Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Leisure Practicing Tying Dumalla...

Discussion in 'Business, Lifestyle & Leisure' started by Harkiran Kaur, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Okay, so I decided to try to tie dumalla. The fabric is brand new, mul mul... and it's a bit stiff (not washed or anything) so it turned out a bit loose, but overall I like how I look in it! I *think* I figured out the basics of it anyway... Brings me to my question, is Dumalla only for Nihangs... or I also remember some people saying that only Amritdhari (at the very least) should tie Dumalla?? Anyway, should I stick to gol dastar or does this style suit me better?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Why Meditate? - Five Benefits of Practicing Meditation Spiritual Articles Feb 11, 2010
    Sikh News Turban Tying Event Creates Buzz At University Of Alberta - CBC.ca Breaking News Sep 28, 2016
    UK Reading Sikhs Teach Mp A Lesson In Tying A Turban Breaking News Mar 10, 2015
    Tying Dastar all the time now... my experiences... Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jun 6, 2014
    Leisure Turban tying... Business, Lifestyle & Leisure Mar 11, 2014

3. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Nice one Akasha Ji, actually I cannot choose between the Gol-dastaar or the Dumalla for you, both look equally awesome.
    What lengths and fabric do you use for tying the Dumalla? I haven't tried it yet...:animatedkhanda1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

The Dumalla looks really good on you. You can improve it by making a gomber i.e. the upper dome like of Guruwara. In that you tie your hair together with inner dastar cloth, which ends up with a little taller turban.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Actually that's how I did it... Twist my kesh into the fabric and coil it on top to start but my hair isn't really long yet so it doesn't make a big 'bunga' lol it's cut off in the pic but it does stick up a little bit... If only I had some shastars to put in it I think would look good!!

I used 8 meters total for this. That's all I had so when I cut to dumalla width (1/2 width) I had two pieces both 8 meters. So the inner one is same length as outer. Need to bring back lots of material when I go to India :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Twisting the hair into the fabric at the start is a thing I dont particularly like, I have seen most of the people in Youtube videos doing this. I prefer the proper top-knot while tying my Patiala-shahi turban and casual round-turban.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

My hair is very thick and coarse so it won't stay in a top knot... It bounces right back out! So twisting it in the cloth is the only way I can keep it together while tying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Try the rubber band :D

9. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

I do already :p I need the rubber band to keep it in a ponytail on top of my head just so I can actually twist it in the cloth without it jumping out at the sides as I start to twist! LOL My kesh really has a mind of its own!! haha

10. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Haha....tough luck then....:D

11. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Now you know why I took to tying dastar so easily huh? LOL

It just makes life SOOOOO much easier to contain it all inside a dastar. Before, I would spend an hour blowing my hair dry and then using a flat iron to straighten it just so it would not look like I stuck my finger in a light socket! hahaha Now 15 mins I can do gol dastar, and it's all contained! Plus the bonus is in the wind, my hair does not get in front of my eyes anymore either.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Akasha ji,

Guru fateh.

You look great and now a days it is a trend to change the turban styles among both sexes in the diaspora. So, just please yourself the way you want to.

@ Aristotle ji,

I am one of the dying species who does not tie Patiala style pug. :)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 1
  13. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Actually my turban does not have much of a Nok too. In fact, I just get 3-5 minutes in the morning to get my turban tied up, so cant work on it much...

• Like Like x 1
  14. arshi

arshi United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Akasha ji just a short note to say you look radiant and majestic. May Guru ji bless you on your chosen path, always.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

• Like Like x 1