, fasting and various methods to torture the body to please Him....His DOOR is only opened by KEERAT....loving His CREATION...kirt karnee,,waand chhaknna..being joyous all the time...one with nature..Nachan kuddan mann ka Chao...vs haumaii deeragh rog hai..GUSSAH mann na handhaiyeah...

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

RAS Human E Motiion (Chemical Release) responsible for physical action ie Moment of tongue for speech.
Limb Moment etc. It is release of E Motion.

This operative is gift of Nature to all livings.

ਕੀਰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਗਾਉ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਸਨਾਂ ॥

This is by effort of CREATOR so

Kirti Prabh Ki

GAO To Sing HUMAN way for expression with physical event of body TONGUE. It is not the cause ie Karta it is Karam performer.

(Depths of awareness of beings is

Physical Sense Events

Realised Events.

Chemical Atomic Sound Light and Electromagnetic. Its same event for physical event.)

MERI RASNA, Creator praise for awareness of bringing this EMOTION.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: