• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Saache-te Pavna Bhaiya

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
"Saach-e te pavna bhaiaa, pavn-e te jal ho-e; jal te tribhavan saaajiaa ghtt ghatt joy samo-e. P 19.
Most quoted translation/interpretation is by Dr Sant Singh Khalsa/Manmohan Singh is as follows:
From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light or The air came from the Eternal, from air/came water and with water (tribhavan = three regions) the whole creation was made and the Creator is present in everything/one. `
-------------
Scientifically it is not possible that the Earth or so-called mythical trebhavans as has been interpreted by many could be formed from Water. Even the sequence seems incorrect as scientifically, water on the earth appeared after formation of Earth. If we propagate that Guru Nanak says that the Earth was formed from water it is the same way to say that Sun revolves around the Earth. No-one of this Age of Science will believe such concepts. Then what is the truth? Have we made blunder in understanding the gurbani? In order to ensure consistency, let us check from the Rahao – the central idea of the sabd.
"ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਤਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥"

‘ਮਨ ਰੇ’ the pankti is referring to myself as a first person and guiding me that the motive of a human being in this life is to become ‘sachiara’ through adopting the attributes of Truth. If I don't, then I will keep on tossing and turning every second (spiritual death) through committing offences because of my flawed thinking. When the main theme of the pankti is related with ‘sachiara’, then how come all of a sudden, theme is changed to formation of universe needs to be understood from gurbani only.

First one is 'sachai te - from TRUTH, Pavna bhaiya - descended the divine wisdom but on 'pavnai tai jal hoey' veil of illusion fell. This is my understanding as I am trying to understand meaning of jal from this pankti, 'madho jal ki piyas na jaaey. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 323.17- Is 'jal' thirsty that guru sahib is telling 'madho' the manh, that thirst of 'jal' cannot be quenched. While reflecting upon the rahao pankti which is central idea, meaning of 'jal' only depicts 'fire of desire' and not water.
Further what is tribhavan then?
Let check how many types of bhavan have been mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.:
1. ਚਿੰਤ ਭਵਨਿ ਮਨੁ ਪਰਿਓ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥ 'ਚਿੰਤ ਭਵਨਿ' where kings used to lament 'shock sabha' - ' my mind is turned into worry room' that mean it is not related with universe but an area upon my mind.
2. ਤਿਹੀ ਗੁਣੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝ ਬੁਝਾਇ ॥ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਲਗਿ ਛੂਟੀਐ ਭਾਈ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਗਿਆਨੀਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ - the three gunas - Tamas (the quality of darkness and inertia), Rajas (the quality of energy and activity) and Satva (the quality of purity and light). The Gurmukh who realizes the fourth state is called “the Turiya avastha or Parampad.” - Guru Granth ang.940.15. Again it is not related with universe but an area upon my mind.
3. ਤੀਨਿ ਭਵਨ ਮਹਿ ਏਕਾ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਮੂਰਖਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ॥ Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 424.6 Again it is not related with universe but ‘ਤੀਨਿ ਭਵਨ’ means durmat as maya.
4. And tribhavan - ਏਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਸਭ ਮੂਲੁ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ thus as I understand what rottens or distance me from truth is maiya and guru sahib through rahao pankti is advising me to associate with sabd to conquer this maiya.

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere
best regards sahni mohinder

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM