Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1.   Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   
    Target (Recurring Monthly): $200 :: Achieved: $98

Re: Can't run reports in Access 2003

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Ed C, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Ed C

Ed C
    Expand Collapse

Jon,

I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?

Ed Cashman

"Jon Ley" wrote:

> Norman,
    >
    > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    >
    > Jon.
    >
    > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).

>

2. Loading...

3. Jon Ley

Jon Ley
    Expand Collapse

Seems that Access doesn't consistently recognise networked printers. If you
    set your default printer to a different (preferably local) printer you may
    have better luck. Other threads suggest updating your printer drivers, but I
    haven't tried this yet. One specific suggestion I have seen is to install the
    printer as a local printer first (you don't necessarily need to have it
    connected locally, just make sure it is installed as a local printer). Once
    you've done this, you can then edit the 'Ports' tab to add the printer's IP
    address.

Hope this helps,

Jon.

"Ed C" wrote:

> Jon,
    >
    > I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?
    >
    > Ed Cashman
    >
    > "Jon Ley" wrote:
    >
    > > Norman,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    > >
    > > Jon.
    > >
    > > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).

> >

4. Ed C

Ed C
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your help - as I was pressed for time yesterday, I hunted online a
    bit further and found the network printer to be the culprit - so I got my
    quick fix. But I will try your suggestions for a more permanent fix.

Thanks again.

Ed C.

"Jon Ley" wrote:

> Seems that Access doesn't consistently recognise networked printers. If you
    > set your default printer to a different (preferably local) printer you may
    > have better luck. Other threads suggest updating your printer drivers, but I
    > haven't tried this yet. One specific suggestion I have seen is to install the
    > printer as a local printer first (you don't necessarily need to have it
    > connected locally, just make sure it is installed as a local printer). Once
    > you've done this, you can then edit the 'Ports' tab to add the printer's IP
    > address.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Jon.
    >
    > "Ed C" wrote:
    >
    > > Jon,
    > >
    > > I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?
    > >
    > > Ed Cashman
    > >
    > > "Jon Ley" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Norman,
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > > > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > > > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > > > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > > > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > > > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    > > >
    > > > Jon.
    > > >
    > > > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).
    > > >

Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...

More people are visiting & reading SPN than ever but far fewer are paying to sustain it. Advertising revenues across the online media have fallen fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Donating to SPN's is vote for free speech, for diversity of opinions, for the right of the people to stand up to religious bigotry. Without any affiliation to any organization, this constant struggle takes a lot of hard work to sustain as we entirely depend on the contributions of our esteemed writers/readers. We do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too... Fund our efforts and together we can keep the world informed about the real Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. If everyone who writes or reads our content, who likes it, helps us to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. Every Contribution Matters, Contribute Generously!

Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution