• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Serenity/ਉਜਲਤਾ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
SERENITY/ਉਜਲਤਾ

ABSTRACT​

CALMNESS of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort in mind-control gained through Akal Purkh’s Grace. Its presence is an indication of ripened experience, and of more than ordinary knowledge of the laws and operations of thought that are conducive to spiritual progress by discerning intellect (ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁੱਧੀ). It progresses by following the teachings incorporated in Sabd Guru says Guru Amardas in Raag Basant;

ਭਗਵੈ ਵੇਸਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ਬਹੁ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥

Bhagvai Vays Bharam Mukat Na Ho-ay, Baho Sanjam SaaNt Na Paavai Ko-ay, Gurmat Naam Paraapat Ho-ay.

No one is liberated by wandering around in saffron-colored robes. Tranquility is not found by strict self-discipline, but by following the Guru's Teachings; one is blessed to receive, the Name of the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1175-18
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An individual becomes calm to the degree that he or she understands himself or herself as a thought evolved being. Such knowledge requires the understanding of the others. With this knowledge one sees more and more clearly the internal relations of things through the operation of cause and effect. One ceases to fuss and fume; worry and grieve and remains poised, steadfast, and serene.

A serene individual is one who has learned how to govern him or herself, and knows how to adapt to the others. They, in turn, revere his or her spiritual strength, and feel that they can learn from him or her and rely upon him or her. The more tranquil an individual becomes, the greater is his success, influence, and his power for good. Such an individual will prosper along with his self-control and equanimity. People prefer to deal with an individual whose demeanor is consistently even. One who considers every one equal is religious. The latter is the original vision of Guru Nanak as expressed in Raag Sorath and in Raag Asa by Guru Amardas:

ਜੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥

Jo Antar So Baahar Daykhhu Avar Na Doojaa Ko-ee Jee-o, Gurmukh Ayk Darisat Kar Daykhhu Ghat Ghat Jot Samo-ee Jee-o.

Akal Purkh is within -- see It outside as well; there is no one, other than It. As Guru willed, look upon all with the single eye of equality; in each and every heart, the Divine Light is contained. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 599-2

ਸਭ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਮਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਸਭੁ ਆਤਮ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਨ ਜੀਉ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਗਾਇਆ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਊਤਮ ਜਨ ਪਰਧਾਨ ਜੀਉ ॥

Sabh Ayk Darisat Samat Kar Daykhai Sabh Aatam Raam Pachhaan Jee-o, Har Har Jas Gaa-i-aa Param Pad Paa-i-aa Tay Ootam Jan ParDhaan Jee-o.

They look upon all as equals, and recognize the Supreme Conscience, the Akal Purkh, pervading among all. Those who sing the Praises of the Akal Purkh, obtain the supreme status; they are the most exalted and acclaimed people. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 446-12

The strong, calm individual is always loved and revered. He or she is like a shade-giving tree in a thirsty land, or a sheltering rock in a storm. "Who does not love a tranquil heart, a sweet-tempered, balanced life? It does not matter whether it rains or shines, or what changes come to those possessing these blessings, for they are always sweet, serene, and calm. That exquisite poise of character, which we call serenity, is the calm individual, having learned how.

The finishing lesson of a culture brings about the flowering of life and the fruition of spiritual knowledge. Wisdom thus acquired is more precious than gold. Mere money pales in comparison to a serene life -- a life that is dwelt in the ocean of Truth, beneath the waves, beyond the reach of tempests, in the Eternal Calm!

ਕੇਤੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਜੀਅ ਕੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰ ॥ ਸਚਹੁ ਓਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਉਪਰਿ ਸਚੁ ਆਚਾਰੁ ॥

Kaytay BanDhan Jee-a Kay Gurmukh Mokh Du-aar, Sucho Oorai Sabh Ko Ooper Such Aachar.

There are so many worldly entanglements for the mortal. Only as Guru willed do we find the Gate of Liberation. Truth is above all and above Truth is Truthful conduct. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sri, AGGS, Page 62-11

ਸਚਾ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵਣੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪਿ ਬੁਝਾਏ ॥ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਦਿਖਾਏ ਤਿਤੁ ਨਾਤੈ ਮਲੁ ਜਾਏ ॥

Sachaa Tirath Jit Sat Sar Naavan Gurmukh Aap Bujhaa-ay, Athsath Tirath Gur Sabd Dikhaa-ay {censored} Naatai Mal Jaa-ay.

True is that place of pilgrimage, where one bathes in the pool of Truth, and achieves self-realization as Guru willed and understands his own self. The Akal Purkh has shown that the Word of the Guru's Sabd is beyond the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage; bathing in it, filth is washed away. -----Guru Amar Das, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 753-15 & 16

Too many people have soured their lives, and ruined all that is sweet and beautiful by their explosive tempers. They destroy their poise of character, lose self-control, mar their happiness and make bad blood! Very few people seem to be well balanced. Very few have that exquisite poise which is characteristic of the finished character! A different kind of flow of spiritual wisdom from the higher worlds begins to animate those who dwell below as they begin to grow in spirituality. This flow of spiritual vitality may occur when one follows the esoteric principles given in AGGS. Similar results may accrue to the followers of the other religions if their actions correspond to the tenets of their own faiths.

Yes, humanity surges with uncontrolled passion, is tumultuous with ungoverned grief, is blown about by anxiety and doubt. Only a wise individual, whose thoughts are controlled and purified, makes the storms of the mind obey him.

Tempest-tossed souls, wherever you may be, under whatsoever conditions you may live, know this: In the ocean of life the isles of Blessedness are smiling, and the sunny shore of your dreams await your coming. Keep your hand firmly upon the helm of thought. In the bark of your mind reclines the commanding Master; It does but sleep; wake It and follow Its command and will. Self-control is strength; Right Thought is mastery; Calmness is power. Say unto your heart, "Peace, be still!" Guru Tegh Bahadur describes the nature of such a human in Raag Sorath and Kabir in Raag Kedara;

ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਦੁਖ ਮੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨੈ ॥ ਸੁਖ ਸਨੇਹੁ ਅਰੁ ਭੈ ਨਹੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕੰਚਨ ਮਾਟੀ ਮਾਨੈ ॥ ਨਹ ਨਿੰਦਿਆ ਨਹ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਾ ॥ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਆਰਉ ਨਾਹਿ ਮਾਨ ਅਪਮਾਨਾ ॥ਆਸਾ ਮਨਸਾ ਸਗਲ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਜਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਰਾਸਾ ॥ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜਿਹ ਪਰਸੈ ਨਾਹਨਿ ਤਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਿਵਾਸਾ ॥ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਜਿਹ ਨਰ ਕਉ ਕੀਨੀ ਤਿਹ ਇਹ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਪਛਾਨੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਲੀਨ ਭਇਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਪਾਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਾਨੀ ॥
Jo Nar Dukh Mai Dukh Nahee Maanai, Sukh Sanayhu Ur Bhai Nahee Ja Kai Kanchan Maatee Maanai, Neh Nindiyaa Neh Ustat Jaa Kai Lobh Moh Abhimaanaa, Harakh Soag Tay Rahai Niaarao Naaeh Maan Apmaanaa, Aasaa Mansaa Sagal Tiaagai Jag Tay Rahai Niraasaa, Kaam Krodh Jeh Parsai Naahin Tah Ghat Barahm Nivaasaa, Gur Kirpaa Jeh Nar Kaou Keenee Tah Aeh Jugat Pachhaanee, Nanak Leen Bhaio Gobind Sio Jio Paanee Sang Paanee.

Who in the midst of pain does not feel pain? Who is not affected by pleasure, affection or fear, and who looks alike upon gold and dust? Who is not swayed by either slander or praise, nor affected by greed, attachment or pride; that remains unaffected by joy and sorrow, honor and dishonor? Who renounces all hopes and desires and remains desire -less in the world? Who is not touched by sexual desire or anger? Within the heart of such a person, God dwells. That person, blessed by Guru's Grace, understands Akal Purkh’s way. O Nanak, he merges with the Creator of the Universe, like water with water. -----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 633

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਦੋਊ ਬਿਬਰਜਿਤ ਤਜਹੁ ਮਾਨੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਾ ॥ਲੋਹਾ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਨਹਿ ਤੇ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਭਗਵਾਨਾ ॥ਤੇਰਾ ਜਨੁ ਏਕੁ ਆਧੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਬਿਬਰਜਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਪਦੁ ਚੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ॥ਰਜ ਗੁਣ ਤਮ ਗੁਣ ਸਤ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੀਐ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਭ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਚਉਥੇ ਪਦ ਕਉ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਚੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਹੀ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਸੁਚਿ ਸੰਜਮ ਸਦਾ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਹਕਾਮਾ ॥ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਅਰੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਚੂਕਾ ਚਿਤਵਤ ਆਤਮ ਰਾਮਾ ॥ਜਿਹ ਮੰਦਰਿ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿਆ ਅੰਧਕਾਰੁ ਤਹ ਨਾਸਾ ॥ਨਿਰਭਉ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹੇ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਭਾਗਾ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਨ ਦਾਸਾ ॥

Usṯaṯ ninḏā ḏo¬ū bibarjiṯ ṯajahu mān abẖimānā. Lohā kancẖan sam kar jāneh ṯė mūraṯ bẖagvānā. Ŧėrā jan ėk āḏẖ ko¬ī. Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ moh bibarjiṯ har paḏ cẖīnĥai so¬ī. Raj guṇ ṯam guṇ saṯ guṇ kahī¬ai ih ṯėrī sabẖ mā¬i¬ā. Cẖa¬uthė paḏ ka¬o jo nar cẖīnĥai ṯinĥ hī param paḏ pā¬i¬ā. Ŧirath baraṯ nėm sucẖ sanjam saḏā rahai nihkāmā. Ŧarisnā ar mā¬i¬ā bẖaram cẖūkā cẖiṯvaṯ āṯam rāmā. Jih manḏar ḏīpak pargāsi¬ā anḏẖkār ṯah nāsā. Nirbẖa¬o pūr rahė bẖaram bẖāgā kahi Kabīr jan ḏāsā.

Those who ignore both praise and slander, who reject egotistical pride and conceit, and look alike upon iron and gold -- they are the very image of the God. Hardly anyone is a humble servant of Yours. O Akal Purkh. Ignoring sexual desire, anger, greed and attachment, a person becomes aware of the Its Feet. Raajas, the quality of energy and activity; Taamas, the quality of darkness and inertia; and Satvas, the quality of purity and light, are all called the three qualities of Maya, Your illusion. That man who realizes the fourth state - he alone obtains the supreme state. Amidst pilgrimages, fasting, rituals, purification and self-discipline, he remains always without thought of reward. Thirst and desire for Maya and doubt depart, remembering the God, the Supreme Soul. When the temple is illuminated by the lamp, its darkness is dispelled. The Fearless Akal Purkh is All-pervading. Doubt has run away, says Kabir, the It's humble slave. Some deal in bronze and copper, some in cloves and betel nuts. The Saints deal in the Naam, the Name of the Creator of the Universe. Such is my merchandise as well. I am a trader in Its Name. When the True Akal Purkh attached me then I was attached to Truth. I am a trader of the True Creator. I have loaded the commodity of Truth; It has reached the Akal Purkh, the Treasurer. God Itself is the pearl, the jewel, the ruby; the jeweler, and spreads out in the ten directions. The Merchant is Eternal and Unchanging. My mind is the bull, and meditation is the road; I have filled my packs with spiritual wisdom, and loaded them on the bull. Says Kabir, listen, O Saints: my merchandise has reached its destination! -----Kabir, Raag Kedara, AGGS, Page, 1123

To be tranquil one has to erase the selfishness and conceit through the Akal Purkh’s Grace?

ਖੁਦੀ ਮਿਟੀ ਤਬ ਸੁਖ ਭਏ ਮਨ ਤਨ ਭਏ ਅਰੋਗ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟੀ ਆਇਆ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰਨੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥

Khudhee Mittee Tab Sukh Bha-ay Man Tan Bha-ay Aroag, Nanak Daristee Aa-i-aa Ustat Karnai Jog.

When selfishness and conceit are erased, peace comes, and the mind and body are healed. O Nanak, then Akal Purkh comes to be seen -- the One who is worthy of praise.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 260-9

Conclusions:

When the five senses are stilled and thinking has ceased, when the intellect does not stir, in between two thoughts then one can enjoy the tranquility of mind and reach the highest state of spirituality. This is also the way to subjugate the lower instincts of lust, anger, attachment, pride, and greed. One thus lets God in with the development of Godly instincts of Truth, Contentment, Compassion, Faith and fortitude. Peace of mind or serenity is the natural outcome of the process. Guru Nanak describes the technique of liberation in Raag Asa:

ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਧਰਤੀ ਬੀਜੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਕਰੋ ਸਲਿਲ ਆਪਾਉ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਣੀ ॥ਮਨੁ ਕਿਰਸਾਣੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਿਦੈ ਜੰਮਾਇ ਲੈ ਇਉ ਪਾਵਸਿ ਪਦੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੀ ॥

Ayh Tan Dhartee Beej Karmaa Karo Salil Aapaa-ou Saaringpaanee, Man Kirsaan Har Ridai Jammaa-ay Lai I-o Paavas Pad Nirbaanee.

Make this body the field, and plant the seed of good actions. Water it with the Name of the Akal Purkh, who holds the entire world in Its Hands. Let your mind be the farmer; the Akal Purkh shall sprout in your heart, and you shall attain the state of Nirvaanaa. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 23-15

Virinder S.Grewal
Williamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: