• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Inspirational Sant Siphahi - Tigerstyle - Wonderful Song

Apr 11, 2007
Only thing I don't like about the song is it is requesting a sant sipahi. The Sant Sipahi he is on about it obviously Guru Gobind Singh, who's works exist today through the guru granth sahib, so who's presence is the guy requesting? Another dera? Our Guru exists today, follow the Guru Granth Sahib! Become one with the eternal truth, what is there to find besides the truth what is inside you! These are words to just fuel young ignorant minds with no truths of nothing but propaganda. What influence do these words have to influence a person to become a better person. Where is the humanity in the words. Fuel your mind with the truth, live for the truth, be one with the truth, die for the truth otherwise you are forever finding to further gain the truth and gain true love. Living without true love; who wants to live a lie. It is soul destroying!

animatedkhanda1

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
1000000% RIGHT Parma Ji.....ALL that IDLE TALK..about Guru Nanak jumping out of SGGS to eat roti and take a Bath...or Guru Gobind Singh ji riding a Horse around Hemkunt Sahib etc are ALL UTTER RUBBISH and the GROSSEST INSULT EVER to the GURUSHIP of SGGS. When will Sikhs even realise that suhc TAL TALES are meant to "DISREGARD and DENIGRATE" the Greatness of our GURU - The SGGS as a valid Guru and push us towards DEHDHAREEISM..hankering after HUMAN GURUS..who eat drink and die...when GURU Nanak Ji gifted us the ETERNAL SHABAD GURU which has NO human FAILINGS.

The namdharees, the Narakdharees, The Beasdharees, the Ashtoshes, the Noormehliahs, the NANAKSAREES, the WADBHAGEES, the SIRSA wallehs and the DERAWADEES SANTS etc etc ALL are just PUSHING HUMAN BODIES as "gurus" and taking us away from SGGS. Some of these stand at Level 1 and others on level 10..on a Scale form 1-10...Beasdharees etc are at 10...and the nanaksarees derawallahs etc are at 3, 4 or 5..because they STILL wear Sikhi banna, and have SGGS around them to FOOL SIKHS that they are SIKHS...they are Progressing towards 10..when they will kick sggs OUT like the Beasdera did long ago...The BEAD DERA LANDS once belonged to SGGS and SGGS was Parkashed there !!!

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
We know that music,video etc are extremely powerful. I do not believe this song/video has any kind of negative effect. What has a negative effect is these silly baabe with their chimate and people like Gurdaas Maahn (chamcha of KPS Gill) singing "gar dee sharaab hove"..

This kind of music inspires the young generation. I know this first hand. When we are constantly surrounded by any kind of media, this has an empact on how people think and behave (you don't have to go far to know what I mean, look at Indian women who watch the soap operas on ZeeTv etc).

Everyone in the World know that media is powerful, however, Sikh are just catching on this idea now... we need to move fast as we have been fooled by the media for too long.... its only recently that the Bollywood films stopped making fun out of us.. We should not criticise, just for the sake of criticising. Lets make suggestion to improve, improve and improve..

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Randip Singh ji, do you have the link for the version with subtitles, please?

Many thanks.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
We know that music,video etc are extremely powerful. I do not believe this song/video has any kind of negative effect.
This kind of music inspires the young generation.

Absolutely correct. I was involved with the music industry back there for quite some time. This kind of punjabi music is always an influence.

The young generation are starved for good meaningful material.
At the moment there are too many musicians on the band wagon just trying to make a quick buck. These seem to overshadow good quality musicians and producers that are trying to send out good messages to the correct audience.
The UK punjabi music industry has done a great deal more than india in many ways.
You would be surprised of how many youth in UK have gone on to learn punjabi just because they were so influenced cultuturally by the music!!

We should encourage such steps that are taken anywhere in the industry.

Apr 11, 2007
I wonder why people do not make more catchy sounding Kirtan songs for the new generation to get them interested. Even having the gurbani put into a new form of tune why do people not apply a bass line to that? They do to love songs to catch a partner what about a beautiful tune to catch gods love. I know people try their best with the raag's and kirtans in the temples, with the tabla and the harmonia but seriously I have heard the call to prayer in Islam and it sounds awesome even though I do not understand it but it makes you want to listen. I have heard men read the gurbani aswell when you go to the temple and the level of love they apply in their voices makes you sit up sometimes but the level of the tune in their voices that I have listened to has not had the same effect.

sceneario for this situation is; Its like listening to bob marley because you like the meaning of the words of the song, then listening to a r'n'b song about sex drugs and bad things because the music sounds good and nothing else, we need a balance in it. I find a lot of peoples attention span lasts longer if they listen to something that is engaging to the ear. That is why bad things are so prevalent the media is a powerful tool and people use it to make the bad things sound catchy but the good things sound dull.

The granthis try their best I guess but why do we not apply so much love to the words revealed from god? I understand that people may not take it seriously, but why? The music is from a soul for the soul obviously the message is not just about the music, the tune gives a great deliverance of the message it is about the song that is being song aswell the words of the song that are in the gurbani ! I dont know maybe not rave music applied to the gurbani but then again why not? They say; music is the food of love then why dont we use the words in the gurbani to help feed it. Music and words compliement each other more than anything else a person can experience. The right words and the right music can make for the best spirtual experience to touch all living souls!

In the song we see and hear a young man talking about the ills of society, they have existed since man can remember, what he says in the song is not helping improve the situations he has talked about, he has not given any guidance to say dont use your old fellow dad as a cash machine he has just stated something, what effect does that have nothing! Why did he not use the guidance that comes from gurbani. So instead of making himself and the fellow young singhs look regal and majestic why does he not apply that propaganda to make god look regal and majestic instead. Show gods might in the music, maybe show a mountain and an ant and show the insignificance of it all under god. Instead of showing all the ills show the greatness of the supreme god. The band of brothers in the video stand together but they are nothing on the scale of life. We are humans a species how many species are becoming extinct daily. What was the point of showing this might of the singhs they are nothing mighty in the presence of god. The song if they are doing it for religious purposes should be to show the greatness of god like the guru granth sahib describes. Like all men of god have beautifully described. The form of the video is to promote the individual and the singhs in the video not god. So why use religion as the base for the song? Please tell me where in the message they promote god? Although god exists in all I mean where did he promote god, not guru, not sikhs, not humans. I mean GOD, as in everything, as god is in everything they should describe everything the big and small every inch to every mile, the undescribable GOD! The limitless, The words in the Guru Granth Sahib no enemies, no fear at one with all. That is the songs of god that they should be singing! The praises of GOD!

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Parma ji, I totally get what you're saying!! peacesignkaur

It is my understanding that there is already a modern kirtan movement. The Gyaniji at the Gurdwara I go to was telling me about playing the tabla and how he thinks it is more difficult playing tabla for classical kirtan. When I looked at him with the trademark blank stare of all newbies, he said the kirtan they play in Darbar Sahib is 'modern'.

Some of the tunes are actually pretty catchy I think. And when our youth perform (once a month) their kirtan always sounds a bit more groovy and maybe because they're young and inspired when they sing it is with passion. I love it when kirtanees close their eyes when they're singing cos you know they're really getting into it. *swoons *

Also there are artists who are doing innovative things with kirtan, like Dya Singh for example. I have his Nitnem CDs and he says in the booklet that he's set them to music in such a way as to be useful for exercise as a way to engage the youth, and he uses a mix of traditional and modern (ie electric guitar!!) instruments to create a mosaic of pious and inspirational feelings in the younger (and I guess more Westernised) audience.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Parmaji,
There are many that attempt catchy tunes and melodies to get a more deeper musical influence on kirtan and shabads.
I actually do this myself, but the problem is getting this across mainstream and the fear of how it will be accepted.
See the post regarding 'kachi bani' and you may get a better idea.

It is a term that is quite misused and often quoted to slander genuine raagi.
I myself have composed my own kirtan with my own melodies, beats and tunes that I find very inspiring. But I record these for my own personal use only due to this misused stigma of 'kach bani' because the shabad is composed without the relevent raag.

Most people don't see a problem with this, but the few that do, make a loud enough noise!!!

This is the main personal problem that I have encountered in trying to get such music composed and produced.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
I absolutely love classical music and Gurbani has been written in raags for a reason. Raag is a feeling. This has direct impact how gurbani is understood and felt. There is always going to be a strong western culture influence on the generation that is born in the West, this is never going to change as this is their home.

I think we need to work a bit harder and teach our children punjabi. We have too much precious heritage,culture too loose if we keep up this behaviour.

Why can the youngsters not be taught about classical music? We have kirtan classes in our gurudwara every week. I have learned tabla from there and will be taking my son when he is old enough.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Does anyone know if raags have Western music equivalents? Western music also has the ability to evoke a feeling within the listener.

Does the feeling music evokes change with time? Does a sad song only sound sad because it has sad lyrics? Or is there something deeper and subconscious that is stirred by sounds universally (notwithstanding the meaning of the lyrics)?

I would be interested in hearing some examples of classical kirtan in raags with their corresponding 'feeling' noted and see what I 'feel' from the music. I'm thinking it might be a cultural thing and if so, kirtan in praise of Guruji and all things Lofty and Excellent shouldn't be limited to classical raags but given full license to move across musical styles, instruments and tempos.

In my humble opinion.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Catchy tunes will make you catch the tune but not the Gurbani. If someone has real interest in listening to Gurbani, they will do so when presented in Raag. There is usually our own mental block that we cannot understand some kind of Kirtan because it is too classical or too indian for one to continue listening.

I think this Anhad band has come out with rock music:
ANHAD - Live at SoulNation - Sagal Dwar - YouTube

But I feel that the guitar solos take more center stage, and rock music is known to invoke aggressive emotions, not passive or peace of mind ones.

Kirtan is a song of devotion, not emotion!

Apr 11, 2007
Where do people get this concept of kuchi bani from they are dividing the Gurbani aswell? They talk about Turki Bani and so on. There making things up as they go along and ruining gods faith. There is only "suchi bani" end of and if the person is reading it correctly and pronouncing it correctly there should not be a problem. Mr kanwaljit Ji, Yes music does help you catch and remember words, ask a child any song they like and they will know the words play something dull sounding and they will not bother going any further to learn the words as they are put off on the first point. Look it is not about making gurdwara's into disco's you mad people. The point is getting the shabad across into a rhythem people like. At the time of the guru's they were not lucky enough to have the chance to have such instruments as keyboards computers to make a real unique sound what is wrong with that? Apart from people that dont like nothing new because they are not Sikh they are not developing and not learning so they are not growing hence they are not a sikh, or they are not embracing the concept fully anyway! This stuck up old established order needs a wake up call. If they do not wake up they will become a dera simple. People have had enough with this sanctamonious bull that does not give any guidance apart from wear a turban and 5 k's because it is their fashion accesory and code!
What really upsets me is when people say; minu sikh ni piyara minu rehat piyari. Where you going to find these extra sikhs to follow your rehat. You do not like sikhs. Singhs you bought down Maharaja Ranjit Singh Raj with your madenss! Do not bring down a religion!

Bring it on! Wake up to reality! I've had enough of this madness! Where has god gone from the religion where has the love gone? The shabad is about god.

Lucky ji no one can dictate your religion to you! Keep up the good work if these small minded people do not like your seva tell them to take their opinions with them we are lucky we live in civilized societies any threats can be dealt with by the authorities. Let them weep in their own madness while you carry on experssing your love for God! I would love to listen to your efforts!

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Following from Alam Lohar but I believe he makes at least one word error in saying,

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjDFmJUOBzo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjDFmJUOBzo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Lucky Singh ji..you are mixing up "Kachi Bani" with "Kacha Raag".....the two are different.

Kachi bani is poetry WITHOUT THE SATGUR/GURU element. Only the Bani thats IN the SGGS is Pakki and True....all other poetry outside SGGS is Kachi ....as Guru Ji declares in Anand Sahib.. SATGUR BINA HOR KACHI BANI..Kehndeh Kache, sundeh kacheh Kacheen aakh vikhannee...so clearly. Gurbani has to be about the Creator, OF the Creator and By the Creator....Jaisee mein aweh.. KHASAM KI BANI...tessrra karin gyan we Lalo..AS IT comes form Him..I write it down...iluuminate.... says Guru nanak.

So when we have a Dhadriwallh sant for example..sitting down on a KIRTAN STAGE in the Presence of SGGS, in the EXACT same style of KIRTAN RAAGIS....but instead of singing GURBANI form SGGS.....he sings two liners like....AA Giya Vanjara Bhabi pvaleh choorrian....AA Giyah Baba Ved rogian Da....Haath jorr ke betho Ji..Singh laggeh charnee...OVER and Over again..asking the sangat to REFRAIN after himslef..THAT is called "Kachi Bani" becasue hes trying to market "Fake man made POETRY/JINGLES" as Gurbani kirtan. Those are called DHAARNAS and most Sants of deras love it ebcasue these are TAUGHT Vocally/Oral tradition...while GURBANI KIRTAN has to be learnt by vigorous hard work form an established Raagi/Tabla Master etc....so the uneducated snats take the EASY WAY OUT....obvioulsy ..

Pakka RAAG are the ORIGINAL Raags in which Gurbani is written..Raag Asa, maajh, gaurree bilawal etc etc..31 in all. "Kacha" raag would be mixtures etc..remixing..and i dont think that bad..or anything like that...experimenting with mixing/remixes etc is not banned...Becasue obviously no one would.."announce..I am now singing Raag ASA...and then go ahead and belt out a re-mix of something ??....BUT those singing Katchi bani do "announce" ( in a way by their seating on Kirtan Stage/sggs presence/vajas and tablas etc) that they are going to SING ORIGINAL GURBANI/KIRTAN"..BUt then go ahead and sing MAN MADE POEMS/JINGLES. That is reprehensible and rightly condemned..as its MISCONCEPTION. IF they STAND UP...like the POETS..DHADEES etc do..and SING POEMS..jingles..whatever...thats Perfectly OK..because KIRTAN is never done STANDING UP...in a Gurdawara and certainly never in Darbar sahib/Takhats.

So theres a big difference between RAAG and BANI.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: