• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Salok Sheikh Farid Ji 26-40 / ਸਲੋਕ ਸੇਖ ਫਰੀਦ ਕੇ ੨੬ - ੪੦

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਮਃ …………….
Mėhlā 3. ……………. Continued
Guru Amardas ji (Farid ji Salok per Guru Amar Das ji)

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਮੈ ਭੋਲਾਵਾ ਪਗ ਦਾ ਮਤੁ ਮੈਲੀ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ਗਹਿਲਾ ਰੂਹੁ ਜਾਣਈ ਸਿਰੁ ਭੀ ਮਿਟੀ ਖਾਇ ੨੬॥
Farīḏā mai bẖolāvā pag ḏā maṯ mailī ho▫e jā▫e. Gahilā rūhu na jāṇ▫ī sir bẖī mitī kẖā▫e. ||26||
Farid, I fear in case my turban gets dirty. Careless soul does not know that head too will be eaten by dust.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਸਕਰ ਖੰਡੁ ਨਿਵਾਤ ਗੁੜੁ ਮਾਖਿਓ*ੁ ਮਾਂਝਾ ਦੁਧੁ ਸਭੇ ਵਸਤੂ ਮਿਠੀਆਂ ਰਬ ਪੁਜਨਿ ਤੁਧੁ ੨੭॥
Farīḏā sakar kẖand nivāṯ guṛ mākẖi▫o māʼnjẖā ḏuḏẖ. Sabẖe vasṯū miṯẖī▫āʼn rab na pujan ṯuḏẖ. ||27||
Farid, raw co{censored} sugar, sugar, crystalline sugar, brown sugar, honey and buffalo’s milk. All these things sweet but these so not approach the creator.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਲਾਵਣੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੁਖ ਜਿਨਾ ਖਾਧੀ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਘਣੇ ਸਹਨਿਗੇ ਦੁਖ ੨੮॥
Farīḏā rotī merī kāṯẖ kī lāvaṇ merī bẖukẖ. Jinā kẖāḏẖī cẖopṛī gẖaṇe sėhnige ḏukẖ. ||28||
Farid bread of wood and my hunger is the dish. Those eating buttered will suffer a lot of pain.
ਰੁਖੀ ਸੁਖੀ ਖਾਇ ਕੈ ਠੰਢਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਪੀਉ ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਨਾ ਤਰਸਾਏ ਜੀਉ ੨੯॥
Rukẖī sukẖī kẖā▫e kai ṯẖandẖā pāṇī pī▫o. Farīḏā ḏekẖ parā▫ī cẖopṛī nā ṯarsā▫e jī▫o. ||29||
After so eating stale and dry, drink cold water. Farid seeing someone’s buttered don’t covet in the heart.
ਅਜੁ ਸੁਤੀ ਕੰਤ ਸਿਉ ਅੰਗੁ ਮੁੜੇ ਮੁੜਿ ਜਾਇ ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਡੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਤੁਮ ਕਿਉ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ੩੦॥
Aj na suṯī kanṯ si▫o ang muṛe muṛ jā▫e. Jā▫e pucẖẖahu dohāgaṇī ṯum ki▫o raiṇ vihā▫e. ||30||
Today did not sleep with the spouse all body parts feel as though breaking. Go ask the deserted ones, how they spend the night.
ਸਾਹੁਰੈ ਢੋਈ ਨਾ ਲਹੈ ਪੇਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਥਾਉ ਪਿਰੁ ਵਾਤੜੀ ਪੁਛਈ ਧਨ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਨਾਉ ੩੧॥
Sāhurai dẖo▫ī nā lahai pe▫ī▫ai nāhī thā▫o. Pir vāṯ▫ṛī na pucẖẖ▫ī ḏẖan sohagaṇ nā▫o. ||31||
No place at in-laws, no place at parent’s place. Husband does not care, woman still is considered married.

Guru ji note,

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਸਾਹੁਰੈ
ਸਾਹੁਰੈ ਪੇਈਐ ਕੰਤ ਕੀ ਕੰਤੁ ਅਗੰਮੁ ਅਥਾਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਜੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਬੇਪਰਵਾਹ ੩੨॥
Sāhurai pe▫ī▫ai kanṯ kī kanṯ agamm athāhu. Nānak so sohāgaṇī jo bẖāvai beparvāh. ||32||
In-laws and parents of master, one so inaccessible and unfathomable. Nanak so is happily married, who is cherished by the carefree.

ਨਾਤੀ ਧੋਤੀ ਸੰਬਹੀ ਸੁਤੀ ਆਇ ਨਚਿੰਦੁ ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਹੀ ਸੁ ਬੇੜੀ ਹਿੰਙੁ ਦੀ ਗਈ ਕਥੂਰੀ ਗੰਧੁ ੩੩॥
Nāṯī ḏẖoṯī sambhī suṯī ā▫e nacẖinḏ. Farīḏā rahī so beṛī hiń ḏī ga▫ī kathūrī ganḏẖ. ||33||
Bathing, washing and making up sleeps so carefree. Farid such so tainted like with asafetida and the smell of musk is gone.
ਜੋਬਨ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਨਾ ਡਰਾਂ ਜੇ ਸਹ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਜਾਇ ਫਰੀਦਾ .ਕਿਤੀ ਜੋਬਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਸੁਕਿ ਗਏ ਕੁਮਲਾਇ ੩੪॥
Joban jāʼnḏe nā darāʼn je sah parīṯ na jā▫e. Farīḏā kiṯīʼn joban parīṯ bin suk ga▫e kumlā▫e. ||34||
If love with the creator is not lost, don’t worry about passing youth. Farid millions with youthfulness heave become withered and dry without love.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਚਿੰਤ ਖਟੋਲਾ ਵਾਣੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਬਿਰਹਿ ਵਿਛਾਵਣ ਲੇਫੁ ਏਹੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਜੀਵਣਾ ਤੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਚੇ ਵੇਖੁ ੩੫॥
Farīḏā cẖinṯ kẖatolā vāṇ ḏukẖ birėh vicẖẖāvaṇ lef. Ėhu hamārā jīvṇā ṯū sāhib sacẖe vekẖ. ||35||
Farid anxiety is little cot, woven of jute string as pain, separation is the under pad. True creator you see, such is our living.
ਬਿਰਹਾ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਤੂ ਸੁਲਤਾਨੁ ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਬਿਰਹੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਸੋ ਤਨੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਮਸਾਨੁ ੩੬॥
Birhā birhā ākẖī▫ai birhā ṯū sulṯān. Farīḏā jiṯ ṯan birahu na ūpjai so ṯan jāṇ masān. ||36||
Separation and separation stated, separation you are the master. Farid such body that does not show separation, consider such to be dead.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਵਿਸੁ ਗੰਦਲਾ ਧਰੀਆਂ ਖੰਡੁ ਲਿਵਾੜਿ ਇਕਿ ਰਾਹੇਦੇ ਰਹਿ ਗਏ ਇਕਿ ਰਾਧੀ ਗਏ ਉਜਾੜਿ ੩੭॥
Farīḏā e vis ganḏlā ḏẖarī▫āʼn kẖand livāṛ. Ik rāheḏe rėh ga▫e ik rāḏẖī ga▫e ujāṛ. ||37||
Farid worldly possessions like poisoned sprouts coated with sugar. Ones expired so planting, ones expired having exploited.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਚਾਰਿ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਹੰਢਿ ਕੈ ਚਾਰਿ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਸੰਮਿ ਲੇਖਾ ਰਬੁ ਮੰਗੇਸੀਆ ਤੂ ਆਂਹੋ ਕੇਰ੍ਹੇ ਕੰਮਿ ੩੮॥
Farīḏā cẖār gavā▫i▫ā handẖ kai cẖār gavā▫i▫ā samm. Lekẖā rab mangesī▫ā ṯū āʼnho kerĥe kamm. ||38||
Farid twelve hours spent wandering, twelve hours so sleeping. Creator will ask for accounting, what purpose did you come here for.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦਰਿ ਦਰਵਾਜੈ ਜਾਇ ਕੈ ਕਿਉ ਡਿਠੋ ਘੜੀਆਲੁ ਏਹੁ ਨਿਦੋਸਾਂ ਮਾਰੀਐ ਹਮ ਦੋਸਾਂ ਦਾ ਕਿਆ ਹਾਲੁ ੩੯॥
Farīḏā ḏar ḏarvājai jā▫e kai ki▫o diṯẖo gẖaṛī▫āl. Ėhu niḏosāʼn mārī▫ai ham ḏosāʼn ḏā ki▫ā hāl. ||39||
Farid going to door entrance did you see the ringer plate. Such blameless is beaten what happens to us of much blame.
ਘੜੀਏ ਘੜੀਏ ਮਾਰੀਐ ਪਹਰੀ ਲਹੈ ਸਜਾਇ ਸੋ ਹੇੜਾ ਘੜੀਆਲ ਜਿਉ ਡੁਖੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ੪੦॥
Gẖaṛī▫e gẖaṛī▫e mārī▫ai pahrī lahai sajā▫e. So heṛā gẖaṛī▫āl ji▫o dukẖī raiṇ vihā▫e. ||40||
Hour by hour such gets beaten, every day so punished. So body like ringer plate, spends the night in agony.
ESSENCE: Farid ji state how superficial cleanliness ignores the really needed cleanliness, the worldly elements as tasty and enticing do not take one to the creator, a simple life will save versus the splurged living, no need to be jealous how ell others eat or do, the pain of de-linking from the creator is unbearable, we may think we are living but really if we forget where we came from and where we are, it could hardly be so.

Guru ji note in Salok 32 how the one beloved by the limitless creator is cherished and carefree.

Farid ji note all bathed and made up but still smells bad, one cannot be distressed about passage of youth if the connection with creator sustains as without such one truly withers, it is not easy to live with separation from the creator and creator sees such too, complaining about separation is useless as without recognizing the separation one is like the dead, worldly possessions are nothing but sweet poison, not recognizing priorities for understanding the creator will make helpless to address when accounting for what was achieved in life, look at the state of a hapless ringer plate being struck all the time without a fault and just imagine our state when full of faults.

However one needs to recognize how body is affected in such state of battering without understanding of the creator.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Sloaks 26 - 38 at about 6:58 -- End of the following video, ,

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pBv7a1QWxu0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Sloaks 39 - 40 at about 0:00 -- 0:28 of the following video,
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOrbrFJURYM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
"...Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists. Kiss their feet and return to your own home..."

:happy:

Wonderful, just wonderful wisdom. Returning love for hatred, breaking the cycle of evil, turning the other cheek, doing good to one's enemies. A truly Blessed man.

And I adore those comforting descriptions of the soul as "bride" and "death" as the groom. Indeed death is inescapable. It is the only certainty in life and it comes to us all.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Literal interpretation of above sabd by most of the senior scholars is if someone hits you, instead of retailiating go to their home and kiss their feet. In other words, if rioter come to burn you alive, give them kerosene to burn you alive. When your leaders don't succeed to get you justice for 1984 rioters, and if a 'mard ka chyela' happily wants to go to the gallows instead of glorifying and feeling shame on your impotency, Supreme Court makes fun and call him a criminal, it is the result of wrong interpretation and understanding of our inner voice.

Anyhow let us understand the depth of above sabd and in which context it is written. When we delve into a bit, we realize the theme in the serials of sabd is not violence but 'vikars'. Gurbani is telling us, instead with the help of guru ki mat you retialiate and bounce back on the vikars which are eroding your life, you are further committing blunders of associating with them.

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Many times we say we wear turbans to protect our hair from getting dirty. This line opens our eyes that we still don't know the reason for wearing dastar!

Farīḏā mai bẖolāvā pag ḏā maṯ mailī ho▫e jā▫e. Gahilā rūhu na jāṇ▫ī sir bẖī mitī kẖā▫e. ||26||
Farid, I fear in case my turban gets dirty. Careless soul does not know that head too will be eaten by dust.

Ambarsaria ji! One doubt! Doesn't first line mean:

Farid, I fear about my turban while my Matt (Budhi) gets dirty?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji thanks for your post.
Many times we say we wear turbans to protect our hair from getting dirty. This line opens our eyes that we still don't know the reason for wearing dastar!

Ambarsaria ji! One doubt! Doesn't first line mean:

Farid, I fear about my turban while my Matt (Budhi) gets dirty?
I post the specifics tha I derived my understanding out of as below,
ਗਹਿਲਾ ਰੂਹੁ ਜਾਣਈ ਸਿਰੁ ਭੀ ਮਿਟੀ ਖਾਇ ॥੨੬॥

गहिला रूहु न जाणई सिरु भी मिटी खाइ ॥२६॥

Gahilā rūhu na jāṇ▫ī sir bẖī mitī kẖā▫e. ||26||

My thoughtless self did not realize that one day, dust will consume my head as well. ||26||

ਪ੍ਰੰਤੂ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੜੀ ਨੂੰ ਖਬਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਿ ਮੇਰੇ ਸੀਸ ਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਨੇ ਖਾ ਜਾਣਾ ਹੈ।

ਗਹਿਲਾ = ਬੇਪਰਵਾਹ, ਗ਼ਾਫ਼ਿਲ। ਜਾਣਈ = ਜਾਣਦਾ ॥੨੬॥
ਪਰ ਕਮਲੀ ਜਿੰਦ ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦੀ ਕਿ ਮਿੱਟੀ (ਤਾਂ) ਸਿਰ ਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਖਾ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ॥੨੬॥
Farid ji is a wonderful teacher. Here to me they talk about the superficiality of our ways. Little bit of dirt on the turban may perturb someone greatly and dirt is considered so bad. Farid ji simply observe that to rise above such trivialities as the same dirt absorbs us one day. Lesson is to not to sweat the small stuff and focus on the bigger parts of life like spirituality, good living, etc.

I don't make such observations in my essence as these are more or less a gut feel and very individual with a bit removed from the literals. Noted here just for discourse.

Fundamental is to listen to teacher's words, recognize teacher's application of the words (say metaphoric or analogy usage), get the message and learn to live so.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਮੈ ਭੋਲਾਵਾ ਪਗ ਦਾ ਮਤੁ ਮੈਲੀ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਗਹਿਲਾ ਰੂਹੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਈ ਸਿਰੁ ਭੀ ਮਿਟੀ ਖਾਇ ॥੨੬॥

--------------

Gurbani is universal and for everyone. Thus I think in above sloke, Farid is not referring to turban which everyone does not wear but is concerned about the PATH and not turban.

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: