Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Question regarding saint ram das

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by The lion king, Jul 3, 2004.

1. The lion king

The lion king
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Question regarding saint Samarth Ramdas

Dear Cyber sangat,
    I am new to this site, so plz accept my apolygise if i say/do some thing wrong:).
    I was reading about the 6th guru, guru har gobind ji when I suddenly stopped at this paragraph:

Saint Ram Das's meeting with the Guru had a great historical consequence, for he was so impressed by the Guru's thesis that he later trained Shivaji, the great Maratha leader, in the same manner.

Want I would like to know is how true or authentic is this claim? are there any other source which verify this apart from sikh scholars and historians? I am not being in doubt but it seems impossible for an outsider (hindu, muslim) to beleive just that paragraph. Also i would really appriaciate it if some one could provide more information about saint ram das.

if it is true, then, hey hey, we DID save the whole of india! ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Interesting Questions Regarding Sikh Conversion Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jun 9, 2013
    FAQs for Students Question regarding other religions as friends. Questions and Answers Nov 27, 2011
    Question Regarding Regret & Sikh Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Mar 2, 2011
    Gurmukhi Script - Question Regarding Origin and Gurbani Writings Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jan 15, 2011
    Question Regarding Something in Dasam Granth? Dasam Granth Sep 15, 2006

3. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

This is what I would gather from the resources...

Samarth Ramdas Swami

Founded the Samarth sect in the sixteenth century stating that spiritual practice is more important than politics. He guided Shivaji Maharaj in the latter’s mission of reinstatment of Righteousness both through spiritual and worldly guidance. He was a devotee of Lord Rama and Maruti.

http://www.sanatan.org/en/glossary/s.htm

4. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

There is not much information about his visit and meeting with Guru Hargobind Ji... there is website about the teachings by Smarth Ramdas... at http://www.ramdas.org/
    maybe it holds some clue...

5. The lion king

The lion king
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hey,
    Thanks a lot. I also searched on www.allaboutsikhs.com I could not copy or paste the link or the article. its under sikhism review, encyclopedia of sikhism, click on S and search for SAMARTH RAMDAS.
    I did try to compare this article to the site you gave me www.ramdas.org. Both seem authentic and personally it seems Samarth ramdas did meet Guru Har Gobind ji and was influenced by his ideology. I will try to post more on this from a book soon.