• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Racist Anti-immigration Flyers Single Out Sikh Community In Brampton

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
In Brampton, set to launch Sikh Heritage Month on Friday, residents a stone’s throw from city hall were shocked this week to find on their doorsteps anti-immigration flyers highlighting the Sikh community.

“Racism is real; it’s still here. People have the fallacy that it’s ended and stopped. It’s very much not that,” said Wellington St. resident Jamal Jones, who discovered the flyer on his door earlier this week.

Jones, 23, a second-generation Jamaican Canadian, found it offensive and racist. He decided to draw attention to this unacceptable act by posting a photo on Facebook, which later got picked up on Twitter and went viral.
“We should not judge people based on religion, race or skin colour,” said the actor and retail clerk. “We should judge by character and should not paint anyone with a broad brush.”

The flyer depicts a black-and-white photo of an all-white group with the caption “From this,” above a colour photo of a group of angry Sikh protesters, with the caption “To this.” It cites Census data suggesting Brampton’s “mainstream Canadian” population dropped from 59.6 per cent in 2001 to 32.9 per cent in 2011.

At the bottom, it says: “Is This Really What You Want? Let’s Make Immigration Work For The Interests Of Canadians Again!” It then invites people to visit the website of Immigration Watch Canada.

Dan Murray, a spokesperson and co-founder of Immigration Watch, confirmed to the Star that the group produced the flyers but insisted that its message is reasonable and not racist.

“The purpose of the flyer is to say there is a cultural limit to the number of people any part of Canada could accept,” he said from British Columbia, where the group was founded in the late 1990s. He said the group has “tens of thousands” of followers who subscribe to its online newsletters.

Canada has been taking in 250,000 immigrants a year for two decades, but Ottawa has never provided justification for that policy, he said.

Murray said the group’s Brampton members had distributed the same flyers several months ago and placed hundreds this week. The photo showing Sikhs was used because they make up “the majority of the population in Brampton,” he noted.

The group did not say where it distributed the flyers, but it seems to focus on older areas of the city where longtime residents of European descent are concentrated.

Gurmeet Singh, an activist in Brampton’s Sikh community, said people were upset by the flyer and pointed out that the photo of Sikh men was actually taken at a protest in India.

“This is just not acceptable in the city of Brampton, in Canada,” he said.
Councillor Vicky Dhillon, who is also of Sikh heritage, said he was shocked Canadians would spread this kind of message.

“Sikhs have lived in Canada for more than 100 years. We are in every professional sector in the society. We are in 2014, and people are still talking about these things,” said Dhillon, adding that residents should come out to the Sikh Heritage Month celebration Friday evening in a show of solidarity against bigotry.

“We accept everyone in Brampton, and we don’t have any problem in our neighbourhoods. And these are the people who create problems for the community,” he said, referring to those who distribute such material.
Peel Region police spokesperson Const. Thomas Ruttan said the force only learned of the flyers Thursday morning and are investigating whether the publication breaks the law.

Murray characterized people who criticize the flyer’s message as offensive and racist as “cowards.”

“For long-term Canadians to say that, they are cowards. They are trying to be politically correct,” Murray said. “They are afraid to express criticisms over our immigration because they are conditioned to respond to immigration only in a positive way.”

(Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/immigra...rs_single_out_sikh_community_in_brampton.html)

Attachments

• 1398390357374 - Copy.jpg
    1398390357374 - Copy.jpg
    85.6 KB · Reads: 260

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Such a Poster flyer has NEVER been seen ever in Malaysia/Singapore/Hongkong/China/philippines/Thailand/Indinesia..............etc etc....and never will !! WHY such things happen ONLY in the WEST ??
A serious question to people in the WEST.:kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred:

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Such a Poster flyer has NEVER been seen ever in Malaysia/Singapore/Hongkong/China/philippines/Thailand/Indinesia..............etc etc....and never will !! WHY such things happen ONLY in the WEST ??
A serious question to people in the WEST.:kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred::kaurkhalsaflagred:

The West is still trying to accept other faiths. Everywhere there are people spreading hate against other people due to their race or religion. Diversity is good but not everyone agrees with it. I am surprised that a group would put flyers out in Brampton especially Brampton. This group is worried about immigration of other faiths and clearly don't appreciate other faiths from looking at their ridiculous website containing crap info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

In the same way immigrant groups tend to keep to themselves to preserve their cultures and traditions, and in some cases even go so far as to implement their own legal systems under the radar of the law of the land, perhaps some westerners get spooked that they will loose their culture, language and way of life due to immigration outweighing the 'native' population. I'm not defending what they've done but just speculating as what might potentially be contributing to their motivation.

You talk about 'the West' with such loathing, perhaps you should start a campaign to keep all the 'other people' out of 'the hideous West'.

btw, where should I have gone during my high schooling, in a Western country, while being teased and harrased by a self-proclaimed Persian gang of boys? I was verbally and physically assaulted and harrassed, called a '{censored}' and my family was harrassed and threatened and one of them even bought a knife to school with the intent of stabbing one of my relatives. The school administration was virtually powerless to protect me due to concerns of 'racism'.

Perhaps the world isn't as black and white as you seem to think it is.

btw, on behalf of all 'white' and 'western' people, I'm sorry the pamphlet in the OP was distributed. In the same way your 'non-Western' cultures are not perfect neither are western ones. And measure ARE being taken to reduce racism amongst westerners, and the culture HAS changed so quickly within one or two generations. Just think what it will be like in a few more generations.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Ishna ji..I am on FOOT..and i see what i see..and i haven't got the answer as to WHY such flyers, shootings, hate crimes etc happen...and why are the westerners so touchy ?? oversensitive...i know and realsie there are racist Persians..Indians, Chinese..heck even some Punjabis..but we seldom hear that a Punjabi sikh man shot dead a Gora..or a gang of sikhs beat up an old white woman..maybe me being on "foot' am reading the wrong newspapers or watching the wrong You tube videos ?? Please do send me some links/newspapers/you tube video links so i can balance my view..

I was just reading this post on my facebook Page..its from BRITAIN FIRST and I am subscribed to it...and it does have a lot of truth...( I am now actively looking for a China First..India First..Singapore First page..but havent found any yet..but i will keep looking )
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...546.1073741826.300455573433044&type=1&theater

The WEST has had KKK types since centuries ago..and these still exist..why ?? did the KKK come into being due to the reasons given ( such a slosing their culture..language..back then it was the Whites who forcibly brought in the BLACKS as free labour...and the poor Blacks werent going to drown the whites in any culture or language tsunami...
There must and have to be OTHER reasons...lets look together...:singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Ishna Ji...the "loathing of the West" is imaginary...i dont loath anyone....least of all the WEST ....please get that out of your system Jios. I am NOT Unhappy with the west..or overly happy with the east..i ma just writing what i see..apologies if seem that way.:winkingsingh:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-20445350 "Two Sikh priests jailed for rape of Glasgow prostitute"

This is the only story that immediately comes to mind.

From my perspective, 'the west' and 'white people' are by-and-large multicultural and tolerant, and often paranoid of pointing out any misstep by anyone who isn't 'white' because of the cry "racism! you're picking on me because you're racist white people!". That's why the administration at my school stood aside and allowed what was happening, to happen. Because to do anything would be seen as "being racist towards Persians".

It is the minority who cause problems in any culture and your over generalisations:

[SIZE=+0]
gyani said:
WHY such things happen ONLY in the WEST ??
[/SIZE]

are not constructive to mutual respect or integration.

gyani said:
and why are the westerners so touchy ?? oversensitive...

^ another example of over generalisation.

From this side of the fence I see my government and my culture doing many things to accomodate, integrate, educate, multiculturalise, interfaith, adapt etc. etc. for other cultures. We've come a long way, and we still have an aweful long way to go, but it is changing. It seems you overlook all that at times.

Here's a couple more negative stories, as requested:

At least 10 Australians have been murdered or feared murdered in violent attacks in India since 1999, with claims that up to 200 westerners have been killed. In what is expected to further heighten tension between India and Australia, the families of dead Australians say the subcontinent nation is hypocritical in attacking Victorian authorities and are calling for an investigation by the Rudd Government.
http://www.news.com.au/national/ten...a-families-claim/story-e6frfkvr-1225820446163

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ajit...s-cry-foul-malaysia-kini-news/171959369513355 Sikh boy's hair cut at NS camp, parents cry foul [Malaysia Kini News]

It's OK for you to have your opinion about the West. I just worry that when other, possibly younger, Sikhs read such comments about the west, westerners and 'white people' it might galvanise them against cooperation with westerners and reinforce an us-vs-them mentality. You may not see it that way, but I do.

Please realise that western Sikhs that are here on this forum, who love Sikhi and Sikhs of all colours, shapes, genders and nationalities, are in fact WESTERN and seeing these kinds of anti-western overgeneralised comments followed by a ton of nishan-sahib waving smilies is actually quite disheartening.

We're just as disappointed with the bad areas in our own societies as you are, and ashamed of it to boot.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
I was just reading this post on my facebook Page..its from BRITAIN FIRST and I am subscribed to it...and it does have a lot of truth...( I am now actively looking for a China First..India First..Singapore First page..but havent found any yet..but i will keep looking )
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...546.1073741826.300455573433044&type=1&theater

'Britain First' is an extremist party/organisation with near-zero support or publicity. Recently it's been in the news after it was banned from using 'Remember Lee Rigby' (murdered British soldier) as an election slogan, but that's about it.

These types of party are firmly racist and against non-white people. However, actual racism is extremely unpopular these days, so they trick people with the 'oh, we are only against Islamic extremism' line. And some foolish Sikhs and Hindus go and vote for them because they don't like Muslims. In reality, BNP, BFP, NF, BF etc hate all non-white people and their main support base is definitely in favour of banning turbans, kirpans etc, stopping non-white immigration, 'repatriating' those who are not 'indigenous' and ending what they see as 'political correctness' by getting rid of hate-crime penalties.

Of course, their real target that they want to get is the Jews, who these fanatics secretly hate and blame for everything that's wrong with the country. They can't voice such views publicly however. Anti-Semitism is popular amongst a certain part of the UK population, I can tell you from experience. There are many people who seem friendly and normal on the outside, but who will eventually tell you insane, horrible things once they think they can trust you.

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Ishna ji..I am on FOOT..and i see what i see..and i haven't got the answer as to WHY such flyers, shootings, hate crimes etc happen...and why are the westerners so touchy ?? oversensitive...i know and realsie there are racist Persians..Indians, Chinese..heck even some Punjabis..but we seldom hear that a Punjabi sikh man shot dead a Gora..or a gang of sikhs beat up an old white woman..maybe me being on "foot' am reading the wrong newspapers or watching the wrong You tube videos ?? Please do send me some links/newspapers/you tube video links so i can balance my view..

The WEST has had KKK types since centuries ago..and these still exist..why ?? did the KKK come into being due to the reasons given ( such a slosing their culture..language..back then it was the Whites who forcibly brought in the BLACKS as free labour...and the poor Blacks werent going to drown the whites in any culture or language tsunami...
There must and have to be OTHER reasons...lets look together...:singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm:

In America you will find racists who are in high and low social ranks. America has a violent history no doubt. Today so many shootings are happening I wouldn't be surprised if American citizens just went on a massacre against other American citizens. Guns and mentally ill people don't ever work out well. Back on topic though.

I really believe the West is becoming more accepting to different cultures and religions. Sikh communities gotta be more open to others and spread Sikhi awareness at least so citizens don't have misconceptions. Even in Cali, a 82 yr old Sikh man was beaten up by a guy in a very populated Sikh community area. I would give it some more time as there are a lot of old racists left from the 70's and 80's that will eventually vanish so I'd so the future might be looking bright as in acceptance of different faiths.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Racism exists everywhere. Look at the African students in punjab and see how badly they are treated by fellow students. But the facts are certainty stacked against "west" for being the most racist and i think of even developing racism. Sometimes i wonder what it would have been like if the sikh raj matured a little while longer, than say 40-50 years. Imagine the diversity. It could be a witch's brew or the most peaceful place but either way one thing is for sure violent racism based on color would be non existent if Gurmat was taken into account before passing laws.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Chinese have always called the Whites, Bearded monkeys..and regarded all Non-Chinese as below them...and of course Indians have Castes and Punjabis have their divisions, Nazis hated Jews and all non-Aryans, and the French dont like non-frenchies etc etc...But its all SUBTLE and under the skin sort of "racism or I ma better than you"...what i see is the blatant PUBLIC Racism..agianst Blacks public calling niggers, Boy come here..KKK burning churches, and after 911 the shootings , public name calling hatred shootings etc.
The Gujrat genocide, the 1984 Anti-sikh Genocide are also "racist/religion? based but these were all GOVT SPONSORED..or group designed to retain POLITICAL POWER..not racism per se of the post 9-11 we see in the West. Some religions also perpetutae group divisions based on infidels gentiles, and kafirs, beleivers etc...and 100% of the Sikh martyrs beginning with Guru Arjun Ji was due to RELIGIOUS Fanatics against non-beleivers just like the Spanish inquisition etc and the crusades as well..

Its for the "credit" of the West that their GOVTs are NOT racist or discriminatory...only some people..and on the contrary in the EAST its the GOVTS that are perpetuating such hatred on large scale to stay in POWER.

When the Sikhs were forced to leave China in 1949 after Mao took over, the Sikhs were given a choice to take one bag each..and the Sikhs chose to leave all their belongings but take back the Huge SGGS birs in the Gurdwaras..which were brought to Singapore by ship. The Gurdwaras were not attacked in Shanghai as they were in Delhi in 1984 !!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: