Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Performance

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Zanstemic, Jul 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Zanstemic

    Zanstemic
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Two primary tables for contact information and scheduling. Relationships are
    built for pulldown selection.

    Can access handle 5000 records per day with 25 users? (no graphics)

    If it cannot, what is the ceiling?
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Albert D.Kallal

    Albert D.Kallal
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Do you mean that you have 5000 records and 25 users.

    Or, you expect to increase the database, and be entering 5000 NEW records
    every day?

    That sounds like you will be entering over 1 million records into the
    database per year.

    25 users, and a contact file of 5000, or even 50,000 users is certainly well
    within ms-access limits in a file share environment.

    I would have to say that since *several* versions of free database servers
    exist from Microsoft soft, you can consider using ms-access for the front
    end (data entry), and the back end part would be sql server.

    If you are talking about 5000 records per day, then you are dealing with
    quite a large increase in data. Further, since you are talking about 25
    users, then I would likely consider sql server for the back end. But,
    ms-access is most certainly good choice for the front end part.

    I suppose it depends on what you do with those 5000 new records per day, but
    if they stay in the database, then I would use sql server with ms-access in
    that case.

    --
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
     
  4. John Vinson

    John Vinson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:11:02 -0700, Zanstemic
    <Zanstemic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can access handle 5000 records per day with 25 users? (no graphics)
    >
    >If it cannot, what is the ceiling?


    2 billion bytes in any single .mdb file.... and your database can span
    multiple .mdb files.

    500,000 records will require some decent indexing and table design.
    5,000,000 records is getting pretty big. You can always start with a
    ..mdb file backend and move to an Access frontend with the data in
    SQL/Server if necessary (or, if you wish, you might start with it
    directly).

    25 users is very reasonable if you use the Database Splitter Wizard to
    put the tables in a shared "backend" and give each user a copy of the
    "frontend". If all 25 users are hammering away updating tables
    concurrently, you may have some conflicts; if most are read-only users
    you should be fine.


    John W. Vinson[MVP]
     
  5. Joseph Meehan

    Joseph Meehan
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Albert D.Kallal wrote:
    > Do you mean that you have 5000 records and 25 users.
    >
    > Or, you expect to increase the database, and be entering 5000 NEW
    > records every day?
    >
    > That sounds like you will be entering over 1 million records into the
    > database per year.
    >
    > 25 users, and a contact file of 5000, or even 50,000 users is
    > certainly well within ms-access limits in a file share environment.


    Don't you mean 50,000 records? :)
    >


    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
     
  6. Zanstemic

    Zanstemic
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    For clarity: 25 users entering 5000 per day the system will grow to at
    maximum capacity.

    "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

    > Albert D.Kallal wrote:
    > > Do you mean that you have 5000 records and 25 users.
    > >
    > > Or, you expect to increase the database, and be entering 5000 NEW
    > > records every day?
    > >
    > > That sounds like you will be entering over 1 million records into the
    > > database per year.
    > >
    > > 25 users, and a contact file of 5000, or even 50,000 users is
    > > certainly well within ms-access limits in a file share environment.

    >
    > Don't you mean 50,000 records? :)
    > >

    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit
    >
    >
    >
     

Share This Page