• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Praying To Only One God

labhdig

SPNer
Sep 19, 2007
I think this is perfect place to ask this question:
In Benati chaupai, there is a line which goes as "Tumhe Chaad koi or na dhiaun" and then there is this Shabad that we used to sing in school- Deh Shiva var mohe eha

So in Benati chaupai the meaning seems to be that I will only pray to one God and in the Shabad Guru Gobind Singh ji is praying to Shiva. Isn't it in contradiction here or the word Shiva has some other meaning and not the Shiva in trinity.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear friend,

Sikhs believe in one God only. They lovingly address it by 'waheguru'. The 'trinity' as per sikhism is Almighty Himself.

Yes, we find in Granth sahib that Gurus have addressed God as Ram as well. Kindly refer Jap Ji sahib and you will find many names used for Guru i.e God. The following should clarify the concept of God in Sikhism.

Thaapia na jaae keetaa na hoe||[/FONT]
God exists unaffected by this world beyond all care.[Other meaning that is also assigned is: One cannot establish the God][/FONT]

Aapae aap nir(n)jan soe||[/FONT]
He is beyond creation self existent.

[This concept is called as Saibhung.][/FONT]

There is following line that you may read in the light of above.I am not giving any meaning to it.

Gur eesar gur gorakh barmaa gur paarbatee maaee||[/FONT]

Hope it helps.

Best Of Luck.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
[SIZE=-1]Sri Dasam Granth Sahib; Displaying page 1351[/SIZE]

ਰਾਮ ਰਹੀਮ ਉਬਾਰ ਨ ਸਕਿ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਕਰ ਨਾਮ ਰਟੈ ਹੈ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਰੁਦ੍ਰ ਸੂਰਹ ਸਸਿ ਤੇ ਬਸਿ ਕਾਲ ਸਭੈ ਹੈ ॥੧
राम रहीम उबार न सकि है जा कर नाम रटै है ॥ ब्रहमा बिशन रुद्र सूरह ससि ते बसि काल सभै है ॥१
You cannot be save by repeating the Names of Ram and Rahim, Brahma, Vishnu Shiva, Sun and Moon, all are subject to the power of Death.1.

Page 88, Line 7
Shiva also could not know His limits; the adepts (Siddhas) alongwith Naths and Sanak etc. meditated upon Him.

Page 349, Line 9
Millions of Shiva worship that Wonderful Entity; millions of Vishnus adore Him.24.102.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM