• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rss

Legumes

SPNer
Jul 29, 2005
As in the manner of all things formal, an intoduction is necessary and initial; my name (for this forum) is Legumes, and hello to you all. Of course this is not my real name, but I would like to tell you that:
I am a 17 year old male coming from devout Sikh parents, I kept my hair until I was 13 and for reasons unknown to myself, I cut it. My understanding of the basic tenets of Sikhi is solid, but my belief in them has wavered for years. Up until now; something has recently awakened in me, and that is disgust at the RSS, in particular this website:
http://www.info-sikh.com/PageRSS1.html
Well, a recent discussion about Britishness concluded that it was born out of its differences with the French; and so is my interest in Sikhi; with the differences with Hindus. Am I getting back into Sikhi for the wrong reasons?

Legumes

SPNer
Jul 29, 2005
Of Course, I'm sorry.

I understand what constitutes a Sikh; both externally and internally. The lives and the Wisdom of the Gurus, Bhagats, Sikh Heroes and Saints has inspired me throughout my life. I try earnestly to think of God whenever I can; however, like most people, that is during times of great happiness and sorrow. I have understood and believed in nearly everything Sikhi has taught me, yet I have been lazy in its implementation ie I have cut my hair, I drink occasionally and have smoked drugs with my friends during times we were out. Nothing I have encountered has naturally inspired me to get back into Sikhi ie wanting to be with God or enjoying the sound of his name. However, upon hearing the tactics of the Rss to distort the Sikhi faith has made me want to re-enter the religion. I was just wandering if my decision is valid in this sense; getting back into Sikhi, bot for the love of God, but to differentiate from these people.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Daer Legumes

I can understand what you are thinking and i have been under little bit same circumstances in my life, at your age (17) i had same kind of thinking about sikhi and being sikh. at that times somehow i got interested in god thing through some other sourse but not sikhi , and time went by my search contiued and led to nonr but sikhi! i well all these kind of things happen in accordance with gods will, and offcourse my circumstances could be very different from you but still i felt like sharing with you

about your decision of reverting to sikhi after reading rss propaganda well what i think is that you still identify yourself with sikhi and so you fell bad about the distorsion of it. you may not follow it but still sikhi stands great respect in your heart and the only thing that might be keeping you away might be laziness as in anyway spitual journey is kind of active process and it demands active participation
abot you r decision of geting back to sikhi well dont be afraid !( just joking) as it is not a one way process you use this oppertunity to check it out I dont think there is any harm in it what ever may be reason of your coming to it

Jatinder Singh

Legumes

SPNer
Jul 29, 2005
Thank you paaji, I am still coming to terms with the whole thing. Again, thanks for clearing that whole mess up for me a bit.:)

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Don't worry, we all need a kick start.

I started off with on a similar path and cause.
I was all about the history, all about the identity because Hindus/RSS had tried so hard to distort it. For a long time, I was a external Sikh and an atheist, about middle school to early high school years. I used to openly show my distaste for what the elders referred to as "God". And many of times, people told me to cut my hair, because I really wasn't a Sikh, and that I was in it for the wrong reasons, I didnt really love "God", I was a "fanatic", an 'extremist', the type of people "real" Sikhs shouldn't be. Years later, there telling their children to talk to me about issues their young kids are facing..

I love my identity and history till death, and tried to do everything to stop people like the RSS.

Little did I know this just kick-started me on my course of philosophy and Sikhi.

Whatever gets you involved with Sikhi as long as its not inflating the ego, or pursuit of fame/money ... can only be a good thing ;)

Don't worry about it...follow what your heart says, if its the history you love, then read the history, read the reasons behind why certain Sikhs acted a certain way, or looked a certain way. Read in-between the lines, and the philosophy will strike you in due time.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
S|kh veer and drkhalsa ji haves already given a detailed reply, which I am really delighted to read. S|kh, as usual, keeps on unfolding some or other aspect of his beliefs and life, which is inspiring to read. so dear legumes, Get into it, understand the values, and I am sure, after really understanding the values, you will be happy about your decision, as internally, you still identify yourself as a Sikh.

All the Best veer :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM