• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Punjabi SPN - Vocabulary And More

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Stork

Modern Punjabi: lam dhing; lam dheeng
http://www.ijunoon.com/

In Gurbani akhli-lam dheeng

Contributed by respected forum member kaur-1
In the Punjabi translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the stork is
"akhil-lam dheeng".
http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/1275.html

Guru Nanak Dev mentions that the akhli bird, also known as lam dheeng flies high in the sky – akhli oondi, whereas the cooling water is to be found far below in the sea – bharnaal. An egoistic person with haumai has high worldly ambitions. He is like the akhli which flies high. Peace of mind is like the cool water- seetal jal - in seas far below. It can be obtained through humility by descending to lower levels. Thus shaanti can be acquired only by descending to lower levels by becoming humble, and by destroying the haumai through the teachings of the gur sabad, and thereby becoming free of vekaars. This is the way of emancipation - maarag mukta.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਪਾਧਰੁ ਜਾਣਿ ॥
sathigur sabadhee paadhhar jaan ||
Through the Shabad, the Word of the True Guru, the Path is known.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਤਕੀਐ ਸਾਚੈ ਤਾਣਿ ॥
gur kai thakeeai saachai thaan ||
With the Guru's Support, one is blessed with the strength of the True Lord.

ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲਸਿ ਰੂੜ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਬਾਣਿ ॥
naam samhaalas roorrhee baan ||
Dwell on the Naam, and realize the Beauteous Word of His Bani.

ਥੈਂ ਭਾਵੈ ਦਰੁ ਲਹਸਿ ਪਿਰਾਣਿ ॥੨॥
thhain bhaavai dhar lehas piraan ||2||
If it is Your Will, Lord, You lead me to find Your Door. ||2||

ਊਡਾਂ ਬੈਸਾ ਏਕ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥
ooddaan baisaa eaek liv thaar ||
Flying high or sitting down, I am lovingly focused on the One Lord.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਮ ਆਧਾਰ ॥
gur kai sabadh naam aadhhaar ||
Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, I take the Naam as my Suppport.

ਨਾ ਜਲੁ ਡੂੰਗਰੁ ਨ ਊਚੀ ਧਾਰ ॥
naa jal ddoongar n oochee dhhaar ||
There is no ocean of water, no mountain ranges rising up.

ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਾ ਤਹ ਮਗੁ ਨ ਚਾਲਣਹਾਰ ॥੩॥
nij ghar vaasaa theh mag n chaalanehaar ||3||
I dwell within the home of my own inner being, where there is no path and no one travelling on it. ||3||

ਜਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਵਸਹਿ ਤੂਹੈ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਬੀਜਉ ਮਹਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੈ ॥
jith ghar vasehi thoohai bidhh jaanehi beejo mehal n jaapai ||
You alone know the way to that House in which You dwell. No one else knows the Mansion of Your Presence.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਸਮਝ ਨ ਹੋਵੀ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਦਬਿਆ ਛਾਪੈ ॥
sathigur baajhahu samajh n hovee sabh jag dhabiaa shhaapai ||
Without the True Guru, there is no understanding. The whole world is buried under its nightmare.

ਕਰਣ ਪਲਾਵ ਕਰੈ ਬਿਲਲਾਤਉ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੈ ॥
karan palaav karai bilalaatho bin gur naam n jaapai ||
The mortal tries all sorts of things, and weeps and wails, but without the Guru, he does not know the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ਪਲ ਪੰਕਜ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਛਡਾਏ ਜੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਿਞਾਪੈ ॥੪॥
pal pankaj mehi naam shhaddaaeae jae gur sabadh sinjaapai ||4||
In the twinkling of an eye, the Naam saves him, if he realizes the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||4||

ਇਕਿ ਮੂਰਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥
eik moorakh andhhae mugadhh gavaar ||
Some are foolish, blind, stupid and ignorant.

ਇਕਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭੈ ਨਾਮ ਅਧਾਰ ॥
eik sathigur kai bhai naam adhhaar ||
Some, through fear of the True Guru, take the Support of the Naam.

ਸਾਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਮੀਠੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰ ॥
saachee baanee meethee anmrith dhhaar ||
The True Word of His Bani is sweet, the source of ambrosial nectar.

ਜਿਨਿ ਪੀਤੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰ ॥੫॥
jin peethee this mokh dhuaar ||5||
Whoever drinks it in, finds the Door of Salvation. ||5||

ਨਾਮੁ ਭੈ ਭਾਇ ਰਿਦੈ ਵਸਾਹੀ ਗੁਰ ਕਰਣੀ ਸਚੁ ਬਾਣੀ ॥
naam bhai bhaae ridhai vasaahee gur karanee sach baanee ||
One who, through the love and fear of God, enshrines the Naam within his heart, acts according to the Guru's Instructions and knows the True Bani.

ਇੰਦੁ ਵਰਸੈ ਧਰਤਿ ਸੁਹਾਵੀ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥
eindh varasai dhharath suhaavee ghatt ghatt joth samaanee ||
When the clouds release their rain, the earth becomes beautiful; God's Light permeates each and every heart.

ਕਾਲਰਿ ਬੀਜਸਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਐਸੀ ਨਿਗੁਰੇ ਕੀ ਨੀਸਾਣੀ ॥
kaalar beejas dhuramath aisee nigurae kee neesaanee ||
The evil-minded ones plant their seed in the barren soil; such is the sign of those who have no Guru.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਘੋਰ ਅੰਧਾਰਾ ਡੂਬਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਾਣੀ ॥੬॥
sathigur baajhahu ghor andhhaaraa ddoob mueae bin paanee ||6||
Without the True Guru, there is utter darkness; they drown there, even without water. ||6||

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਨੋ ਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਰਜਾਇ ॥
jo kishh keeno s prabhoo rajaae ||
Whatever God does, is by His Own Will.

ਜੋ ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਸੁ ਮੇਟਣਾ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
jo dhhur likhiaa s maettanaa n jaae ||
That which is pre-ordained cannot be erased.

ਹੁਕਮੇ ਬਾਧਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਇ ॥
hukamae baadhhaa kaar kamaae ||
Bound to the Hukam of the Lord's Command, the mortal does his deeds.

ਏਕ ਸਬਦਿ ਰਾਚੈ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੭॥
eaek sabadh raachai sach samaae ||7||
Permeated by the One Word of the Shabad, the mortal is immersed in Truth. ||7||

ਚਹੁ ਦਿਸਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਵਰਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਹੁ ਦਿਸਿ ਨਾਮ ਪਤਾਲੰ ॥
chahu dhis hukam varathai prabh thaeraa chahu dhis naam pathaalan ||
Your Command, O God, rules in the four directions; Your Name pervades the four corners of the nether regions as well.

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਰਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਾਚਾ ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਬੈਆਲੰ ॥
sabh mehi sabadh varathai prabh saachaa karam milai baiaalan ||
The True Word of the Shabad is pervading amongst all. By His Grace, the Eternal One unites us with Himself.

ਜਾਂਮਣੁ ਮਰਣਾ ਦੀਸੈ ਸਿਰਿ ਊਭੌ ਖੁਧਿਆ ਨਿਦ੍ਰਾ ਕਾਲੰ ॥
jaanman maranaa dheesai sir oobha khudhhiaa nidhraa kaalan ||
Birth and death hang over the heads of all beings, along with hunger, sleep and dying.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਚੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਰਸਾਲੰ ॥੮॥੧॥੪॥
naanak naam milai man bhaavai saachee nadhar rasaalan ||8||1||4||
The Naam is pleasing to Nanak's mind; O True Lord, Source of bliss, please bless me with Your Grace. ||8||1||4||
ਮਲਾਰ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
malaar mehalaa 1 ||
Malaar, First Mehl:

ਮਰਣ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਗਤਿ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ॥
maran mukath gath saar n jaanai ||
You do not understand the nature of death and liberation.

ਕੰਠੇ ਬੈਠੀ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਛਾਨੈ ॥੧॥
kanthae baithee gur sabadh pashhaanai ||1||
You are sitting on the river-bank; realize the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||1||

ਤੂ ਕੈਸੇ ਆੜਿ ਫਾਥੀ ਜਾਲਿ ॥
thoo kaisae aarr faathhee jaal ||
You stork! - how were you caught in the net?

ਅਲਖੁ ਨ ਜਾਚਹਿ ਰਿਦੈ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
alakh n jaachehi ridhai samhaal ||1|| rehaao ||
You do not remember in your heart the Unseen Lord God. ||1||Pause||

ਏਕ ਜੀਅ ਕੈ ਜੀਆ ਖਾਹੀ ॥
eaek jeea kai jeeaa khaahee ||
For your one life, you consume many lives.

ਜਲਿ ਤਰਤੀ ਬੂਡੀ ਜਲ ਮਾਹੀ ॥੨॥
jal tharathee booddee jal maahee ||2||
You were supposed to swim in the water, but you are drowning in it instead. ||2||

ਸਰਬ ਜੀਅ ਕੀਏ ਪ੍ਰਤਪਾਨੀ ॥
sarab jeea keeeae prathapaanee ||
You have tormented all beings.

ਜਬ ਪਕੜੀ ਤਬ ਹੀ ਪਛੁਤਾਨੀ ॥੩॥
jab pakarree thab hee pashhuthaanee ||3||
When Death seizes you, then you shall regret and repent. ||3||

ਜਬ ਗਲਿ ਫਾਸ ਪੜੀ ਅਤਿ ਭਾਰੀ ॥
jab gal faas parree ath bhaaree ||
When the heavy noose is placed around your neck,
ਊਡਿ ਨ ਸਾਕੈ ਪੰਖ ਪਸਾਰੀ ॥੪॥
oodd n saakai pankh pasaaree ||4||
you may spread your wings, but you shall not be able to fly. ||4||

ਰਸਿ ਚੂਗਹਿ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵਾਰਿ ॥
ras choogehi manamukh gaavaar ||
You enjoy the tastes and flavors, you foolish self-willed manmukh.

ਫਾਥੀ ਛੂਟਹਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥੫॥
faathhee shhoottehi gun giaan beechaar ||5||
You are trapped. You can only be saved by virtuous conduct, spiritual wisdom and contemplation. ||5||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਤੂਟੈ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ॥
sathigur saev thoottai jamakaal ||
Serving the True Guru, you will shatter the Messenger of Death.

ਹਿਰਦੈ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲੁ ॥੬॥
hiradhai saachaa sabadh samhaal ||6||
In your heart, dwell on the True Word of the Shabad. ||6||
ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਾਰੁ ॥
guramath saachee sabadh hai saar ||
The Guru's Teachings, the True Word of the Shabad, is excellent and sublime.

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਖੈ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੭॥
har kaa naam rakhai our dhhaar ||7||
Keep the Name of the Lord enshrined in your heart. ||7||

ਸੇ ਦੁਖ ਆਗੈ ਜਿ ਭੋਗ ਬਿਲਾਸੇ ॥
sae dhukh aagai j bhog bilaasae ||
One who is obsessed with enjoying pleasures here, shall suffer in pain hereafter.

ਨਾਨਕ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਸਾਚੇ ॥੮॥੨॥੫॥
naanak mukath nehee bin naavai saachae ||8||2||5||
O Nanak, there is no liberation without the True Name. ||8||2||5||

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Someone needs to ask why all these different birds are called "bag" or "bagulaa?" There is actually a sensible answer to this question. Dealing with the problem of anomaly in foreign vocabularies (foreign if you don't speak Punjabi) is a skill that needs to be taken seriously.

Giani Jarnail Singh ji has also contributed "egrets" who are also "bagaas."
egret_intermediate_2_aa.jpg

The egret is not mentioned by Guruji. The picture above was taken in the New Dehli area.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Now that we have an illustrated vocabulary of storks, egrets, cranes, herons and swans, should we move onto the chatthrik and kohels: Cuckoos, pea{censored}s, pheasant, quail, partridge, and mocking birds, a group including the kohels and the kokils?

Or do you want to move onto the baaj family? Let me know.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Bhai Gurdas - Vaar 2 Pauri 20

ਫੁਲਾਂ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਵਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਹੋਇ ਭਵਰੁ ਲੁਭਾਣਾ ।
dhulaan andari vaasu hai hoi bhavaru|ubhaanaa|
The Lord is the fragrance in flowers and becoming black bee He is attracted towards flowers.
Line 1 ਅੰਬਾਂ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਰਸ ਧਰੇ ਕੋਇਲ ਰਸੁ ਮਾਣਾ ।
anbaan andari ras dharay koil rasu maanaa|
Sap in the mangoes is He and becoming nightingale He enjoys the same.
Line 2 ਮੋਰ ਬਬੀਹਾ ਹੋਇ ਕੈ ਘਣ ਵਰਸ ਸਿਵਾਣਾ ।
mor babeehaa hoi kai ghan varas sivaanaa|
Becoming pea{censored} and the rain bird (papthd) only He identifies the delight in raining of the clouds.
Line 3 ਖੀਰ ਨੀਰ ਸੰਜੋਗ ਹੋਇ ਕਲੀਕੰਦ ਵਖਾਣਾ ।
kheer neer sanjog hoi kaleekand vakhaanaa|
He transforms Himself into variegated sweets by becoming milk and water.
Line 4 ਓਅੰਕਾਰੁ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਪਿੰਡ ਪਰਾਣਾ ।
aoankaaru aakaaru kari hoi pind paraanaa|
The same Formless Lord assuming different forms is residing in all the bodies.
Line 5 ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਵਰੱਤਦਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਵਾਣਾ ॥੨੦॥੨॥
aapay aapi varatadaa guramukhi paravaanaa ॥20॥2॥
He is omnipresent in all substances and activities and gurmukhs bow before all such stages.
Line 6

This is a nice vaar that I think illustrates a respect for nature and realisation that Waheguru permeantes its creation.

I note koel has been translated as nightingale here.

Shall we move on the baaj family now?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
By the way, I got an email from Chandigarh Administration today saying they will look to see if they can get a copy of that publication on Punjabi bird names for us.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
another random thought..
Countless times i have been asked..whats so great about GURMUKHI ? Isnt the Translated Gurbani the SAME THING ??
Lets go back to the time of Guru Nanank Jis aagman. In 1469 there were a myriad of well established, well developed, and very popular languages...there was Persian, F{censored}e, Arabic, Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi, Gujrati, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, etc etc etc.
When Akal Purakh sent Guru nanak Ji Sahib on His Divine Mission..He must have made it clear that the Divine Mission of Guru nanak Ji Sahib is such a New revolutionary GYAN...that any of the already used languages/scripts cannot fit that. Thus to spread His New Mission..Guru nanak Ji Sahib set about scripting GHARRING the brand new GURMUKHI SCRIPT. Granted that soem remnanats of an older script similar to Gurmukhi already existed and Sheikh Farid Ji wrote his sloks in that but the entire RESHAPING/REMOULDING of the 35 akharee Gurmukhi rests squarely on Guru nanak Ji Sahibs Broad shoulders. Guur Nanak Ji sahib then began to use this nw script to pen down His Gurbani..as it came from AKAL PURAKH.
This is another aspect we always forget or overlook - the ORIGINAL LAREEDAAR GURBANI scripted in SGGS is the TRUE "Shape" of the Gurbani that AKAL PURAKH SENT DOWN. AAslee cheez hee eh hai.
2. Paddchedd..is one LAYER DOWN the road AWAY from the TRUE GURU. Instead of holding on to the Guurs FINGER..we seek to hold the finger of the Padd chedder..
3. Translation..is another SECOND layer down the road AWAY from the TRUE GURU...here we follow the direction of the translator/teekakar..as to what Guru Ji MEANS...
3 Just take a worldly example.... the Works of Shakespeare. Everybody knows his works are in the ORIGINAL....and also abridged versions, stories, simple english verisons etc..even some in Punjabi ( I had a Punjabi version of Raja Lear in my Gyani Exam in the 1970's...a very simpliefied story/tale...)
Now who in his right mind will say that ALL these are SAME ?? What Shakespeare wrote ORIGINALLY is the pristine pure form of his thoughts in his english. If a fool like em insists that having read Raja Lear in Punjabi drama is the same as reading Original King Lear...i will be laughed out on my ear...BUT we expect that answer form those who support ENGLISH HUKMNAMAS...from the Translated version of SGGS..they INSIST it is all the SAME ???? REALLY ?? who says ?? The person who listens to the English Hukamnama is on the same wavelength as me readign the punjabi verison of Raja Lear in simplified Punjabi... I will get the gist of the story/tale of lear and his daughters etc etc BUT...then again...a cheap imitation is always visible...
There is a reason why the Ilahi Gurbani is in Gurmukhi Script..time is short guys..get into the act and get cracking....its just 35 akhars..and Guru Ji will do the rest..300 saal GURU de NAAL must be made truly worthwhile...
Regards to all
Gyani Jarnail Singh

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Gyani ji

I agree that sometimes translations can seem way off the mark. But until someone has fully learnt to grasp a language, there are limited ways to support them. In this light, with all their limitations, translations and transliterations serve a good purpose although I agree nothing beats reading bani in its original form. I mentioned earlier that often my reading of a transliterated word in English is significantly different to the correct pronunciation.

One of the many beautiful things about Gurmukhi is that it is phonetically correct. This means the symbols strictly map to specific sounds. Trying to teach people English and having to explain untold contradictions regarding grapheme to morpheme mapping gives one a greater appreciation for the consistency of the language.

However I don't agree that it boils down to just 35 letters anymore. Some of these letters (the ones at the end of the lines) have become so rarely used that I can't remember having ever encountered them. In reality there are now 40 different letters (including the ones added to accommodate Persian vocabulary) and about a dozen or so other vowel/diacritical symbols.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Bhai Gurdas's vaars:

ਚੰਦ ਚਕੋਰ ਪਰੀਤ ਹੈ ਲਾਇ ਤਾਰ ਨਿਹਾਲੇ ।
chand chakor pareet hai|aai taar nihaalay|
Red-legged partridge (chakor) loves moon and hence stares at it without even losing its glance.

ਚਕਵੀ ਸੂਰਜ ਹੇਤ ਹੈ ਮਿਲਿ ਹੋਨਿ ਸੁਖਾਲੇ ।
chakavee sooraj hayt hai mili honi sukhaalay|
Ruddy sheldrake (chakavi) loves sun, and in sunlight, meeting its beloved feels elated.

ਨੇਹੁ ਕਵਲ ਜਲ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਖਿੜਿ ਮੁਹ ਵੇਖਾਲੇ ।
nayhu kaval jal jaaneeai khirhi muh vaykhaalay|
Lotus loves water and shows the water its blossomed face.

ਮੋਰ ਬਬੀਹੇ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਵੇਖਿ ਬਦਲ ਕਾਲੇ ।
mor babeehay boladay vaykhi badal kaalay|
Rain birds and pea{censored}s also shriek when they see the clouds.

ਨਾਰਿ ਭਤਾਰ ਪਿਆਰੁ ਹੈ ਮਾਂ ਪੁਤ ਸਮ੍ਹਾਲੇ ।
naari bhataar piaaru hai maan put samhaalay|
Wife loves her husband and mother takes care of the son.

ਪੀਰ ਮੁਰੀਦਾ ਪਿਰਹੜੀ ਓਹੁ ਨਿਬਹੈ ਨਾਲੇ ॥੪॥
peer mureedaa piraharhee aohu nibahai naalay ॥4॥
Similarly the Sikh loves Guru and this love accompanies him to the end.

The big picture below is a "red legged partridge" and the smaller one below is a "ruddy sheldrake" (the name makes me laugh).

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingji

Thank you for this enthusiastic contribution of pictures and Gurbani. Really peps the thread up.

Do you think many people are using the cool English to Punjabi online translator that has been posted? It is a good tool to find modern Punjabi equivalents for almost any word. Then we can see how gurbani and modern punjabi are the same and how they are different.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gianai ji
Your reply ought to be a thread of its own, with a sticky at the top of any spot where Gurbani translation is being discussed. I am WoWed by this synopsis!

And yes it is only 35 akhars! Let's hope that this thread makes people motivated to learn the original script and language.

Dalsing ji, what you have said
One of the many beautiful things about Gurmukhi is that it is phonetically correct. This means the symbols strictly map to specific sounds. Trying to teach people English and having to explain untold contradictions regarding grapheme to morpheme mapping gives one a greater appreciation for the consistency of the language.

Puts the picture together for people who want to learn Gurmukhi. The discipline of learning the alphabet, the letter sounds, and the form of the words is one leg of the journey. Then there is the layer of getting closer to the varieties of meanings, the task of understanding the vocabulary -- another leg. This part is where discussion and participation helps spur thought on.
another random thought..
Countless times i have been asked..whats so great about GURMUKHI ? Isnt the Translated Gurbani the SAME THING ??
Lets go back to the time of Guru Nanank Jis aagman. In 1469 there were a myriad of well established, well developed, and very popular languages...there was Persian, F{censored}e, Arabic, Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi, Gujrati, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, etc etc etc.
When Akal Purakh sent Guru nanak Ji Sahib on His Divine Mission..He must have made it clear that the Divine Mission of Guru nanak Ji Sahib is such a New revolutionary GYAN...that any of the already used languages/scripts cannot fit that. Thus to spread His New Mission..Guru nanak Ji Sahib set about scripting GHARRING the brand new GURMUKHI SCRIPT. Granted that soem remnanats of an older script similar to Gurmukhi already existed and Sheikh Farid Ji wrote his sloks in that but the entire RESHAPING/REMOULDING of the 35 akharee Gurmukhi rests squarely on Guru nanak Ji Sahibs Broad shoulders. Guur Nanak Ji sahib then began to use this nw script to pen down His Gurbani..as it came from AKAL PURAKH.
This is another aspect we always forget or overlook - the ORIGINAL LAREEDAAR GURBANI scripted in SGGS is the TRUE "Shape" of the Gurbani that AKAL PURAKH SENT DOWN. AAslee cheez hee eh hai.
2. Paddchedd..is one LAYER DOWN the road AWAY from the TRUE GURU. Instead of holding on to the Guurs FINGER..we seek to hold the finger of the Padd chedder..
3. Translation..is another SECOND layer down the road AWAY from the TRUE GURU...here we follow the direction of the translator/teekakar..as to what Guru Ji MEANS...
3 Just take a worldly example.... the Works of Shakespeare. Everybody knows his works are in the ORIGINAL....and also abridged versions, stories, simple english verisons etc..even some in Punjabi ( I had a Punjabi version of Raja Lear in my Gyani Exam in the 1970's...a very simpliefied story/tale...)
Now who in his right mind will say that ALL these are SAME ?? What Shakespeare wrote ORIGINALLY is the pristine pure form of his thoughts in his english. If a fool like em insists that having read Raja Lear in Punjabi drama is the same as reading Original King Lear...i will be laughed out on my ear...BUT we expect that answer form those who support ENGLISH HUKMNAMAS...from the Translated version of SGGS..they INSIST it is all the SAME ???? REALLY ?? who says ?? The person who listens to the English Hukamnama is on the same wavelength as me readign the punjabi verison of Raja Lear in simplified Punjabi... I will get the gist of the story/tale of lear and his daughters etc etc BUT...then again...a cheap imitation is always visible...
There is a reason why the Ilahi Gurbani is in Gurmukhi Script..time is short guys..get into the act and get cracking....its just 35 akhars..and Guru Ji will do the rest..300 saal GURU de NAAL must be made truly worthwhile...
Regards to all
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Note on Koel or Kohel - I have tried to explain elsewhere in the thread that koel is used interchangeably to express more than one bird, because it is a category of birds in the chattthrik family. Most of the time it is a reference to mockingbird. Kohel has stuck in modern Punjabi, as has chattriik, and kokil.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsingh ji

I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like a second childhood. Then I worry - - but say "Well what is wrong with a little fun? There is so little of it. And the Internet provides this chance to share a few chuckles." Great photos! In just a few days the thread has had many views. So someone is enjoying it.

Onto the baaj

ਸੀਹਾ ਬਾਜਾ ਚਰਗਾ ਕੁਹੀਆ ਏਨਾ ਖਵਾਲੇ ਘਾਹ ॥
seehaa baajaa charagaa kuheeaa eaenaa khavaalae ghaah ||
Tigers, hawks, falcons and eagles-the Lord could make them eat grass.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsingh ji

I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like a second childhood. Then I worry - - but say "Well what is wrong with a little fun? There is so little of it. And the Internet provides this chance to share a few chuckles." Great photos! In just a few days the thread has had many views. So someone is enjoying it.

Nothing wrong with holding on to or reviving some of that childhood innocence. I would say it is probably much required in this day and age. I would even go as far as to say it is probably healthy for us psychologically!

One thing that doesn't change in our lives, whilst we have our faculties, is that we still continue to learn - both consciously and otherwise. This remains constant from childhood, if you're lucky enough to keep yourself open to it. So maybe this is why learning this stuff is bringing you back to your childhood?

Personally I haven't had such a pleasant learning experience in ages! I'm really chuffed at my increase in understanding in such a short space of time.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Baaj family

ਸੀਹਾ ਬਾਜਾ ਚਰਗਾ ਕੁਹੀਆ ਏਨਾ ਖਵਾਲੇ ਘਾਹ ॥
seehaa baajaa charagaa kuheeaa eaenaa khavaalae ghaah ||
Tigers, hawks, falcons and eagles-the Lord could make them eat grass.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
lanner_desertnpadult.jpg

Falcon as found in Rajastan

Modern Punjabi n. baj. M; lagar. M;

Page1288 Line 5 Raag Malaar: Guru Nanak Dev

ਹਰਣਾਂ ਬਾਜਾਂ ਤੈ ਸਿਕਦਾਰਾਂ ਏਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਪੜ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਆ ਨਾਉ ॥
haranaan baajaan thai sikadhaaraan eaenhaa parrihaaa naao ||
Deer, falcons and government officials are known to be trained and clever.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
By doing it this way -- we also have 2 additional words from Gurbani

Tigers and Deer

Tigers in Gurbani seehaa
Modern Punjabi n. bagh. M; sher. M
;
extensive-tig-tour2.jpg

Deer in Gurbani haranaan
Modern Punjabi n. haran. M; harni. F; And the modern Punjabi and the deer in Gurbani are the same!

kanha_barasingha_tn.jpg

deer.jpg

Pictures typical of north Indian tiger and swamp deer.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Click on Details > Main Banjaran Ram Ki (Details)

ਗਉੜੀ ਬੈਰਾਗਣਿ ਮਹਲਾ
गउड़ी बैरागणि महला १ ॥
Ga*oṛī bairāgaṇ mehlā 1.
Gauree Bairaagan, First Mehl:

ਹਰਣੀ ਹੋਵਾ ਬਨਿ ਬਸਾ ਕੰਦ ਮੂਲ ਚੁਣਿ ਖਾਉ
हरणी होवा बनि बसा कंद मूल चुणि खाउ ॥
Harṇī hovā ban basā kanḏ mūl cẖuṇ kẖā*o.
What if I were to become a deer, and live in the forest, picking and eating fruits and roots -

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਾਰਿ ਵਾਰਿ ਹਉ ਜਾਉ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
गुर परसादी मेरा सहु मिलै वारि वारि हउ जाउ जीउ ॥१॥
Gur parsādī mėrā saho milai vār vār ha*o jā*o jī*o. ||1||
by Guru's Grace, I am a sacrifice to my Master. Again and again, I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice. ||1||

ਮੈ ਬਨਜਾਰਨਿ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ
मै बनजारनि राम की ॥
Mai banjāran rām kī.
I am the shop-keeper of the Lord.

ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਰੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ਜੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
तेरा नामु वखरु वापारु जी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ŧėrā nām vakẖar vāpār jī. ||1|| rahā*o.
Your Name is my merchandise and trade. ||1||Pause||

ਕੋਕਿਲ ਹੋਵਾ ਅੰਬਿ ਬਸਾ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਬਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ
कोकिल होवा अ्मबि बसा सहजि सबद बीचारु ॥
Kokil hovā amb basā sahj sabaḏ bīcẖār.
If I were to become a cuckoo, living in a mango tree, I would still contemplate the Word of the Shabad.

ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਰੂਪਿ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
सहजि सुभाइ मेरा सहु मिलै दरसनि रूपि अपारु ॥२॥
Sahj subẖā*ė mėrā saho milai ḏarsan rūp apār. ||2||
I would still meet my Lord and Master, with intuitive ease; the Darshan, the Blessed Vision of His Form, is incomparably beautiful. ||2||

ਮਛੁਲੀ ਹੋਵਾ ਜਲਿ ਬਸਾ ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਰਿ
मछुली होवा जलि बसा जीअ जंत सभि सारि ॥
Macẖẖulī hovā jal basā jī*a janṯ sabẖ sār.
If I were to become a fish, living in the water, I would still remember the Lord, who watches over all beings and creatures.

ਉਰਵਾਰਿ ਪਾਰਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਹੁ ਵਸੈ ਹਉ ਮਿਲਉਗੀ ਬਾਹ ਪਸਾਰਿ ॥੩॥
उरवारि पारि मेरा सहु वसै हउ मिलउगी बाह पसारि ॥३॥
Urvār pār mėrā saho vasai ha*o mila*ugī bāh pasār. ||3||
My Husband Lord dwells on this shore, and on the shore beyond; I would still meet Him, and hug Him close in my embrace. ||3||

ਨਾਗਨਿ ਹੋਵਾ ਧਰ ਵਸਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਸੈ ਭਉ ਜਾਇ
नागनि होवा धर वसा सबदु वसै भउ जाइ ॥
Nāgan hovā ḏẖar vasā sabaḏ vasai bẖa*o jā*ė.
If I were to become a snake, living in the ground, the Shabad would still dwell in my mind, and my fears would be dispelled.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਦਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਿਨ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੯॥
नानक सदा सोहागणी जिन जोती जोति समाइ ॥४॥२॥१९॥
Nānak saḏā sohāgaṇī jin joṯī joṯ samā*ė. ||4||2||19||
O Nanak, they are forever the happy soul-brides, whose light merges into His Light. ||4||2||19||

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: