• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sabd Guru On Turban/Pagri/ਦਸਤਾਰ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
SABD GURU ON TURBAN/PAGRI/ਦਸਤਾਰ

Turban has been used centuries before the Sikh way of life came in to being. It was a status symbol indicating superiority or leadership (ਸਿਕਦਾਰ) or was worn by kings etc. The spirituality touch to the turban can only be given by utilizing the moral values postulated by Guru Nanak to the sacred thread of Brahmin. Such a turban should have a twist of compassion, tucking the ends as contentment, tying being continence, truth its color, dharma its starch, and good deeds as its beautiful show.

ਦਇਆ ਕਪਾਹ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸੂਤੁ ਜਤੁ ਗੰਢੀ ਸਤੁ ਵਟੁ ॥

Da-i-aa Kapaah Santokh Soot Jat Gandhee Sat Vat.

Make compassion the cotton, contentment the thread, modesty the knot and truth the twist. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 471-2

With out these moral values it is just an ordinary part of the dress to protect the hairs and when combined with other symbols is considered as a source of identity of Sikhs. Guru Nanak in Raag Asa calls these beliefs as rituals to a Brahmin;

ਦੁਇ ਧੋਤੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਪਾਟੰ ॥ਜੇ ਜਾਣਸਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰ ਕਰਮੰ ॥ਸਭਿ ਫੋਕਟ ਨਿਸਚਉ ਕਰਮੰ ॥

Du-ay Dhotee Bastar KapaataN, Jay Jaanas BarahmaN KarmaN, Sabh Fokat Nischa-o KarmaN.

Upon your head is a turban and you are wearing two loin cloths. If you knew the nature of God, you would know that all of these beliefs and rituals are in vain.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 470-17

Guru Arjan advised a Muslim in Raag Maru, total awareness of virtues as turban;

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਿਰਦਾਰ ਅਉਰਤ ਯਕੀਨਾ ॥ਰੰਗ ਤਮਾਸੇ ਮਾਣਿ ਹਕੀਨਾ ॥ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ॥

Kaa-i-aa Kirdaar A-urat Yakeenaa, Rang Tamaasay Maan Hakeenaa, Naapaak Paak Kar Hadoor Hadeesaa Saabat Soorat Dastaar Siraa.

Let good deeds be your body, and faith your bride. Play and enjoy the Akal Purkh's love and delight. Purify what is impure, and let the Akal Purkh's Presence be your religious tradition. Let your total awareness of these virtues be the turban on your head. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 1084-9

Such a beautiful turban metaphorically will never get filthy with sweat, nor lost or burnt, and finally will also be appealing to God. Guru Nanak advises a Brahmin on his sacred thread that blessed are such mortals wearing it in Raag Asa;

ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜੋ ਗਲਿ ਚਲੇ ਪਾਇ ॥

Dhan So Maanas Nankaa Jo Gal Chalay Paa-ay.

Blessed are those mortal beings, O Nanak, who wear such a thread around their necks. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 471-3

Kabir in Raag Gauri and Kidara, while Ravidas in Raag Sorath has been more sarcastic about these rituals of turban as well as the human body which remains here after death as dust;

ਜਿਹ ਸਿਰਿ ਰਚਿ ਰਚਿ ਬਾਧਤ ਪਾਗ ॥ਸੋ ਸਿਰੁ ਚੁੰਚ ਸਵਾਰਹਿ ਕਾਗ ॥ ਇਸੁ ਤਨ ਧਨ ਕੋ ਕਿਆ ਗਰਬਈਆ ॥ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਾਹੇ ਨ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ੍ਹ੍ਹੀਆ ॥ ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ॥ਇਹੀ ਹਵਾਲ ਹੋਹਿਗੇ ਤੇਰੇ ॥

Jih Sir Rach Rach BaaDhat Paag, So Sir Chunch Savaareh Kaag. Iss Tan Dhan Ko Ki-aa Garab-ee-aa, Raam Naam Kaahay Na Darirh-ee-aa. Kahat Kabir Sunhu mMn Myray, Iee Hvaal Hhigay Tyray.

That head which was once embellished with the finest turban, upon that head, the crow now cleans his beak. What pride should we take in this body and wealth? Why not hold tight to the Akal Purkh's Name instead? Says Kabir, listen, O my mind this may be your fate as well! -----Kabir, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 330

ਟੇਢੀ ਪਾਗ ਟੇਢੇ ਚਲੇ ਲਾਗੇ ਬੀਰੇ ਖਾਨ ॥ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਜੁ ਨ ਕਛੂਐ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਾਮੁ ਦੀਵਾਨ ॥ਰਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਹੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਿ ॥

Taydhee Paag Taydhay Chalay Laagay Beeray Khan, Bhaa-o Bhagat Si-o Kaaj Na Kachhoo-ai Mayro Kaam Deevaan, Raam Bisaari-o Hai Abhimaan.

Your turban is crooked, and you walk crooked; and now you have started chewing betel leaves. You have no use at all for loving devotional worship; you say you have business in court. In your egotistical pride, you have forgotten the Akal Purkh. -----Kabir, Raag Kidara, AGGS, Page, 1124-5

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Virinder Ji,
Imho...Its a bit far fetched to stretch the Threads of the Janeau..to the Dastaar.
The janeau is something far different...Its a BIRTH RIGHT/and can ONLY be given to a HINDU..by a BRAHMIN (BORN SO ). Further more a Janeau is of different types accordign to oens BORN CASTE.

2. A Brahmin while Praying doesnt wear a "Dastaar/Turban. The words used are doeh DHOTEE..two DHOTIS..one to wear..and the other to TEMPORARILY COVER the head ( ONLY FOR PRAYING)..then its REMOVED. a Dastaar is hardly fitting that description. The word used is WASTAR..cloth covering the head as in a rumaal type. The Khalsa is supposed to wear the DASTAAR 24/7 and is NOT just while "praying" and then removed and the Dastaar is never used as a Dhotee or vice versa.

3. Guru Ji REFUSED the Janeau...and wrote a Shaabd about it. But the GURUS all wore Dastaars...and no where has any Guru or Bhagt ji described the turban/dastaar as the Janeau. Its we who make these "connections".. No Guru ji ever REFUSED the Turban on any ocassion....its all our assumption....because the Mullahs also wore turbans....is there any shabad in sggs about the mullahs turban ?? maybe i missed something...because Guru ji has said a lot about the Mullah..and his prayers..etc

4. The Sheikh farid ji slok..is about HAUMAII. I have a neighbour..who is having a CREW CUT..and he spends almost 1 to 1 and half HOURS gettign his "hair" in order before he comes out...if one enters his bedroom he has more Gels, creams and Hair conditioners than an ordinary supermarket shelf..he makes SURE each short hair on hsi head is INDIVIDUALLY STYLED. My other neighbour is aSIKH Teenager...who just wears a Patka..BUT he IRONS (presses) his PATKA to take out every single tiny crease even AFTER he has tied it on HIS HEAD...he will stand in front of the mirror and take up the Hot Iron and iron the patka on his head !!..I Tie a Keski..and a 9 Metre Dastaar..and I get ready in under 5 minutes....and then complete nitnem/sukhmani shaib...while I WAIT for these two youngsters..to drive them to Uni. IF Sheikh ji were to SEE these TWO....His SLOK will Change in Vocabulary...from Bnadeh Paag...to ???? BECAUSE the PAAGH is NOT the central idea..BUT the HAUMAII..PRIDE of the PERSON in BEAUTIFYING HIMSELF !!! and his BODY.....when it will all be DUST soon enough and I am sure the CROW will also clean its beak on the CREW CUT's Head..irrespective of whether he ever wore a turban ???..or will the CROW just look for turbanned heads only ???

4. I realise now that we can stretch and pull any tuk any which way we like...like rubber...and Guru Jis Kirpa is needed and necessary to understand this agam agaadh bodh knolwedge..verily we do need the "kharrag of GYAAN"

Thanks and cordially

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Giani Ji,
I have no problem with the 5 K's and baptism and am all for it but I see that the virtues and 5 thieves are not given the same importance and are left behind by Khalsa. Should the Khalsa start putting equal emphasis on Truth (God Itself), compassion, contentment, Righteousness, and fortitude with control on 5 thieves specially Haumai of being superior to others by considering all equal despite the fallacies of others in their view and progress on their spirituality by ignoring others; these discussions and out stretching in your view will stop; all can live with individual understanding of his/her spirituality rather being hammered on daily basis at every level. Live and let live should be the motto and leaving others to their own understanding of their own higher power. Teachings should be to get rid of empty rituals and my way or high way should be stopped.

It was a pleasure to have an interaction with a teacher, mentor, and spiritually evolved person.

Have a good day. These discussions from side are over.

With warm Regards Always.

Cordially,

Virinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: