Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

RE: Double data entry for data validation

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Jose, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jose

Jose
    Expand Collapse

I have tried several ways to do the update query as you suggest but each time
    I end up automatically overwriting the main table with the verification entry
    table. What am I doing wrong? If I follow you, the query is intended to
    report those variables where the two tables match.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Use two tables but add a Yes/No field called Verified to the main table.
    >
    > Use two data entry forms with the second one labeled Verification Entry. On
    > close of the form have a nacro run an update query that check the two tables
    > as exact matches and updates the Verified flag in main table. Next query
    > deletes records from the verify table that are in the main and flagged as
    > verified. Next query to find unmatched records for a report printed for
    > supervisor review.
    >
    > You might have a field in each table to record who did the data entry and
    > keep entry error stats.
    >
    > "Jose" wrote:
    >
    > > I am required by our Federal grant to design a data entry system whereby the
    > > second round of data entry checks against the first round of data entry to
    > > catch inconsistencies of data only entered once by hand. I have looked
    > > through manuals and online but haven't found much info regarding setting up
    > > Access for this. I tried to create two tables with a form for each. The
    > > second form had a validation rule for each control that checked the value
    > > entered in the second table against the value in the first table. This
    > > hasn't worked, I get an error 'the expression [variable1] you entered in the
    > > form's ValidationRule property contains the error The object doesn't contain
    > > the Automation object 'variable1'.
    > >
    > > Not only do I not have any idea what that means but I still don't know how
    > > to get this set up for this. I have done this in Epi-Info and it was very
    > > simple. Is Access not good for this?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Double Standards As Per Gubani | Bhai Sarbjit Singh Dhunda Gurmat Vichaar May 23, 2016
    India Corruption rate in India is double of global average Breaking News Jul 9, 2013
    Kirpan - Single edged or Double edged? Questions and Answers Jun 23, 2013
    India Double Standard? You decide! Breaking News Apr 22, 2013
    India Does Punjab have double standards on terrorism? Breaking News Apr 20, 2013

3. KARL DEWEY

KARL DEWEY
    Expand Collapse

You just do a join on each field so that it pull only records that totaly
    match. In design view of the query drag the Verified field to the grid and
    only update it.

Use another query to pull records that do not have the Verified field
    updated as these did not match.

"Jose" wrote:

> I have tried several ways to do the update query as you suggest but each time
    > I end up automatically overwriting the main table with the verification entry
    > table. What am I doing wrong? If I follow you, the query is intended to
    > report those variables where the two tables match.
    >
    > "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
    >
    > > Use two tables but add a Yes/No field called Verified to the main table.
    > >
    > > Use two data entry forms with the second one labeled Verification Entry. On
    > > close of the form have a nacro run an update query that check the two tables
    > > as exact matches and updates the Verified flag in main table. Next query
    > > deletes records from the verify table that are in the main and flagged as
    > > verified. Next query to find unmatched records for a report printed for
    > > supervisor review.
    > >
    > > You might have a field in each table to record who did the data entry and
    > > keep entry error stats.
    > >
    > > "Jose" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am required by our Federal grant to design a data entry system whereby the
    > > > second round of data entry checks against the first round of data entry to
    > > > catch inconsistencies of data only entered once by hand. I have looked
    > > > through manuals and online but haven't found much info regarding setting up
    > > > Access for this. I tried to create two tables with a form for each. The
    > > > second form had a validation rule for each control that checked the value
    > > > entered in the second table against the value in the first table. This
    > > > hasn't worked, I get an error 'the expression [variable1] you entered in the
    > > > form's ValidationRule property contains the error The object doesn't contain
    > > > the Automation object 'variable1'.
    > > >
    > > > Not only do I not have any idea what that means but I still don't know how
    > > > to get this set up for this. I have done this in Epi-Info and it was very
    > > > simple. Is Access not good for this?