• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Say Angrezi Or Angrezi Boli?

johnyork

SPNer
Dec 19, 2012
English is my native language and when I approach a person (who I think speaks Punjabi), I will ask the following question to determine if they can speak English.

Ki tusi Angrezi (boli) bolday ho.

Basically, I am asking do you speak English?

The question is this. Can I include the word "language" with the word "English"?

1) Do you speak English language?
2) Do you speak English?

I prefer to add the word "language" so just in case, they don't understand my pronunciation of "Angrezi", they will definitely recognize "boli" and at least know that I am asking them if they speak some kind of language.

johnyork

SPNer
Dec 19, 2012
Can you speak English? (Sentence structure)

Here are 2 Punjabi sentences.
1) Can you speak English?
1) ਕੀ(Adverb) ਤੁਸੀਂ(Subject) ਅੰਗਰੇਸ਼ੀ(Object) ਬੋਲਦੇ(Verb.1) ਹੋ(Verb.2)(This sentence makes sense to me.)

2) How are you?
2) ਤੁਹਾਡਾ(Adjective) ਕੀ(Adverb) ਹਾਲ(Subject) ਹੈ(Verb)
(In this sentence, why is it not "ਕੀ(Adverb) ਤੁਹਾਡਾ(Adjective) ਹਾਲ(Subject) ਹੈ(Verb)"?) (Why not pair the ਤੁਹਾਡਾ(Adjective) with ਹਾਲ(Subject)?)
(Is this normal to have an adverb "ਕੀ" in between a noun and its adjective?)

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I would usually say...

Kee tuhanu English/Angrezi language bolnee aandi hae?
Kee tusin English/Angrezi bol sakde Ho?
Kee tusin English/Angrezi vich bol sakde ho?
Kee tusin English/Angrezi bolde ho?

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
I dont know what is the objective of this,perhaps I missed something but if my two pence worth is considered, there are a number of ways one can put the following ;-

1] Do you speak English language?--Tusin Angrezi Zuban bolde ho /bol sakde ho;tusin angrezi wich gal kar sakde ho/bol sakde ho?Tusin angrezi[ boli ]bolde ho?[similar to one below]

The words "Ki" are not really necessary.

2] Do you speak English?
--Tusin angrezi bolde ho?Tusin angrezi bol sakde ho? It does not matter if the words for language , like boli, zubaan are used or not.It can be implied.What matters is that it is spoken politely.As punjabi tends to be the language of the mainly rural punjab has been polluted to become somewhat rustic in speech when spoken.Although the proper version exists, it is confined to the educated and mainly urban families.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Can you speak English? (Sentence structure)

Thread entitled Can You Speak English has been merged with this thread. Both threads are in Learn Punjabi.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: