Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Re: Can't run reports in Access 2003

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Ed C, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Ed C

Ed C
    Expand Collapse

Jon,

I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?

Ed Cashman

"Jon Ley" wrote:

> Norman,
    >
    > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    >
    > Jon.
    >
    > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).

>

2. Loading...

3. Jon Ley

Jon Ley
    Expand Collapse

Seems that Access doesn't consistently recognise networked printers. If you
    set your default printer to a different (preferably local) printer you may
    have better luck. Other threads suggest updating your printer drivers, but I
    haven't tried this yet. One specific suggestion I have seen is to install the
    printer as a local printer first (you don't necessarily need to have it
    connected locally, just make sure it is installed as a local printer). Once
    you've done this, you can then edit the 'Ports' tab to add the printer's IP
    address.

Hope this helps,

Jon.

"Ed C" wrote:

> Jon,
    >
    > I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?
    >
    > Ed Cashman
    >
    > "Jon Ley" wrote:
    >
    > > Norman,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    > >
    > > Jon.
    > >
    > > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).

> >

4. Ed C

Ed C
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your help - as I was pressed for time yesterday, I hunted online a
    bit further and found the network printer to be the culprit - so I got my
    quick fix. But I will try your suggestions for a more permanent fix.

Thanks again.

Ed C.

"Jon Ley" wrote:

> Seems that Access doesn't consistently recognise networked printers. If you
    > set your default printer to a different (preferably local) printer you may
    > have better luck. Other threads suggest updating your printer drivers, but I
    > haven't tried this yet. One specific suggestion I have seen is to install the
    > printer as a local printer first (you don't necessarily need to have it
    > connected locally, just make sure it is installed as a local printer). Once
    > you've done this, you can then edit the 'Ports' tab to add the printer's IP
    > address.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Jon.
    >
    > "Ed C" wrote:
    >
    > > Jon,
    > >
    > > I am experiencing the same problem - were you able to identify the cause?
    > >
    > > Ed Cashman
    > >
    > > "Jon Ley" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Norman,
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your input. I don't think it's a network problem. The users in
    > > > quesstion can get at the data fine (all the forms are working correctly) so
    > > > they're obviously connected OK, and other users are managing to open the
    > > > reports so it's not a problem with a particular printer. As I said, I can't
    > > > even open any reports in design mode. It's like the whole report subsystem
    > > > within Access has just shut down. Very strange.
    > > >
    > > > Jon.
    > > >
    > > > "Norman Yuan" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Sounds like a network conecction problem, especially the printer/back end
    > > > > *.mdb is on the network share. You can verify it by copy the back end to
    > > > > your developing machine and link to your FE (you may also want to have a
    > > > > local printer). Check for bad network hardware (NIC, hub, cable...).
    > > >