• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Inspirational Sant Siphahi - Tigerstyle - Wonderful Song

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thank you Gyani ji for that kind explanation.
This was the reason that I had started the 'kach bani' thread, because there seems to be a few misconceptions as to what constitutes it.
I have learned that what I myself have done is NOT kachi bani as I've not including or eliminated any parts of shabads. - BUT, some of the scholars and qualified will simply NOT accept my personal versions.
I am now aware myself that I have done no such tampering and it is actually all fine, but it's trying to make these others aware of what 'kachi' really is.

Also Kanwaljit Ji, I don't find that catchy tunes take your focus off the gurbani.
But you may be right that with some people it may do just that.
But on the whole, I don't think it has a greater influence to do that. Personally, I have found that I have learnt much more gurbani with this personal approach.
It helps me, but that doesn't mean for everyone. It all depends on how we actually all listen to music, as this does vary between individuals as some will focus on certain elements only.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Catchy tunes will make you catch the tune but not the Gurbani.

I disagree on this point. The Guru's made entire Bani rhym and able to be set to music and Raag for a reason. People catch the tune, they then recite the words that go with the tune, and then hopefully learn the meaning of the words.

I'm an example of this.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The BOTTOM LIne is ATTENTION...whatever gets ATTENTION to the SHABAD is GOOD..whatever take it away is BAD. PERIOD.

Example form Guru Period. Some people approached Guru Arjun ji after kirtan and complained that a cetain person insulted them during kirtan. What did he say asked Guur ji and they all repeated the words allegedly insulting to them. Then Guru Ji asked..and WHICH SHABAD were the ragis singing and which Shabad did I do katha on ?? None could answer.

Sikhs TODAY are the same. We all know who did what..who wore what..who has the latest handphone..computer chip car..and the ladies latest suit..lipstick etc etc..BUT ask WHICH SHABAD..which HUKMNAMA ??...I rest my case.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
Catchy, meaningful tunes are 50% of the shabad. It is one thing to sing a shabad in a bland way, it is another to sing it with melody, one is bland, the other can make the soul soar and emphasizes the meaning of the Shabad.

I agree 100%. I am quite surprised and even shocked that we don't see the value and importance how gurbani is sung. I don't think any Sikh would be questioning the value of this if they were taught classical music. I am failing to understand why we don't want to listen to gurbani in raags its written. What is going on with Sikhs?? Why are we doing this? Do we not have any love for Sikhi anymore?? Do we not like what Guru's have given to us? I feel sad.... what are we doing? What do we want going forward?

Apr 11, 2007
I agree 100%. I am quite surprised and even shocked that we don't see the value and importance how gurbani is sung. I don't think any Sikh would be questioning the value of this if they were taught classical music. I am failing to understand why we don't want to listen to gurbani in raags its written. What is going on with Sikhs?? Why are we doing this? Do we not have any love for Sikhi anymore?? Do we not like what Guru's have given to us? I feel sad.... what are we doing? What do we want going forward?

Baljinder ji I don't think anybody is saying they do not want to listen to gurbani in the raags it is written. That is what people want to do. They would just like to be able to express the gurbani in different variations of music other than classical music! Nothing else! Some people find classical music nice to listen to others find it boring some find r'n'b type music nice to listen to others do not some find heavy metal nice to listen to other do not. The sat sangat is diverse and I think we should cater to the sat sangat as that is who the Guru Granth Sahib is reaching out to. So long as no one is distorting the message! Let's be clear we are all talking about the music and not the message here! Like lucky ji stated people that do try and make an effort to do this type of seva are discouraged which is a shame with slander of Kuchi Bani and so forth, which should be stopped they are not helping people fall in love with the gurbani they are turning people away! This is the point of this!

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I may be wrong, but music has different effects too!

Find r'n'b type music nice to listen to others do not some find heavy metal nice to listen to other do not.

The raags of Gurbani have a calming effect, which is what mind needs. I am sorry I don't think RnB or Rock would calm your mind. And I feel it is a bit of ego, if we try and deviate from the Raags and mix music of different themes with Gurbani.

As an example, listen to this rendition of Gurbani and tell me if it doesn't encapture your heart and soul:
Nahi {censored} Re Baba Raam Naam - Professor Kartar Singh - Live Sri Harmandir Sahib - YouTube

It is OK to use western instruments as long as you can add the soothing sounds which come with Gurbani. Anyone trying band baaja and sing Gurbani is making a mess of things. And it is not so uncommon to use band baja along with Gurbani in today's nagar kirtans. They shout and shriek, thinking they are taking it to next level, no one listens or absorbs what is being said.

More points:

Source http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Raga

Moods and feelings
A raag creates an atmosphere which is associated with particular feelings and sentiments. If Bhairav has the serenity of early dawn, Darbari has the splendour of midnight. Bhupali can never be associated with mirth and fun whereas Bageshri is more suited for a lighthearted romantic mood. The Raagmala paintings of Rajasthan depict beautifully the underlying 'ras' or mood expressed by every raag.
In the time cycle , you first have raags based on 'komal swaras', what we call the flat notes. In all the komal swar raags you ( Bhairav, Gunkali), you have one thing in common: the note rishabh and dhaivat. The fourth note, madhyam, is also a komal swar, but it is used in teevra swar (sharp) when singing the twilight raags after sunset to define the change in mood between the two hours before sunrise and after sunset. So, with the subtle change in one note, the entire mood of the raag changes. All these twilight melodies called Sandhiprakash raags in our musical terminology, covey a certain pathos, a certain yearning. These are followed by the raags of the first quarter of the morning and night, such as Todi, Asavari, and then the midday and midnight raags.

Apr 11, 2007
kudihug

The raags of Gurbani have a calming effect, which is what mind needs. I am sorry I don't think RnB or Rock would calm your mind. And I feel it is a bit of ego, if we try and deviate from the Raags and mix music of different themes with Gurbani.

As an example, listen to this rendition of Gurbani and tell me if it doesn't encapture your heart and soul:
Nahi ***** Re Baba Raam Naam - Professor Kartar Singh - Live Sri Harmandir Sahib - YouTube

It is OK to use western instruments as long as you can add the soothing sounds which come with Gurbani. Anyone trying band baaja and sing Gurbani is making a mess of things. And it is not so uncommon to use band baja along with Gurbani in today's nagar kirtans. They shout and shriek, thinking they are taking it to next level, no one listens or absorbs what is being said.

More points:

Source http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Raga

Moods and feelings
A raag creates an atmosphere which is associated with particular feelings and sentiments. If Bhairav has the serenity of early dawn, Darbari has the splendour of midnight. Bhupali can never be associated with mirth and fun whereas Bageshri is more suited for a lighthearted romantic mood. The Raagmala paintings of Rajasthan depict beautifully the underlying 'ras' or mood expressed by every raag.
In the time cycle , you first have raags based on 'komal swaras', what we call the flat notes. In all the komal swar raags you ( Bhairav, Gunkali), you have one thing in common: the note rishabh and dhaivat. The fourth note, madhyam, is also a komal swar, but it is used in teevra swar (sharp) when singing the twilight raags after sunset to define the change in mood between the two hours before sunrise and after sunset. So, with the subtle change in one note, the entire mood of the raag changes. All these twilight melodies called Sandhiprakash raags in our musical terminology, covey a certain pathos, a certain yearning. These are followed by the raags of the first quarter of the morning and night, such as Todi, Asavari, and then the midday and midnight raags.

A valid point Kanwaljit ji. The thing is these other genre of music have not been tried and tested so it is hard to validate this theory. Also, views you have shown are tried and tested methods and look at the process of sikhism the youth are not getting interested with these types of music that are being used at moment so why not try something different? I mean in India if you go to a wedding the sangat does not even turn up to the Anand Karaj part but they turn up to the party part all because of a lack of interest not in god but in the lack of interest in the way the information is being processed to them. Like a teacher I guess some people are drawn in by the depths of sant singh maskeen some are drawn in by the dynamics of sant gernail singh bhinderwala! It takes all sorts the Sat sangat is diverse and should be catered as such.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

I agree but Music set to raag is melodious. You can have soft rock, thrash, hard rock, and soft rock maybe considered melodious. RnB singing about booty and getting women is nonsense as far as I am concerned.............but again raag is raag...

Here's an example of melodious RnB set to Raag. I think it's very nice and melodious:

Yaarian Amrinder Gill & Dr Zeus Feat Shortie Official Video 2012 HD - YouTube

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
What's more important, the technical arrangement of notes, or the emotions the notes evoke in people?

It is also a bit subjective, not all melodies will have the same impression on people

Listen to this (it starts at 47 seconds - it's a very short instrumental song):

Metallica - The Ecstasy Of Gold(S&M) - YouTube

Do you feel invigorated, inspired, ready to charge into battle?

Now hook that up with words about the spiritual battle with vices in pursuit of the love of God and you've got yourself a set of goosepimples and someone ready for ardaas, hehe. (or is that just me? lol)

Or is the point that there is something special about raags in particular? Something universal?

I admit, when I first started listening to kirtan, it did nothing for me because the music was so strange for me to hear. It had to grow on me. So I'm a little skeptical that there is something inherently superior of one musical system over another.

But I agree entirely that music has a profound impact on human psyche and that heavy metal, thrash, etc aren't conducive to a peaceful, spiritual, contemplative mood.

But do all raags have that effect? I thought some raags were meant to evoke a sense of loss, of separation, etc?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Now hook that up with words about the spiritual battle with vices in pursuit of the love of God and you've got yourself a set of goosepimples and someone ready for ardaas, hehe. (or is that just me?

nope its me too :), I actually read Bani whilst listening to this album............

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM