Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Religion vs. Secularism

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by S|kH, Dec 25, 2004.

1. S|kH

Expand Collapse

Jul 11, 2004

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Secularism And Minority Religions Hard Talk Nov 26, 2010
    Literature Has Anyone Read: "The Sikh Religion: Its Gurus, Sacred Writings And Authors" Language, Arts & Culture Saturday at 6:10 AM
    Sikh News New Photos Examine The Beauty Of The Sikh Faith - World Religion News Breaking News Aug 10, 2016
    Sikh News Pakistan's Sikh Legacy: Beyond Religion, Beyond Borders - Times Of India (blog) Breaking News Aug 7, 2016
    Sikhism More Than Just Another Religion New to Sikhism Jul 25, 2016

3. ravisingh

Expand Collapse

Jan 21, 2005
    I'll keep it short it's late and I need sleep ...

I still don't get why you voted for Bush. Is it religiousness that lead him to order the deaths of 100,000 people on false pretences (WMD, links to terrorism --take your pick)? Do you honestly believe that you as a Sikh are better off with someone of his "religious" frame of mind than secular? It is the secular values that have led to the protection of the rights of minorities not religious ones.

Despite that, on your religious vs secularism point. Consider world history. What type of rule has led to the most benefits, secular states or theocratic states? Secularism (understood in its purest sense as separation of church and state) has proven to be a much better means of ensuring equality --what we expect from a just state.

I could write more on the Bezti controversy but my bed beckons ...