Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1.   Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   
    Target (Recurring Monthly): $200 :: Achieved: $98

RE: What is an overflow

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by AFSSkier, Jul 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. AFSSkier

AFSSkier
    Expand Collapse

I get the same “Numeric field overflow†(Error 3349). The help says “The
    data in a Btrieve field is too large to represent in your applicationâ€.

When I receive the error, I have been able to delete all of the extra unused
    field columns & then the query will run, until the next time it happens.
    However, I have a macro that runs the query as well as others.

I can save & close it w/out any extra fields & reopen it in Design View & it
    will have 4 – 8 extra columns back in it. Is there an option preference that
    can be set to only have 1 extra field column?

--
    Thanks, Kevin

"'69 Camaro" wrote:

> Hi.
    >
    > > What is an overflow

>
    > For a computer, it means that a computer command was given to store a value
    > higher or lower than the data type is capable of holding. The memory
    > location is only storing part of the actual number that it is attempting to
    > store, much like pouring too much water into a bucket. The bucket will
    > overflow, so the capacity of the bucket cannot be used to measure the actual
    > amount of water poured into it. The CPU is designed to notice this error and
    > alert the computer program so that it doesn't use the invalid data. Whenever
    > Access encounters this run-time error, the "Overflow" error message will be
    > displayed on the computer monitor so that the user is alerted to what type of
    > error Access is choking on.
    >
    > > how
    > > do I take care of this?

>
    > You'll need to do some investigating to determine the cause. The most
    > common cause is attempting to store a string (or text) data type in a
    > numerical variable. Another cause is to attempt to store a very large number
    > in a data type designed for small numbers. You may find some clues as to
    > where to look by answering the following questions:
    >
    > Is your report running a query or series of queries that make calculations,
    > then store this new data in a table? For example, trying to store a value
    > higher than 32,767 or lower than -32,768 in an integer data type field will
    > cause this error. Make sure that the field data types are big enough to hold
    > the intended data.
    >
    > Is the report running a query that inserts records into a table from a text
    > file? Sometimes the records can't be parsed correctly and a string value is
    > inadvertently assigned to be stored in a numerical field, which can't hold
    > it, during an import.
    >
    > Once you find the cause, you'll need to take steps to avoid the overflow
    > error, but those steps will depend entirely upon what causes the error.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Gunny
    >
    > See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
    > See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.
    >
    > (Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
    > will be forwarded to me.)
    > Beware to those who use munged addresses: known newsgroup E-mail harvesters
    > for spammers are Ripley@CASInternet.Net and scott@ripleysoftware.com
    >
    > - - -
    > When you see correct answers to your question posted in Microsoft's Online
    > Community, please sign in to the Community and mark these posts as "Answers,"
    > so that all may benefit by filtering on "Answered questions" and quickly
    > finding the right answers to similar questions. Remember that questions
    > answered the quickest are often from those who have a history of rewarding
    > the contributors who have taken the time to answer questions correctly.
    >
    >
    > "JOM" wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to run my reports and am receiving an error saying overflow, how
    > > do I take care of this?

2. Loading...

Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...

More people are visiting & reading SPN than ever but far fewer are paying to sustain it. Advertising revenues across the online media have fallen fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Donating to SPN's is vote for free speech, for diversity of opinions, for the right of the people to stand up to religious bigotry. Without any affiliation to any organization, this constant struggle takes a lot of hard work to sustain as we entirely depend on the contributions of our esteemed writers/readers. We do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too... Fund our efforts and together we can keep the world informed about the real Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. If everyone who writes or reads our content, who likes it, helps us to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. Every Contribution Matters, Contribute Generously!

Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution