• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Questions About Sikhism? Newby

sbm401

SPNer
Aug 7, 2006
Hi all

Just a quick intro......I'm a PGCE student (London) and need to do an assignment on a religion I know least about. Have been thinking long and hard, and unfortunately it's Sikhism (you all may gathered by now.....I'm not Sikh).

I've been googling answers and things, and well I'm worried I'll get things wrong and just do an injustice to your religion.

The best people to get help from would be sikhs themselves-----hence why I'm here. So below I have listed some questions/points I need to gather. Your help would be INVALUABLE! Am sorry for being SO ignorant. ::cool:: ::cool:: ::cool:: But here goes.

4 Historical Events within it's Context

Stories: Highlighting characteristics of Sikhism

2 Religious items in the place of worship and its meaning

A religious festival and the concepts behind it

A ritual and its significance

An artefact and its significance

A scriptural text with important
concepts

A prayer which expresses the devotion

Thankx again

SBM :wink:

Dec 8, 2005
Dear SBM

Sar Sri Akal and a nice good evening

I guess if you ask a sikh to give his impression about his own religion the objectivity of study would go away.

I would suggest read about the 10 Sikh Guru who guided the Punjabi community from the jaws of death in Mughal reign. The Sikh you today see is in his comfort time enjoying the fruit of his fore father in British civilization. You will find a lot of deviation in him from his charecterstic self. He is best in crisis situation like in the past fighting Mughals , world wars etc.

It would be better if you collected facts from diffferent perspectives say from the eye of

a) Nations : India , Pakistan , UK , Canada , America , Afghanistan.

b ) Indian states :-- Punjab since Alexander the great invaded India ,Kashmir , Haryana , Himachal pardesh , Maharashtra.

C ) Kings :- Mughals , British throne , Maharaja Ranjit singh and the maharajas of indian Punjab

d ) Politician : Nehru , Gandhi , Indira gandhi .

e ) Warriors :- Jassa singh Ahluwalia , Jassa Singh Ramgarhia ,Hari Singh Nalwa , Bandha bahdur , Bhinderwala etc

f ) Past Enemy warrior :- Mughal generals , Anglo - Sikh war generals.

g ) Diaspora Sikhs:- UK , USA , Canada.

h ) Religions : -- Punjabi Muslim , Punjabi Hindu. A christian perspective is by Macleods.

i ) Music industry :- Fusion Bhangra.

j ) Great Betrayls :- By all the civilization Islamic , British and now India for there land , water ,wealth and woman.

You will find a saga which will show a struggle of the youngest religion of world its struggle under the reigns of different civilization like Muighals , Western and now India.

If you ask my impression of Sikhism as a Sikh in two words then it would be " BORN FREE ".

I can only say that the world has not given Sikh a chance to shine and express himself we would out smart Japan , German or even Roman civilization under the banner of a singular unique philosphy of :-

" Nanak nam chadi Kala tere bana sarvat tha bhalla "

happy researching in a very proud community called the Sikhs.

Dont worry about injustice if your study brings out we are pretty used to it.
It will be more fun reading an objective accounts.

love

hps62
http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/martyrs/sarabha.htm http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/martyrs/sardarjsahluwalia.htmhttp://www.allaboutsikhs.com/martyrs/bhaidayala.htm

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I hope your project goes well, here are some pointers that may be helpful. Hope you enjoy the experience although this is hard to do with academic tasks sometimes! lol

4 Historical Events within it's Context

1. Founding of religion by Guru Nanak - Look at relationship between Islam and Hinduism at time (ruler subjects). The caste system (very important aspect!). Previous history of Panjab as route taken by invaders for centuries, perhaps being an agricultural area made this important to feed armies i.e. logistics?

2. Martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji (5th Guru) - We have the emperor Jahangir's own words on this (he ordered execution), plus Sikh tradition (the two diverge at places). This is the turning point in Sikh history from pacifists to a move towards militarisation. Relationship between moghul leaders and Sikhs turn sour.

3. Guru Hargobind's (Guru Arjan's son and the next Guru) skirmishes with imperial troops. Highlighting growing confidence of the community and bitterness towards the murder of the peaceful Guru Arjan. Shakey relationship between Sikhs and Moguls.

4. Birth of Khalsa (1699 AD). Seen by Sikhs as finalisation of the revelation. New baptism ceremony that strikes at caste system and inspires bravery in followers. History changing event (no exaggeration, you'll see).

Stories: Highlighting characteristics of Sikhism

Guru Nanak and Bhai Lalo the carpenter - Point regarding ostentatious living, honesty and simplicity.

Guru Nanak refuses to throw water towards the sun (at Hardwar i think?) - The futility of rituals without logic

Bidhi Chand and the stolen horses - pointing at bravery, justice and defiance of tyrannical rulers if needed.

Guru Gobind and the gold bangle thrown in the river - The futility of being excessively attached to wealth. Also the early wisdom of Guru Gobind.

2 Religious items in the place of worship and its meaning

Guru Granth Sahib - More than holy book but eleventh Guru, focal point of Sikh worship and repository of Sikh wisdom as well as other non-Sikh thought. Could perhaps make point that some SIkhs feel that the order to treat it like the next Guru, taken too literally by some.

Langar - Communal kitchen - Representing equality and charity.

A religious festival and the concepts behind it

Vasaikhi - Birth of Khalsa and also pre-Sikh celebration by peasants.

A ritual and its significance

Amrit ceremony - baptism - Saint soldier concept. breaking of caste and prior beliefs. Belonging to new family, change of surname to Singh, meaning lion. Stirring water with khanda = strength, sugar in water = kindness. All drinking from same bowl = equality, breaking of caste barriers.

An artefact and its significance

The double edged sword used in amrit ceremony (called a Khanda). Use as a metaphor in Sikhism had long prior history.

A scriptural text with important
concepts

The Mool Mantar - Guru Nanaks conceptualisation of God. (very short piece)

A prayer which expresses the devotion

I'll let you choose! lol

sbm401

SPNer
Aug 7, 2006
Thankyou so much! :D :D :D That really was very useful.....will need to google search it all, but at least I have a basis.

Basically I'm training to become a religious studies teacher and we need to make a WORLD FAITHS FILE, answering all the questions on EVERY religion. It's meant to be a basic folder on introducing a religion to a class.

So all I need really is a really good introduction to the religion of Sikhism.

Thankx again for the help. :wink: :wink: :wink:

SBM

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
sbm401 said:
Thankyou so much! :D :D :D That really was very useful.....will need to google search it all, but at least I have a basis.

Basically I'm training to become a religious studies teacher and we need to make a WORLD FAITHS FILE, answering all the questions on EVERY religion. It's meant to be a basic folder on introducing a religion to a class.

So all I need really is a really good introduction to the religion of Sikhism.

Thankx again for the help. :wink: :wink: :wink:

SBM

It was a pleasure. Hope you do well. You may finds www.sikhs.org handy for some of your questions. It is organised very well and quite comprehensive.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM