• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Query For People In USA

Mar 28, 2005
amritsar
vaahe juru ji ka khalsa , vaahe guru ji ki fateh
well it was good to hear from aman singh ji, this is for brothers living in USA especially eastern coast, i wanted to know wots the status of our sikh brothers in american community like for example in NY , i mean do poeple know about sikhs or is it that they consider us to b muslims is there enough awareness there, for us to b distinguished from the muslims who appear similar to us in looks. i'm asking this bcoz i might b moving to USA for higher studies, are there any suggestions for me, like wich region of usa should i move in and any recommendable universty for MASTERS. i want to b in a place where i can find my sikh brothers around.

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia
Re: query for poeple in USA

You know...your main point to go to America is to study.

So what I advise you is, go with an open heart and mind. Go and gather as much education and experiences as you can. And of course once you are there try to find your kind of people, and if you find one...that's good. If not, find too. God is everywhere. Just don't worry your mind with whether they will mistaken you with a Muslim or not.

The ordinary Americans are usually good people. Some of them are very curious with wanting to know and to learn about others culture/belief, so why not...? You can then talk about your belief. In this global era we do learn from each other, which is not necessarily to accept others beliefs but be more understanding and tolerance with each other.

Good luck.
And have fun...within reason of course.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

vaahe juru ji ka khalsa , vaahe guru ji ki fateh
well it was good to hear from aman singh ji, this is for brothers living in USA especially eastern coast, i wanted to know wots the status of our sikh brothers in american community like for example in NY , i mean do poeple know about sikhs or is it that they consider us to b muslims is there enough awareness there, for us to b distinguished from the muslims who appear similar to us in looks. i'm asking this bcoz i might b moving to USA for higher studies, are there any suggestions for me, like wich region of usa should i move in and any recommendable universty for MASTERS. i want to b in a place where i can find my sikh brothers around.

prabdeep ji,

Luch Ahmed gave you some strong advice. And BTW it was so nice to read what she said. Often I wonder what opinions are of the "ordinary people" here.

To add: the ordinary people are like people everywhere. Some are genuinel interested, and some are very good people who only want to understand and do the right thing. Some are not and some are very prejudiced. It is important to be aware of where you are, where you go, and of the people you seek out. So always be careful, just as you would in your own country.

Where in the US to go and what universities you should look into. That depends on what kind of degree you are seeking. You say a master's degree. In what field of study? Once we know that, then someone can help you figure out how to find a university. And also important, a university in a part of the US where there will also be a concentration of Sikh people.

;)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Respected Amar ji,

The querist had posted the question on 30-3-2005 and it is 2008. Hope the gentleman is happily settled.
Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: