• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Raag Vs. No Raag

gsingh2011

SPNer
Feb 21, 2010
Some people tell me that all kirtan should be done in raag and some say that it doesn't matter. Personally I don't think it matters as long as the kirtan is done from the heart and one knows the meaning. What do you think?

EDIT: Is this the right place for this topic? I'm new here so I'm not sure... If it's not please move it. Thank you :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Some people tell me that all kirtan should be done in raag and some say that it doesn't matter. Personally I don't think it matters as long as the kirtan is done from the heart and one knows the meaning. What do you think?

EDIT: Is this the right place for this topic? I'm new here so I'm not sure... If it's not please move it. Thank you :)

This is the correct location. A very interesting question and I am sure that opinions will be expressed in a lively way.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Raag is the "Vehicle"....and just like we can quite possibly reach a given destination..by crawling..or rolling along...if we use the right vehilce...feet, cycle, motobike,car, rail, plane, rocket..we will reach faster and in better style. end of analogy.

SGGS out of almost all religious texts..is in POETRY....and poetry is sung/read in a different style and format...and Guru Ji gave us the Raags to facilitate our enjoyment of theis heavenly poetry....so that both performer and listener enjoy the experience of Gurbani.

The SGGS Begins with a DESCRIPTION of the Shabad..the Creator that was, Is and will always BE....and then Guru Nanak ji wrote the..Injunction.."Jap" which is usually treated as the Title of the 38 Paurree Bani that follows BUT is also the instruction for the entire 1429 pages that follow...to be Japped..followed...ACTED UPON ones entire LIFE until the WALL of Haumaii that keeps us separated form the CREATOR described in the opening verses of SGGS is broken down and we achieve MERGER back into the CREATOR.
This ENTIRE "JOURNEY"...from EK Oangkar...to EK OANGKAR..is to be performed in SONG...gaveah sunneah mann rakehayeh BHAO...hence the RAAGS..not just one, or two..or five..BUT 31 !!! More than ever found in any one religious text ever...

2. The BEST way of doing Kirtan is first to put the shabahd to MEMORY..so all the concentration is on it and its Raag..not afraid the wind my flip the page over..one may forget a line etc...imho....

gsingh2011

SPNer
Feb 21, 2010
I think that meaning has more importance than the way it is sung. You can do it in Raag, you can say it, you can even do it in AKJ style, but when I hear the baani, it doesn't matter how it is sung. That is just my personal opinion. Any others?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
If we open any panna/page of SGGS ji, we will realise that each bani by Guru Sahib is preluded at the top with the Raag, It is supposed to be sung... So, when Guru Sahibans gave so much importance to listening to Gurbani in Raags then who are we to fed words in the mouth of the Guru?

If you really want to feel the Amrit of Gurbani inside you, consider listening to classical Ragis like Hazoori Ragi Bhai Nirmal Singh ji Khalsa : Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

It is a pure myth created by media for monetary gains but trust our Gurus, it not at all difficult to understand Gurbani sung in Raags...

Gurfateh!

:happysingh:

Mar 16, 2010
It is very obvious that we should sing Gurbani in its composed raags. why? this is because the raags are stressed again and again. Before each shabad, a title raag is given. and just count the number of times that the raag's name appeared in the Guru Granth Sahib? Doesn't that sounds more like a command given to us by our Guru? Why would Guruji repeat the raag's name again and again if it isn't important? Guruji could have easily just write the raag's name once and proceed with only mehla 1, 2 and so on. there are also the ghar taal theory as well as a few more theories in certain raag titles.

However, I find it very interesting to learn and understand the raag's title and also the shabad. and also sing the shabads according to the order that is given by Guruji.(at least for me I see it more of an order)

bhul chuk maaf
Satsimran Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
It is very obvious that we should sing Gurbani in its composed raags. why? this is because the raags are stressed again and again. Before each shabad, a title raag is given. and just count the number of times that the raag's name appeared in the Guru Granth Sahib? Doesn't that sounds more like a command given to us by our Guru? Why would Guruji repeat the raag's name again and again if it isn't important? Guruji could have easily just write the raag's name once and proceed with only mehla 1, 2 and so on. there are also the ghar taal theory as well as a few more theories in certain raag titles.

However, I find it very interesting to learn and understand the raag's title and also the shabad. and also sing the shabads according to the order that is given by Guruji.(at least for me I see it more of an order)

bhul chuk maaf
Satsimran Singh

Gurfateh Ji.

You have hit upon a very important point. WHAT GURU JI STRESSED..must be VITAL.

1. Guru Ji REPEATED the Manglacharan....From EK Oangkar to Satgur Parsaad at Each and Every Raag. Its shorter versions - EK Oangkar satgur Parsaad..also REPEATED Multiple times....BUT many "Sikhs" in their Own MANMATT keep insisting that the Manglacharan is up to Nanak Hosee Bhee Sach (which appears only ONCE and is separated by QUADRUPLE DANDEES and Title of JAP....but we still maintain our manmatt.)

2. Guru Ji gave clear written INSTRUCTIONS...EH SLOK AAD AANT PAHHRRNNA....meaning..This SLOK MUST be READ...in the beginning and in the END....(Sukhmani Sahib)...just in case smart aleck "Sikhs" also decide the Guur made a "mistake" and wrote the same slok TWICE ??..and so begin SKIPPING it.

3. A particular Vaar has a so called "missing line" in subsequent paurees except the First one...and so smart alec "Sikhs" read that "invisible line"...when its NOT even there..

4. The Guru Ji accorded the Manglacharans PRIME POSITION...TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER of the PAGE....as it deserves seeing that Guru Ji saw fit to REPEAT it so many times in each Raag...and at beginning of each shabad..BUT then again smart aleck "Sikhs" decided to SHIFT it as and where pleases..simply to accomodate PRINTING/Paper Saving..whatever. An attempt to CORRECT this anamoly was shot down by the "SANTS" as interefernce in Gurbani (thereby completley ignoring the stark fact that its the Commercial Printers who interefered in Gurbani all this while )

5. Recently a few smart aleck sikhs also authorised a fellow smart aleck "Academician"...from South India at a cost of a few MILLION Rupee Grant...and he REWROTE the SGGS by "CUTTING AWAY" and REMOVING the "superflous aunkarrs and siharees etc"...since he didnt know anything about Gurbani Grammar he thought the aunkarrs and siharees etc in Gurbani were SUPERFLOUS and of no use whatsoever...and so were his backers....

GURBANI is agaadh Bodh..as deep as the deepst oceans..it takes many lifetimes..to just skim its surface...so its wise to beg Guru Jsi GRACE..and study its intricasies while applying GURMATT and discarding Manmatt. RAAGS...Guru Ji used 31 Raags...the MOST in one Granth ever composed at any time...and REPEATED the Raag Title...again and again..for a REASON.:happysingh:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: