• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sanskrit Is Derived From Tamil

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
Sat Sri Akal,
I have spent quite a number of years in Southern India and have learnt Tamil quite well. I find that the words of Tamil in their pure form have very little correlation with Sanskrit and can be considered as one of the oldest languages of human society. Tamil may be called the origin of languages of Southern India i.e. Dravidian Languages. However, Sanskrit may also equally old and could have co-existed with Tamil but in the Aryan society. The claim made by some Sanskrit patrons that it is the origin of all Indian languages does not hold good in case of Tamil.

Regards:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sanskrit and Tamil have independent origins. Tamil is older than Sanskrit. And Sanskrit is not as old as old Punjabi.

Language and politics are not easy to disentangle and the biases of the blogger may have need of review.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

As I know, before the entry of Aryans into India, the Dravidian languages were spoken by the inhabitants of India; Tamil language is one of the many Dravidian languages presently spoken in India. Sanskrit has borowed a lot from these languages.

The route that Aryans have followed doesnot have hard Dee where one has to turn the tounge upward as in Ladkee (girl) or Ladka (boy). These sounds and many more in Sanskrit and its derivatives have been borrowd from Dravidian Languages. The root or mother language of Latin and Sanskrit is the same. That is why Sanskrit is included in Indo Europian group of languages.

Tamil could not be linked to any language that existed outside India. It is truly Indian language that has origin and history of evolution in India. As I know, there is only one word which is similar in Tamil and Hybrew - the one used for pea{censored}.

Some of the seals of Harrapan civilisation have been deciphered using Dravidian languages, indiacating that it prevailed in India much before the arrival of Sanskrit.

With love and respect for all

Amarpal Singh

P.S. The paper connecting Harapan seals with Dravidian languages had appeared long back in Scientific American. I do not have the reference.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Khalsa Ji,

As I know, before the entry of Aryans into India, the Dravidian languages were spoken by the inhabitants of India; Tamil language is one of the many Dravidian languages presently spoken in India. Sanskrit has borowed a lot from these languages.

The route that Aryans have followed doesnot have hard Dee where one has to turn the tounge upward as in Ladkee (girl) or Ladka (boy). These sounds and many more in Sanskrit and its derivatives have been borrowd from Dravidian Languages. The root or mother language of Latin and Sanskrit is the same. That is why Sanskrit is included in Indo Europian group of languages.

Tamil could not be linked to any language that existed outside India. It is truly Indian language that has origin and history of evolution in India. As I know, there is only one word which is similar in Tamil and Hybrew - the one used for pea{censored}.

Some of the seals of Harrapan civilisation have been deciphered using Dravidian languages, indiacating that it prevailed in India much before the arrival of Sanskrit.

With love and respect for all

Amarpal Singh

P.S. The paper connecting Harapan seals with Dravidian languages had appeared long back in Scientific American. I do not have the reference.

This is totally true according to the scholarship on this subject available to us at this time. Thank you

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM