• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Quest Students, Sikh Society Come To Japan's Aid

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
March 29, 2011

Quest students, Sikh Society come to Japan's aid
Two Squamish groups raise more money for disaster-ravaged country

Ben Lypka
blypka@squamishchief.com

The support for Japan just keeps coming from Squamish as two more groups stepped up recently to help the country rebuild after the devastating March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Quest University student Kevin Souza helped lead one of the groups as a number of Quest students organized a movie fundraiser at the school on Monday (March 28).

Souza was directly impacted by the disasters in Japan and decided to do something about it.

“It was a really a scary few days,” he said. “But my family is all good now. We heard from my grandma and the rest of the family shortly after the earthquake.”

The students played the 2001 Japanese animated fantasy-adventure movie Spirited Away on a projection screen, with admission by donation. There was a silent auction selling advance Dancing Bear Festival tickets and there was also a stand at which goodies were for sale. Students also made origami cranes for attendees to purchase.

“There's a Japanese legend that says if you make 1,000 cranes, you get a wish,” said student Tara Dudley. “We didn't quite get to 1,000, but the proceeds from all cranes purchased will go to the Japanese Red Cross.”

Dudley, who helped organize the event with Souza, was pleased with how the night went.

“I'm so, so happy and everyone's been so generous,” Dudley said. “Myself and my friends helped bake all the goods and Sushi Sen also helped out a lot. I'm just really enthused that so many people came out and donated.”

The students raised $470 from the event and then raised over $200 more dollars by selling off the remaining baked goods in a bake sale on Tuesday (March 29). The grand total from the fundraiser was $677.81.

“I think the whole night went really well,” Souza said. “People have been really generous and have proven they really care. I think a lot of people feel like this hit close to home and I'm so glad that we can help out the people of Japan in a small way.”

The Squamish Sikh Society also stepped up and made a large donation to the Canadian Red Cross to help relief efforts in Japan. The society hosted members of the Squamish Japanese Society at the Sikh temple on Sunday (March 27) and presented them with a donation of $2,188.88.

“It is so nice to see the people all over the world care and concern about Japan like your own country,” said Kaoko Mori of the Squamish Japanese Society. “I am very sure that your compassion will reach to each Japanese people who are facing their toughest time.”

Combined with the fundraiser at Brennan Park on March 20, Squamish events have raised more than $15,000 for the relief efforts in Japan.

http://www.squamishchief.com/articl...est-students-sikh-society-come-to-japans-aid#

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM