• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Religion Vs Culture

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
heres my little rant
ur all gna be related to it, trusst me
meaning i want allotta replies
i dno if ne1s made this thread b4, they probs have but well theres nothin rong with gettin the same point across twice
k so here goes

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh jeo

That music and those songs are welcome
Through which the mind is concentrated on Him
with ease. (Guru III, Bilawal Rag)

Ye, all good people, Sing the Lord's glory.
(Guru V, Bilawal Rag)

Some sang, but their minds die not enjoy,
They sang in vain in egotism;
They really sing, who love the Nam,
And contemplate on True Word.
(Guru III, Gauri Rag)

Whosoever hath belief, His singing bears fruit,
He is honoured in the Court of the Lord.
(Guru IV, SuhiRag)

That Raga is the noblest of all, my brother!
By which the Lord resideth in the heart.
(Guru IV, Shlokas)

then why people do we even bother listening to bhangra n bolliyan n rnb n hip hop n all that kinda stuff where the lyrics are not gna do us any gud when we finally leave these bodies of ours?
whats the point why are we wasting our time chasing after culture, when this is the culture thats corrupting us?
why dont we realise that in order to live peacefully and die in peac, we must jap naam
but instead we listen to these lyrics about "putt jattan de" when we know the caste system is against our dharam
and we listen to "ek glassy do glassy thin glassy chaar" whats that about? you know intoxicants are harming to both your body and your mind, alcohol is a drug, and not even a stimulant, its a depressant and if you really want to get high then listen to kirtan and jaap naam its a singhs ectacy. you cant reach chardi kala on a substance but you can with naam.
and "munde ne akh maari, kuri sharmaa gayi", when we know that as sikhs the munda shudnt be akh marring in the 1st place cus its a lustfull action
n then the girl shudnt me gettin all tomato colrd with sharam either, cus it means shes gt that lust aswel
so people, why dont we forget this false love and concentrate on waheguru ji instead, because waheguru ji is the only 1 who will give us true peace of mind

thers katha and vichar i hav saved lap-inder ji, which explains and say thats u shudnt
lisen to such musik. i.e. slokh by baba farid ji in futher explanation by giani thakur singh ji (damdami).
thers sant jarnail singh ji khalsa binderanwales speechs, in which he quotes "..sikhan da kam ni boliyan paun da..."
thers actaulli so much upon this topic but i suppose we lisen to such musik with a motive within us that
its 'acceptable' to do so, thou deep down we even know its wrong? kel was sayin its somthing thats generated from
vaisakhi i.e bhangra, crops, harvest etc etc fair enuf. but all that ther<< is it fair to say its a cultureral trend not a dharmik or right on religious grounds?
y hasnt our gurus provoked th idea bhangra or
other types of musik...? hmm... lol somthing we need to think bout, yh? hehe in selfconsceince, i rekon we know wer
we stand but we don say...? wud u lisen to such musik with guru gobind singh jis presence..., no? y?!
(thats my m8s wording not mine but im agreeing with it)

also
there are sm things that i find very disturbing, like sikhs keepin fasts fro karvachaoud
whats that about?
our gurus told us not to keep fasts and not to follow rituals
then why do we still do it?

Performing fasts, religious observances and atonements, the mortals have grown weary.
Guru Arjan Dev Ji Raag Aasaa 394

Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Siree Raag 75

Keeping your fasts, reciting your prayers, and reading the Kalma, the Islamic creed, shall not take you to paradise.
Bhagat Kabeer Ji Raag Aasaa 480

He bathes at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and adheres to fasts, but he has no control over his mind.
Guru Tegh Bahaadur Ji Raag Bilaaval 831

Without genuine understanding, all fasts, religious rituals and daily worship services lead only to the love of duality. ||7||
Guru Amar Daas Ji Raag Bilaaval 841

and finally

O Nanak, serving the Infinite, Divine Lord, one earns all the rewards and merits of performing the six rituals, fasts, worship services, pilgrimages to sacred rivers, and journeys to sacred shrines. ||2||1||57||8||21||7||57||93||
Guru Arjan Dev Ji Raag Bhairao 1153

basically what im saying is
theres no point performing fasts etc if your not gna do it with ek man ek chit
infact theres just no point performing fasts anyway
because japping naam from your heart (hridhay) is what will get you to waheguru ji, not starving yourself for your future husband.
also bowing to pictures and photos of guru ji is wrong
its idol worship
its like doing puja to a picture, like a ritual
which as stated above, wont get us anywhere
if you want to meet guru ji, then go to the gurudwara, where guru granth sahib ji sits on a throne
"sab sikhan ko hukum hai, guru maneyo GRANTH"
the jyot of the 10 gurus resides whithin our 11th guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Guru Khalsa Panth.

and also laydees
stop tying rakhriya on your brothers arms because you can look after yourself, you dont need your brother to look after you
n plus whats a lil string gna do? theres no magic in that string
if you wanna show pyaar to your brother then show it all year round, tie a string on his arm everyday
why do you need an excuse to love him?/
and brothers if your sisters dont stop tying rakhriya on you, then you should tie 1 on them, because there are tmes when the sister looks after her brother aswel arent there?
sikhi is about equality for all
including male and female equality

women, remember Mae Bhago Ji, our sister
Remember Mata Sahib Kaur Ji, our mother
and remember Mata Gujri Ji, our grandmother

these 3 are all women
all strong powerful women who could look after themselves
just like we can

also why do you celebrate lohri?
oh wow its a boy!!
so what?
what about when a girls born?
dont you get happy then?
without the mother there would be no males
and without the father there would be no females
if you cant have a child with just males and just females, then why do you celebrate lohri for only the male?
if its a joint effort, then girls too should be celebrated

anyway thats enough of the munda kuri argument

all i really wanted to say is
this is punjabi culture, not sikh religion
dont call yourself a sikh and follow the culture alone, in order to call yourself a sikh, you MUST follow guru ji's hukum
now you decide
do you want to be punjabi? or do you want to be sikh?

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!!

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
Technically there is no cultural effect on religion but unfortunately there are and people don't know how differentiate them...

Hukum Kaur

SPNer
Jul 6, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Part of being Sikh is to be a part of this world but not a part of it. A sort of neutral. When I listen to bangara music, somewhere in my mind i am still chanting waheguru, even if the lyrics talk of lust or attatchment. When I am dancing around the room, it is excercise. Two things you must do everyday to stay sain is laugh and sweat! If I run around critisizing everything that is not Gurbani, or Shabad, then no body will listen to what I have to say. The way to change a person is to have them fall in love with whoyou are. If I do seva and serve that person and show them my bliss in a world where errelivent things happen all around us, then I have gained their love and their ears and open minds. When I first found sikhism, i stored away every casset and tape that was not spiritualy uplifting. I hid ebery painful poem i ever wrote and even stoped calling old friends. I was afraid that evn family members would 'pull me down' and away from my path. A year later i grew strong enough to hear the old music again and to go out into the world and be exposed again to the lives of mamon and struggling saints. It is ok to listen to bangara music as long as we remember God. Their is nothing out side of God, Wahe Guru is in all.
Dont ever forget to have fun!

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Agrre totally with Hukum Kaur

My story sounds quite same . when I first strated tasting Sikhi i always thought the any thing other can pull me down so i avoided it but with grace of Akal I gained more and more strenght to appreciate spirtulity in almost anything ranging from all the old music i use to listen and realise that any thing good/pleasant ( we feel ) in world is basically the attribute of AKAL itself!

So even if my ear listen to Jagjit singh so vcalled relatively shallow ghazals my mind look for spirtual side of it and the and if any pleasant feeling that arises I thank God instead of the singer Jagjit Singh

Jatinder Singh
Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM