Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Requiring data entry in a lookup field

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by ChristaJ, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. ChristaJ

    ChristaJ
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I have created a table where 3 fields are lookups. They reference data in
    other tables. Although I have set the "Required" control in Properties to
    "Yes" my table still does not require me to enter anything. I am able to
    progress to the next line of data despite leaving those fields blank. What
    else do I need to do?
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Tom Wickerath

    Tom Wickerath
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Christa,

    You need to read the 10 Commandments of Access (specifically #2):
    http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

    Then perform an exorcism on your database to rid it of these nasty lookup
    fields.

    When you say "progress to the next line of data", do you mean move to the
    next field or move to the next record? This check is only enforced when you
    move to another record, after making the affected record "dirty" (ie. editing
    it). Does this field also include a default value? If so, the default might
    be getting entered but the nasty lookup is masking this because there is no
    corresponding value in the parent table.

    Tom

    http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
    __________________________________________

    "ChristaJ" wrote:

    I have created a table where 3 fields are lookups. They reference data in
    other tables. Although I have set the "Required" control in Properties to
    "Yes" my table still does not require me to enter anything. I am able to
    progress to the next line of data despite leaving those fields blank. What
    else do I need to do?
     
  4. ChristaJ

    ChristaJ
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    You're brilliant! Thanks for your help. Your idea about the default value
    was exactly right. The main table was inserting "0" as the default value and
    therefore considering it to be "filled in." I just deleted the "0" for each
    of those fields and it solved the problem. Thanks again. Have a great week!

    Christa

    "Tom Wickerath" wrote:

    > Christa,
    >
    > You need to read the 10 Commandments of Access (specifically #2):
    > http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm
    >
    > Then perform an exorcism on your database to rid it of these nasty lookup
    > fields.
    >
    > When you say "progress to the next line of data", do you mean move to the
    > next field or move to the next record? This check is only enforced when you
    > move to another record, after making the affected record "dirty" (ie. editing
    > it). Does this field also include a default value? If so, the default might
    > be getting entered but the nasty lookup is masking this because there is no
    > corresponding value in the parent table.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
    > __________________________________________
    >
    > "ChristaJ" wrote:
    >
    > I have created a table where 3 fields are lookups. They reference data in
    > other tables. Although I have set the "Required" control in Properties to
    > "Yes" my table still does not require me to enter anything. I am able to
    > progress to the next line of data despite leaving those fields blank. What
    > else do I need to do?
    >
     
  5. Tom Wickerath

    Tom Wickerath
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Hi Christa,

    Glad I could help. I still think you should remove the lookups, if you have
    not already done so.

    I wouldn't mind at all if you went back to my first reply and marked it as
    an answer.

    Good Luck on your project.


    Tom

    http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
    __________________________________________

    "ChristaJ" wrote:

    You're brilliant! Thanks for your help. Your idea about the default value
    was exactly right. The main table was inserting "0" as the default value and
    therefore considering it to be "filled in." I just deleted the "0" for each
    of those fields and it solved the problem. Thanks again. Have a great week!

    Christa
    ____________________________________________

    "Tom Wickerath" wrote:

    Christa,

    You need to read the 10 Commandments of Access (specifically #2):
    http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

    Then perform an exorcism on your database to rid it of these nasty lookup
    fields.

    When you say "progress to the next line of data", do you mean move to the
    next field or move to the next record? This check is only enforced when you
    move to another record, after making the affected record "dirty" (ie. editing
    it). Does this field also include a default value? If so, the default might
    be getting entered but the nasty lookup is masking this because there is no
    corresponding value in the parent table.

    Tom

    http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
    __________________________________________

    "ChristaJ" wrote:

    I have created a table where 3 fields are lookups. They reference data in
    other tables. Although I have set the "Required" control in Properties to
    "Yes" my table still does not require me to enter anything. I am able to
    progress to the next line of data despite leaving those fields blank. What
    else do I need to do?
     

Share This Page