• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Preparation Of Amrit

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Water-taps used to have washers made of hide from cows, and it was generally not acceptable. Now no more hides and plastics are in the forefront.

Why is this no longer acceptable?

Should we ban hides from Dholkees from which Kirtan is played?

Should we ban hides from Tablas from which accompanies shabad?

Should we ban hides from a multitude of other uses including shoes, belts, "gatray" etc?

What make plastic purer than hide? What makes one more acceptable than the other?:confused:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Why is this no longer acceptable?

Should we ban hides from Dholkees from which Kirtan is played?

Should we ban hides from Tablas from which accompanies shabad?

Should we ban hides from a multitude of other uses including shoes, belts, "gatray" etc?

What make plastic purer than hide? What makes one more acceptable than the other?:confused:

Randip ji,

Guru Fateh.

Good questions.

Allow me to add a couple more.

How about Chor- the fly whisk- that is used to whisk off imaginary flies or other bugs and then matha teked with every pretentious motion?

Shall we have them made from fake platinum blonde hair?

What kind of hide was used as a water carrier by Bhai Ghanayihah when he quenched the thirst of both- friends and foes?

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gurmit Kaur ji

I think those pics of sants on lion skins were a later invention. The earliest paintings of the Guru's do not show them sitting on lion skins. I have a big collection of Guru Nanak paintings from the Persian period and that is not part of the composition. This, I think, is a 19th Century addition that came with the breakdown of Sikhi traditions during the period of British imperialism.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Certainly our Gurus HUNTED wild animals....Guur Hargobind Ji Sahib hunted down a Lion that was a man eater and terrorising the neighbourhood...Guur Gobind Singh Ji was also a HUNTER....BUT certainly they DID NOT SIT AROUND ON "dead animals/lions/tigers....Those are found in NANAKSAREE THHATHS..and the sants are the ones nanaksaris promote.( Sant Isher singh and nand Singh are shown sitting on Tiger hides)....
A SIKH is is a SANT-SIPAHI and has no reason to place a Tiger head/hide to impress !! visitors of his "prowess"....all such fake "haumaii" exists among so called Hunters/white men of the bygone era..Sahibs..who used to hang their wild trophies on walls..deer ehads..bara singas..bull horns...tiger heads etc etc... ALL this has STOPPED NOW..but Some "sikhs" beign alte adopters seem to be gettign into the act....

BTW the Tiger head and Hide displayed in a Nanaksaree Thaath in MALAYSIA is a FAKE TOY TIGER bought form Tesco/Toys R US..!!! He he he...i have no idea what it is meant to convey...Matha Teking to a TOY !!!:}{}{}::}{}{}::}{}{}::}{}{}::}{}{}:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Thank you, I cannot imagine our Gurus sitting on dead animals, I have utmost respect for all later day saints, I mean no dis respect.

They used dead animals for:

• Their saddles
  • their shoes
  • their belts
  • their sword holsters
  • some of their armour
  • The instruments they played
  • The seats they sat on
  • Animal bones for handles on weapons
I could go on ad infinitum.

They also hunted animals. They used this as a means of training their warriors and also feeding people. I think you need to read more history. Ours is a culture of Sant Siphahi, not of Vaisno-Brahmisim. A Warrior and Saint tradition that involved hunting, fighting and killing. Our religion is being polluted too much by Vaishno influences being brought in by the Jatt/Tarkhan Sant/Dera/Jatha traditions in Punjab which are distorting Sikhi.

My question is not only related to this notion of purity to do with animal hides, but one in general, regarding this purity notion of food too. Why must an Amridhari only eat from an Amritdhari etc?

We are regressing to Vaishno-Brahmisim.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM