Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

India Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by spnadmin, Jan 6, 2014.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Patna man files defamation suit against son for inter-caste marriage

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...-against-son-for-inter-caste-marriage-1945362

A man in Bihar disowned his son and filed a defamation case against him Saturday for marrying out of caste.

Sidhnath Sharma, a Patna lawyer, also asserted that his son Sushant Jasu could no longer use his name and will have to pay Rs.10,000 copyright fees every time he used it.

Filing a defamation suit of Rs.1 crore against his son in the court at Danapur here, Sharma said: "My image and honour was hurt by my son, who solemnized an inter-caste marriage against our wishes, now he must compensate for it..."

Sushant Jasu, who works for the central government as a senior tax assistant in Gujarat's Palampur town, married a girl, a resident of Danapur, Patna who works in a private bank on Nov 19, 2013.

An angry Sharma said: "... I and my wife spent time and money to nurse my son for years but he betrayed us. He fell in love with a girl who came into his life two years ago only."

He claimed his son's act has ended a nearly 400-year-old family tradition of marrying within their own caste.

In Bihar, inter-caste marriages, though encouraged by the government, are still largely considered taboo and those who do it generally face hostility from their families and society.

In a bid to encourage such marriages, the state government last year decided to double the incentive for it. Under the scheme, a woman marrying out of caste will now get Rs.50,000 instead of Rs.25,000.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

3. Taranjeet singh

Taranjeet singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

In my humble opinion the claim is not tenable at all. It would be rejected in the very first hearing.

ps/
    I am no expert

• Like Like x 5
  4. SaintSoldier1699

SaintSoldier1699
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

"My image and honour was hurt by my son, who solemnized an inter-caste marriage against our wishes, now he must compensate for it..."

Hmm so clearly filling an unusual law suit will obviously not make it more obvious world wide and add to his hurt image and honour? :doh:

• Like Like x 5
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Taranjeet ji

Thanks for your post. Your own expertise in the law was exactly what i was looking for last night.

• Like Like x 1