• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Literature Rare Collection Of Hand Written Manuscripts In Punjab Village Getting Ruined

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Manuscripts Need Urgent Attention
Rare collection of hand written manuscripts in Punjab village getting ruined
Tuesday, 01 June 2010

By Ravinder Singh Robin

AMRITSAR : A rare collection of hand-written manuscripts of Hindu, Sikh and Muslim religion along with outstanding relics of European Renaissance, collected by a Sikh scholar in Punjab village are in state of gross neglect.

A Sikh scholar Dalip Singh of remore village Mallu Nangal on Indo-Pak border in this district who owns the collection is a disappointed man. He has got a collection of various religious books hand written even from the times of 15th centuary.

Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee, the supreme Sikh body, managing the affairs of Siklh shrines is least interested to save the collection. The collection is surviving so far due to passion in Dalip Singh to preserve the history.

Rare manuscripts in the village gurdwara 9Sikh shrine) library include “ Dasam Granth”, Guru Partap-Suriya, Guru Bilas, Zafarnama Patshahi Daswin, Makkei Wali Sakhi, Bachittar Natak, Zindgi-Nama Bhai Nand Lal, an ultra small Guru Granth Sahib which has 1430 pages and can be read only with the help of a magnifying lens and many more.

A beautifully calligraphic example of “Kuran Shariff’ is another old scripture is in the collection of Dalip Singh.

Some of them were also written by Sikh Gurus themselves claimed Dalip Singh. Some of the manuscripts have beautiful ornamental calligraphy and extraordinary decorated in gold and blue.

Recalling his old days when he was vice president of SGPC, Dalip said that he was disappointed when he had brought few rare books to the SGPC for preservation but he have received a cold response from the authorities.

“That day I decided to keep the old books and rare manuscripts at the premises of my village Gurdwara at my own cost”, said Dalip Singh.

" I had to work hard to collect these manuscripts and books from various sources including deras of sants and Udasis but I am happy I have managed to save many of them, said he happily.

However, with the passage of time many ancient manuscripts and rare books have become discolored and blurred. They need to be preserved and timely treatment can restore them so that they can be preserved for future generations.

“It is my dream to preserve all this treasure with all modern techniques so that researchers and scholars could get benefits from my collection”, said he.

Attachments

• _SHS0124.JPG
    _SHS0124.JPG
    19.5 KB · Reads: 346
Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Hundreds of gunny-sacks full of manuscripts and books etc confisctaed from the Panch Khalsa Diwan Teja Singh Bhassaur were kept for decades in the vernadahs of Patial Govrt buildings...in time all disappeared....Karam Singh Historian writes in his book on sikh history that he went from village to village and literally bundles of historicla docs, diaries of Maharaj ranjot singhs time and earlier were sold to JUNK operators..although as cheap as afew rupees..he didnt have that amount and none of the welathy sikhs were remotley interested...thats how silhs treat our history..even the Indians didnt do any preserving..thats why Indian history is oral..while Chinese is written...and so when bluestar destroyed soem more valuable history..its no water off our duck backs...
WE MAKE HISTORY..not preserve it..he he he

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I got in touch with the Punjab Digital Library curator S. Davinder Pal Singh Ji and he informed us:

Punjab Digital Library is in touch with him since 2008 and have digitized about 60% of his collection, rest is scheduled to be digitized in the winter of 2010. Generally, we don't leave any project halfway but due to erratic power supply, we had to leave it midway and then there were other important projects, like manuscripts and newspapers with the S.G.P.C. We are very hopeful that we will finish this project by January 2011. S. Dalip Singh in touch with us and has even visited our office twice last year.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: