Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Re: "Versioning" a .MDB file

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com

    aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Someone just emailed me virus exe and zip files, from an email address
    containing your forname.

    If this happens once again, I will immediately go here to report it:

    http://www.ifccfbi.gov/cf1.asp

    TC
     
  2. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On 5 Nov 2005 18:54:37 -0800, aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Someone just emailed me virus exe and zip files, from an email address
    >containing your forname.
    >
    >If this happens once again, I will immediately go here to report it:


    A couple of things:

    1. You posted this, not to a person, but to a couple of world-wide
    technical support newsgroups.

    2. The email almost certainly was "spoofed" - these viruses pick up
    email address (from newsgroups, from an infected computer's contacts
    list, etc.) and put them in the From: line, to conceal the actual
    origin of the message. Nobody here was intentionally sending you a
    virus.

    3. With good antivirus software - you should be able to trap these
    messages before they do any harm; with reasonable care (not opening
    unvouched .exe or zip files) you can keep safe anyway.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  3. TC

    TC
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    John Vinson wrote:
    > On 5 Nov 2005 18:54:37 -0800, aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Someone just emailed me virus exe and zip files, from an email address
    > >containing your forname.
    > >
    > >If this happens once again, I will immediately go here to report it:

    >
    > A couple of things:
    >
    > 1. You posted this, not to a person, but to a couple of world-wide
    > technical support newsgroups.


    I'm well aware of that. The person in question has aggressive arguments
    in various newsgroups. It's not unreasonable to alert the participants
    to this situation in case it happens to them.


    > 2. The email almost certainly was "spoofed" -


    I believe that it wasn't. The person in question was active on usenet
    at the exact same time that the email was sent (going from posts he
    made at the same time to other groups). The coincidence is, how shall I
    put it, "surprising".


    > 3. With good antivirus software - you should be able to trap these
    > messages before they do any harm; with reasonable care (not opening
    > unvouched .exe or zip files) you can keep safe anyway.


    I'm well aware of that.

    Cheers,
    TC
     
  4. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    "TC" <aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I believe that it wasn't. The person in question was active on usenet
    >at the exact same time that the email was sent (going from posts he
    >made at the same time to other groups). The coincidence is, how shall I
    >put it, "surprising".


    Ahh, interesting.

    FWIW I run my own web and email servers. It strips off all viruses
    before I even see them. I was a bit surprised one time when I took a
    look at the logs and realized someone had been sending me about 10,000
    viruses per day for the past three weeks.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     
  5. TC

    TC
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Holy crapola !! That sure is an awful lot of viruses !!!

    I remember around the time when Code Red came out. I had recently
    installed the ZoneAlarm personal firewall. One day, it started going
    mad. After I while, I decided to try & see what was happening. I
    managed to use netcap (from memory) to capture a few packets, & found
    it was indeed Code Red. I got hit continuously, from all over the
    world, for quite some time before it all died down. That was on a
    dialup connection!

    Cheers,
    TC
     
  6. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    "TC" <aatcbbtccctc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Holy crapola !! That sure is an awful lot of viruses !!!


    Yeah, but the system never even noticed it. I looked at the CPU %
    and it was only at a few %. Turns out they were all coming from the
    same IP address so I just blocked that IP address from within the mail
    server.

    >I remember around the time when Code Red came out. I had recently
    >installed the ZoneAlarm personal firewall. One day, it started going
    >mad. After I while, I decided to try & see what was happening. I
    >managed to use netcap (from memory) to capture a few packets, & found
    >it was indeed Code Red. I got hit continuously, from all over the
    >world, for quite some time before it all died down. That was on a
    >dialup connection!


    Yeah, same for me for the Slammer/Blaster, the one that hit the SQL
    Server port. On dialup too. All of a sudden I kept getting these
    port probe messages on the SQL Server port that Friday evening. I
    shrugged, kinda wondering if there was a virus and sure enough
    Saturday morning there was.

    Hence SQL Server is now part of Microsoft Update. <smile>

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     

Share This Page