• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Politics Punjab FM Revolts Against Akali Dal PAC

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Punjab FM revolts against Akali Dal PAC, adamant on economic package deal with center

Punjab Newsline Network
Thursday, 07 October 2010
By Satinder Bains

- "PAC was trying to bully me"
- "I am answerable to CM only"
- I will take the debt waiver deal with center to logical end"
- "Winning election is not important, the future of Punjab is more important"
- You cant rule the state whole of your life on subsidy politics"

Manpreet Badal said that he cant tolerate if somebody is questioning his loyality towards party. He said, "I am born Akali and I had no choice of deciding to which family I shall born". He said that as far as political life is concerned he has set high standards for him. He said that PAC members have accsued him of hobnobbing with center and Congress party. I have strong objection to such observations, he argued.

Manpreet Badal - CHANDIGARH: A day after the Politial Affairs Committee(PAC) of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) under the Chairmanship of SAD President Sukhbir Singh Badal, authorised Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to take action against Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal for his public statement on sigining debt waiver agreement with center government, the FM on Thursday took the party president and PAC members by horns. He described PAC action uncalled for and added, "I am answerable to CM only".

The PAC in its meeting held here on Wednesday accused Manpreet Singh Badal for violating party discipline by speaking publically on an offer made by center government for debt waiver of Punjab. Center government has offered to waive off half of the Rs.70,000 crore debt waiver on certain conditions. SAD president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal had rejected FM's proposal saying that conditions laid by center government are not realistic and not acceptable to the party and government.

Speaking hard at a press conference here at his residence, Manpreet Badal said that Sukhbir Singh Badal was talking of ruling the state for 25 years, creating infrastructure and bringing reforms. How is this possible without money, he asked ? He told his critic in the party in clear terms, "You cant rule the state whole of your life on subsidy politics".

Manpreet Badal said that for him winning elections is not improtant than future of Punjab.He stated that he was worried about future of state and it is an life time offportunity being given by center. "The center government has shown a big heart by giving this oportunity", he added.

He alleged that PAC was trying to bully him. He said that he had kept the Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal in loop while negotiating with Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on debt waiver. He said that cabinet was given one hour briefing on the center's proposal and before taking any final decision, the proposal would be put before cabinet in black and white for approval.

Finance Minister said that party leaders Gurdev Singh Badal, Prem Singh Chandumajra and Maheshinder Singh had spoken against him in the PAC meeting and demanded action for violating party descipline. I was deeply hurt by PAC decision. He said that this morning before he could talk to Chief Minister, he (Badal) was injured and admitted in hospital. I went to the hospital to inquire about his health and talked him about statements given by certain PAC members.

Manpreet Badal said that Chief Minsiter was satrisfied with his clarification and assured him no action would be taken against him. "I am happy that Chief Minister has accepted his version on the issue."

Manpreet Badal also declared that he will take the debt waiver deal to logical end and will stay in office untill the deal is not finalised. When asked about acceptance of his proposal by party, he hoped that party would support him. He said that he had told Vidhan Sabha on debt waiver package during debate on economy started by Captain Amarinder Singh.

Manpreet Badal said that he cant tolerate if somebody is questioning his loyality towards party. He said, "I am born Akali and I had no choice of deciding to which family I shall born". He said that as far as political life is concerned he has set high standards for him. He said that PAC members have accsued him of hobnobbing with center and Congress party. I have strong objection to such observations, he argued.

Manpreet Badal said that he was working under the Indian constitution and as memebr of cabinet he is empowered to central minister for the welfare of state irrespective of the fat which party rules in the center.

When asked about sincerety of center government in fulfilling the commitment in the light of previous instances when center backed out from promises, he said that he had full faith in word of Pranab Mukherjee since he is man of word.

He said that many other states owe debt to center but this package is given to punjab only. All aprties shall support it, he added, Replying to a question that Congress party would benefit from debt waiver, he said that he was talking about politics, he is talking about future of Punjab.

source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/punjab-fm-revolts-against-akali-dal-pac-adamant-economic-package-deal-center/24643

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Now, a divided SAD battles crisis within
Ramaninder K Bhatia, TNN, Oct 8, 2010
THE TIMES OF INDIA

CHANDIGARH: Is the house of Badals going the Bal Thackeray family way where the son and the nephew of the Shiv Sena supremo parted ways over leadership issue?

In the process of averting a crisis within the party on Thursday, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) managed to push itself deeper into trouble, following the Centre's proposal of a debt waiver and the eventual differences between deputy chief minister Sukhbir Badal and his cousin and finance minister Manpreet Badal.

On a day of fast unfolding dramatic developments — which included the CM first giving a clean chit to the FM for his conduct in the last two days, and then sending a harsh warning to him after Manpreet held a press conference on the subject — sources close to the CM stated that ''Manpreet had pushed himself too far and if he does not come around this time, he is history''. All eyes are now on the FM to see how he would respond to this.

The immediate provocation for Thursday's showdown came from the core committee meeting of SAD, held on Wednesday night, where senior party leaders took a dim view of Manpreet's views in a newspaper, which were construed as a challenge to Sukhbir's leadership. Manpreet had said that he and his cousin Sukhbir, who is also the SAD president, were not on the same page and they had different ways of functioning. Manpreet also pushed for acceptance of the recent offer from the Centre, which aims at doing away with the populist politics of the SAD-BJP government, in lieu of giving waiver of the long-standing loans of the state government.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Now-a-divided-SAD-battles-crisis-within/articleshow/6710158.cms

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Words of the bard, in Macbeth.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: