• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Question About Sikh Wedding And Parents

missnice91

SPNer
Jan 26, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was a bit unsure about something during the Sikh Wedding. Do the parents stand up with the couple near the start to just signify that they have given their consent for the wedding to take place??
If one parents has passed away, will there name still be read out?
My mother passed away so I wanted to find out about this. My dad got re-married but I don't look at her as a mother but a friend. I would only need my fathers and grandparents permission so would it be ok forjust my dad to stand up? Would the step parent have to stand up too or is it personal choice?? Would I have t go through this with the priest?
I personally would only want my dad to stand up. Anyone let me know please!

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Hi,

I was a bit unsure about something during the Sikh Wedding. Do the parents stand up with the couple near the start to just signify that they have given their consent for the wedding to take place??

They may or not stand near the couple, doesn't matter, it is just a choice not an obligation. Even if the parents are not present, the marriage ceremony can be undertaken.

If one parents has passed away, will there name still be read out?

If you want their name to be read out, why not? There is nothing barring this in the Sikh Rehat Maryada.

I would only need my fathers and grandparents permission so would it be ok forjust my dad to stand up? Would the step parent have to stand up too or is it personal choice?? Would I have t go through this with the priest?
I personally would only want my dad to stand up. Anyone let me know please!

Whether or not anyone stand near you is no issue or compulsion. A Sikh wedding just needs both consenting partners and the presence of Guru Granth Sahib. No fuss! Everything else is just what we wish to add in the ceremony of our own accord.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Normally only the Fathers are asked to stand up for the "private" ardass in Sangat with the Granthi participating and everyone else remains seated. One can request the Granthi to include ones mother as well. As Aristotle ji has mentioned the MAIN concern is the COUPLE and SGGS. No one else matters more or less. The VOWS (lavan) are between the Couple and Guru Ji only with the SANGAT as witness.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: