Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Problem with shared MDE file on network

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Fred, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Fred

    Fred
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I have created a split DB in Access 2003 and want to use a single front
    end on the shared directory of our network, so I created an MDE file. I
    created a shortcut for folks to launch the MDE file, but nothing
    happens when they click it. Even if they navigate to the actual MDE
    file and double-click it nothing happens at all. However, they can
    launch the original MDB file - which is not the solution I am looking
    for. Any ideas why the "lockout" on the MDE file? I have not created
    any users, security levels, groups, at all.

    Thanks,
    Fred
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Sikhs Face Problems While Carrying Kirpans In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa - SikhSiyasat.Net Breaking News Jul 29, 2016
    "Dasam" Granth - A Look At The Core Problems Dasam Granth Oct 21, 2015
    Problems In Life Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Apr 13, 2015
    How can I make decent and useful friends and from where ?? most people have a problem with me Sikh Youth Oct 23, 2013
    The Problem with Taking Too Many Vitamins Health & Nutrition Oct 18, 2013

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Joseph Meehan
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > I have created a split DB in Access 2003 and want to use a single
    > front end on the shared directory of our network, so I created an MDE
    > file. I created a shortcut for folks to launch the MDE file, but
    > nothing happens when they click it. Even if they navigate to the
    > actual MDE file and double-click it nothing happens at all. However,
    > they can launch the original MDB file - which is not the solution I
    > am looking for. Any ideas why the "lockout" on the MDE file? I have
    > not created any users, security levels, groups, at all.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fred


    You did not say, but I would guess the FE is not in the same directory
    as the BE and the users don't have the same access rights to that directory.

    I should add that you are defeating much of the advantage of a split
    database by sharing a FE. Normally you want each user to have their own
    copy of the FE on their own machine. It works better than way for a number
    of reasons.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
     
  4. Fred

    Fred
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > You did not say, but I would guess the FE is not in the same directory
    > as the BE and the users don't have the same access rights to that directory.
    >
    > I should add that you are defeating much of the advantage of a split
    > database by sharing a FE. Normally you want each user to have their own
    > copy of the FE on their own machine. It works better than way for a number
    > of reasons.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit


    Joseph, thanks for the reply. Yes, I hid the BE away from the FE. My
    main reason for wanting the shared FE is that I plan to continue to
    evolve the forms and reports and don't want to have to install the
    updated FE on 80 plus machines every time. That being said, I am
    planning to look closely at "Auto FE Updater" - see:
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm - looks promising.
     
  5. Joseph Meehan

    Joseph Meehan
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >
    >> You did not say, but I would guess the FE is not in the same
    >> directory as the BE and the users don't have the same access rights
    >> to that directory.
    >>
    >> I should add that you are defeating much of the advantage of a
    >> split database by sharing a FE. Normally you want each user to have
    >> their own copy of the FE on their own machine. It works better than
    >> way for a number of reasons.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit

    >
    > Joseph, thanks for the reply. Yes, I hid the BE away from the FE. My
    > main reason for wanting the shared FE is that I plan to continue to
    > evolve the forms and reports and don't want to have to install the
    > updated FE on 80 plus machines every time. That being said, I am
    > planning to look closely at "Auto FE Updater" - see:
    > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm - looks promising.



    I suggest that you may want to look into some of the various tools and
    procedures to distribute front ends. Making a front end but keeping it on
    the server really does not do much for you. You need to have them on the
    user's machines.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
     
  6. Fred

    Fred
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > I suggest that you may want to look into some of the various tools and
    > procedures to distribute front ends. Making a front end but keeping it on
    > the server really does not do much for you. You need to have them on the
    > user's machines.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan


    Joseph,

    I looked at Auto FE Updater - while it does look powerful, it's a bit
    daunting to me re: the prep and setup. What are some of the other
    tools you are thinking of?

    Fred
     

Share This Page