• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Poker Faced Personalities

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
We all have a masked identity. We are never ready to show our real visage to anybody around us. Never are we honest to ourselves, let alone being to anybody else. Often we try to be someone else. And in this impersonation we tend to lose our originality. The real essence lies in being just oneself. We actually underestimate ourselves when we are making an attempt to be someone else.
We try to either hide our emotions, or try to fake them. We don’t think of ourselves much, we only know that we have to keep up appearances in society. In keeping up, we badly let ourselves down in our own eyes.

Deception tends to rule our lives. This holds true especially in the modern world torn apart by materialistic tendencies. Ingenuity is missing. And this is not at all a sign of a healthy human society.

Being poker faced means not being spontaneous when it comes to display of emotions. Spontaneity is associated with being more natural. And this naturalness implies truthful. It is only after deliberation that we pollute the thing with untruth.

And doing this is not that easy, we have to practice that. Smiling when heart is crying, or just making do with a casual smile when you really feel like punching the other person hard in the face for some really big blunder or uttering something grossly rubbish are some of the instances when we display a look of our poker faced personalities. These are the situations when you basically cannot express your real feelings. So we have to take the help of fake emotions. At times, we learn to feign sheer indifference. We put on a cloak of being concerned when we don’t ever intend to be.

Apart from our words, even our body language too tends to expose our real thoughts. So we need to master the art of deception in that too. In the present times, we find a lot many poker faced personalities. It was Shakespeare who wrote as far back as seventeenth century:

“All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players:

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts…”

and these lines hold as true as ever.

We wear a mask daily because we are afraid of truth. We are afraid of acknowledging what is obvious because all that we have in our mind is deception—at times it means camouflaging emotions, while at other it is simply degrading someone else just for the sake the for And also because we are afraid to own our weaknesses and our real self. It is high time we stopped bluffing and mastered the art of ingenuity. That would definitely make this world a better place to live in…with a lost less grievances, tears, complaints and heart breaks. Let’s contribute our bit…speak up now, just as I poured my heart out in writing this post…

Reference: Literary Jewels: Poker Faced Personalities

Attachments

• poker_faced_personalities.jpg
    poker_faced_personalities.jpg
    6.9 KB · Reads: 327

Gottam

SPNer
Dec 28, 2009
As i read this, i was in a little bit of confusion, as i thought this person who wrote this either had made a blunder at work, or just recently had their heart broken. I feel that we have to mask our emotions when dealing with the other because all of us our at a different emotional levels. One that has been hurt is more "poker faced" than someone who has never felt the pain of heart break. If one person opens up too fast then the other is taken back in the early stages of dating then the open person is considered needy or clingy. Society has trained us to always think we can do better, at least in america it is like that but if a person is not happy with themselves then they will not be happy with someone else

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM