• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Ramadan

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: (Ramadan).....(Ramadan)

Perhaps we need some facts to understand the glory of fasting.

I wonder if they have done a survey and weighed people before and after Ramadan to see the weight difference. It should be pretty straightforward.

Logically if there was a measure of piousness and generosity one should do the weighing as to the total moral fabric change before and after Ramadan. It will be interesting study.

I suppose during this month God is free to work with rest of Humanity as Ramadan observers are all on good stuff. I wish this prevailed for all 12 months! The world would be quite a different place. Pretty simple to me.:whisling:

Regards.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

There should be an equivalent REDUCTION..in crime, snatch thefts, robberies, thefts, CORRUPTION BRIBERY, Rapes, molests etc etc..BUT no it doesnt happen...no weight decrease, no crime fall, no fall in expenses..NOTHING. Only God knows whats right..japposatnamwaheguru:

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012

Perhaps we need some facts to understand the glory of fasting.

I wonder if they have done a survey and weighed people before and after Ramadan to see the weight difference. It should be pretty straightforward.

Logically if there was a measure of piousness and generosity one should do the weighing as to the total moral fabric change before and after Ramadan. It will be interesting study.

I suppose during this month God is free to work with rest of Humanity as Ramadan observers are all on good stuff. I wish this prevailed for all 12 months! The world would be quite a different place. Pretty simple to me.:whisling:

Regards.
I suppose during this month God is free to work with rest of Humanity as Ramadan observers are all on good stuff. I wish this prevailed for all 12 months! The world would be quite a different place. Pretty simple to me.

Yes, my dear brother
This is Islam
Ramadan
Islam is the true face
Therefore has to be to work hard to achieve this throughout the year

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012

Special Merits for Fasting People
The Smell of their Breath: One of the wonders and virtues of fasting is that, contrary to people, Allah (T) loves the smell of the breath of fasting people:

By Him in whose Hand is my soul, the smell of the breath of a fasting person is better to Allah than the smell of musk. [Al-Bukhari

‫احمد ديدات / محاضرة الاسلام رساله الحق ( مترجمة )‬‎ - YouTube

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011

Dear naben ji
Bad breath is a common problem with people who fast. Protein breakdown occurs in the body once carbohydrate and fat is consumed. This releases ketone in the body as a byproduct of protein breakdown.
People who fast or who eat an imbalanced diet to lose wight and cut down on fat and carbs often have a typical bad breath called as ketone breath as the ketone gets converted to acetone in the body and is exhaled through breath.

Since Muslims do consume food during the fasts I am not sure if they do have ketone breath during fasting but since they do not have water for a long hours they may have bad breath due to dry mouth.
At least there is no scientific reason for "good breath"

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012

Yes, my dear brother
The smell of the mouth of the fasting is not good
But

The smell of the mouth of the fasting is not good
Better than the smell of musk

This is the result of high status and honor of God for the fasting person

Fasting, is for Me and I shall reward for it

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Allah said: ‘Every deed of the son of Adam is for him except fasting; it is for Me and I shall reward for it…’”

[Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
Ten days of Ramadan

Have the advantage of a private
the night of Al-Qadr
Or 23-25-27-29

1. Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'an) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)

2. And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

3. The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (ie worshipping Allah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, ie 83 years and 4 months).

4. Therein descend the angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allah's Permission with all Decrees,

5. Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn.

American Police Officer Converts to Islam - YouTube

‫احمد ديدات هل وعد الله اليهود Ùلسطين؟ Is Palestine Promised To Jews‬‎ - YouTube

162. Say (O Muhammad): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).___

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
It was the practice of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to strive during the last 10 days of Ramadaan like no other time, to spend the night in prayer, supplication and recitation of the Qur'an. He also used to wake his family up to do the same.
Abu Hurayrah said that the Prophet (PBUH) said: "Whoever stays up and prays on Laylat al-Qadr out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven."
(Hadith - Bukhari & Muslim)
Thus, the Muslim should make good use of the last 10 nights of Ramadaan and spend them in prayer and remembering Allah. We do not know for certain which night Laylat al-Qadr is, but the odd-numbered nights in the last 10 days are the most likely according to the hadith:

"Seek it in the odd nights of the last third of Ramadan."

(Hadith - Bukhari)

The night of the 27th of Ramadaan (ie the night before the fast of the day of the 27th of Ramadaan) has been narrated as being Laylat al-Qadr.

LAYLAT AL QADR THE NIGHT OF DECREE ! - YouTube
[/FONT]

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Does not praying in the hope of reward negate the praying?

The most famous female Sufi Muslim clearly thought so. This beautiful poem was attributed to her by later generations of Sufi Muslims (she left no writings by her own hand):

"...O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell, and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise. But if I worship You for Your Own sake, grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty..."

- Rābiʿah al-Baṣrī (717–801 C.E.), early Sufi

She was the first Muslim mystic, I believe, to emphasise the "Love of God" rather than the "Fear of God".

As that beautiful soul Rabi'ah tells us, to worship God for any other reason except Himself, is to miss the mark.

Or as Eckhart (a Catholic mystic) put it in my own religious tradition:

“...Some people want to see God with their eyes as they see a cow, and to love Him as they love their cow – for the milk and cheese and profit it brings them. This is how it is with people who love God for the sake of outward wealth or inward comfort. They do not rightly love God, when they love Him for their own advantage. Indeed, I tell you the truth, any object you have in your mind, however good, will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth...Know that when you seek anything of your own, you will never find God, because you do not seek God purely. You are seeking something along with God, and you are acting just as if you were to make a candle out of God in order to look for something with it. Once one finds the things one is looking for, one throws the candle away. This is what you are doing...The most powerful prayer, one wellnigh omnipotent, and the worthiest work of all is the outcome of a quiet mind. The quieter it is the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling and more perfect the prayer is. To the quiet mind all things are possible. What is a quiet mind? A quiet mind is one which nothing weighs on, nothing worries, which, free from ties and from all self-seeking, is wholly merged into the will of God and dead to its own...If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "Thank You," that would suffice..."

- Meister Eckhart (1260-1327), Catholic mystic & Domincan priest

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I think he is against anything that shows Islam in a positive light.....

I want to see his face when he gets to heaven and realises that all the food, drink, virgins, big eyed maidens, high breasted servants and handsome youths were all just metaphors.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I know of other poems by Rabi'ah. I have a good academic book on Sufism and one on Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill (a Catholic mystic of the early 20th century) which both give portions of her attributed words.

A lot of the early Sufi teachings were orally passed down, in a similar way to how the words of Jesus were not written directly by him but handed down by his followers.

Sufism entered its classical phase of literature - "literary Sufism" - during the medeival era (roughly from the time of Ibn Arabi and Al-Ghazzali till the 1500s).

As the scholar of Islamic mysticism, Mahmood Jamal says of her:

"...Rabiya [...] is highly regarded as a foremost mystic...She was noted for her ascetism...More interesting than her ascetism, however, is Rabia's concept of divine love. She was the first [of the Sufis] to introduce the idea that God should be loved for His own sake and not out of fear, as the earlier Sufis had taught..."

- Mahmood Jamal

Her importance for and influence on later Sufism as typified by the likes of Attar and Rumi, cannot be overemphasised.

From the book on Sufism, here is other poems by her:

"...I carry a torch in one hand
And a bucket of water in the other:
With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
And put out the flames of Hell
So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
And see the real goal..."

"...I have two ways of loving You:
A selfish one
And another way that is worthy of You.
In my selfish love, I remember You and You alone.
In that other love, You lift the veil
And let me feast my eyes on Your Living Face..."

"...O my Lord,
the stars glitter
and the eyes of men are closed.
Kings have locked their doors
and each lover is alone with his love.

Here, I am alone with you..."

naben

SPNer
Feb 18, 2012
All
For the satisfaction of God
And get a reward in this world and the Hereafter

In the Holy Qur'an
97. Whoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islamic Monotheism) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (ie Paradise in the Hereafter).

"إن الصوفية لم يكتفوا بالخروج على سنة رسول الله صلوات الله وسلامه عليه،--

بل إن عقائدهم تتصادم أساساً مع جوهر الإسلام..

فالصوفية يقولون بوحدة الوجود،

ويرون أن الوجود حقيقة واحدة لا فرق في نظرهم بين الحق والخلق،

وهو قول مضاد للإسلام وعقائده".

(لماذا تدعون غير الله وتنزلون حاجاتكم لأناس أمثالكم موتى لايسمعون، بل هم في أشد حاجة منكم في قبورهم إلى رحمة الله؟؟

والله عزوجل في كتابه الكريم يقول::

( وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَسْتَكْبِرُونَ عَنْ عِبَادَتِي سَيَدْخُلُونَ جَهَنَّمَ دَاخِرِينَ ) غافر / 60

فلماذا تصرفون العبادة لغير الله بدعاء الأولياء وطلب الغوث منهم..

-- Zurr ibn Hubaysh said: "I heard Ubayy ibn Ka'b saying - and it was said to him that 'Abd-Allaah ibn Mas'ood said:' Whoever follows the Sunnah will 'catch' Laylat al-Qadr! '- Ubayy said: 'May Allah have mercy on him, he did not want people to take it for granted and only stay up to pray on one night. By the One besides Whom there is no other god, it is in Ramadaan - he was swearing without a doubt - and by Allah, I do know which night it is. It is the night in which the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) commanded us to pray (qiyaam). It is the night the morning of which is the twenty seventh , and the sign of it is that the sun rises on that morning white and without rays. '"

(Hadith - Muslim and others)​
However, the timing of the night Laylat al-Qadr has not been narrated with certainty, and its timing may not be the same every year.[/FONT] The wisdom in this is that the Muslims will be more inclined to devote themselves in worship during the whole last 10 days, rather just on one night, as would be the case if its timing were known for certain.

[/FONT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: