• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Patit/ਪਤਿਤ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Patit/ਪਤਿਤ

ABSTRACT

IMHO it is defined as fallen from Righteousness (ਧਰਮ) and action (ਕਰਮ)-ਡਿਗਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ or sinner- in moral or religious sense /ਪਾਪੀ.

Dharam/ਧਰਮ- Righteousness, piety;(1) ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਜਾਂ ਨੈਤਿਕ ਗੁਣ, ਭਲਾਈ, ਨੇਕੀ ਚੰਗੇ ਕਰਮ, ਪੁੰਨ ਕਰਮ (2) ਧਰਮੀ (3) ਮਜ੍ਹਬ, ਦੀਨ (4) ਨਿਯਮ, ਨਿਆਂ (5) ਕਰਮ (ਭਾਵ) (6) ਧਰਮ ਰਾਜ (7) ਵਰਨਾਸ਼੍ਰਮ ਦੇ ਨੀਯਤ ਕੀਤੇ ਫਰਜ਼, ਕਰਮ (8) ਅਕੀਦਾ, ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ਼ (9) ਸ਼ਾਸ਼ਤਰਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੀ ਦੇ ਮੰਨੇ ਗਏ ਚਾਰ ਪਦਾਰਥਾਂ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਇਕ; ਇਹ ਚਾਰ ਪਦਾਰਥ
Karam/ਕਰਮ- action deed.-ਕੰਮ, ਅਮਲ, ਕਰਨੀ, ਕਰਤੱਬ, ਕਰਤੱਵ, ਕਾਰਜ, ਕਿਰਿਆ, ਕਿਰਤ-ਕਮਾਈ, ਨਿੱਤ ਦੀ ਕਾਰ, ਚਾਲ ਚਲਨ, ਆਚਾਰ, ਆਚਰਨ, ਕਰਨ-ਜੋਗ ਕੰਮ, ਸੁਚੱਜੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ, ਗੁਣ।
Guru Arjan in Raag Kanrha and Kabir in Raag Dhanasari describe the modus operandi to become sinners/ ਪਤਿਤ by their actions and attachments by bondage to Maya and their liberation. Their names evidently describe their character;

ਸੈਸਾਰ ਗਾਰ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਸਾਗਰ ਪਤਿਤ ਮੋਹ ਮਾਨ ਅੰਧ ॥ ਬਿਕਲ ਮਾਇਆ ਸੰਗਿ ਧੰਧ ॥ ਕਰੁ ਗਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਪਿ ਕਾਢਹੁ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਰਾਇ ॥

Saisār gār bikār sāgar paṯiṯ moh mān anḏẖ. Bikal mā▫i▫ā sang ḏẖanḏẖ. Kar gahe parabẖ āp kādẖahu rākẖ leho gobinḏ rā▫e.

The world is a swamp of wickedness and corruption. The blind sinner has fallen into the ocean of emotional attachment and pride, bewildered by the entanglements of Maya. God It self has taken me by the hand and lifted me up and out of it and saved me.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Kanrha, AGGS, Page, 1306-7 & 8

ਅਜਾਮਲ ਗਜ ਗਨਿਕਾ ਪਤਿਤ ਕਰਮ ਕੀਨੇ ॥ ਤੇਊ ਉਤਰਿ ਪਾਰਿ ਪਰੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਲੀਨੇ ॥

Ajāmal gaj ganikā paṯiṯ karam kīne. Ŧe▫ū uṯar pār pare rām nām līne.

Ajaamal, the elephant, and the prostitute committed many sins, but still, they crossed over the world-ocean, by chanting the God's Name. -----Kabir, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 692-13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To become a sinner by cutting or trimming the hairs is no where mentioned in Sabd Guru but it is due to individual’s immoral actions and not by growing hairs but by following the path described there in. The following hymns are self explanatory;

ਪਤਿਤ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਅਸੰਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗ ॥ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਨਾਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਭਾਗ ॥

Paṯiṯ punīṯ asaʼnkẖ hohi har cẖarnī man lāg. Aṯẖsaṯẖ ṯirath nām parabẖ Nānak jis masṯak bẖāg.

Countless sinners are sanctified, attaching their minds to the hymns of Sabd Guru (Its Feet). The merits of the sixty-eight places of pilgrimage are found in God's Name, O Nanak, when such destiny is inscribed upon one's forehead. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 990-15

ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਨਾ ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾ ਪਗ ਚਕਟੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਤਿਤ ਪਵਿਤ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪਾਛੈ ਛੁਕਟੀ ॥

Jin ka▫o ḏa▫i▫āl ho▫ā merā su▫āmī ṯinā sāḏẖ janā pag cẖaktī. Nānak paṯiṯ paviṯ mil sangaṯ gur saṯgur pācẖẖai cẖẖuktī.

Those, unto whom my Creator & Master becomes Merciful, who long for the feet of the Holy (Humility). O Nanak, the sinners become pure, joining the Company of the Holy; following the Guru, the True Guru, they are emancipated. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Devgandhari, AGGS, Page, 528-10

ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਚਮਾਰੁ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਨਿਮਖ ਇਕ ਗਾਇ ॥ ਪਤਿਤ ਜਾਤਿ ਉਤਮੁ ਭਇਆ ਚਾਰਿ ਵਰਨ ਪਏ ਪਗਿ ਆਇ ॥

Raviḏās cẖamār usṯaṯ kare har kīraṯ nimakẖ ik gā▫e. Paṯiṯ jāṯ uṯam bẖa▫i▫ā cẖār varan pa▫e pag ā▫e.

Ravidas, the leather-worker, praised the God, and sang the Kirtan of Its Praises each and every instant. Although he was of low social status, he was exalted and elevated, and people of all four castes came and bowed at his feet. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 733-9

ਪਤਿਤ ਪਵਿਤ ਲਗਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਪੈਰੇ ਜੀਉ ॥

Paṯiṯ paviṯ lag gur ke paire jī▫o.

I was a sinner, and I have been sanctified, taking to the Guru's Feet (Following the teachings)-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 216-19

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਉਧਰੇ ਪਤਿਤ ਬਹੁ ਮੂਚ ॥

Nānak nām uḏẖre paṯiṯ baho mūcẖ.

O Nanak, the Naam has saved so many of the worst sinners. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 265-19

ਕਰਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਿਮਰੁ ਮਾਧੋ ਹੋਹਿ ਪਤਿਤ ਪੁਨੀਤ ॥

Kar sāḏẖsangaṯ simar māḏẖo hohi paṯiṯ punīṯ.

Join the Company of the Holy, and meditate in remembrance on Akal Purkh; even a sinner like your self will become pure. -----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 631-11

ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਨ ਭੈ ਹਰਨ ਹਰਿ ਅਨਾਥ ਕੇ ਨਾਥ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਸਦਾ ਬਸਤੁ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਥਿ ॥

Paṯiṯ uḏẖāran bẖai haran har anāth ke nāth. Kaho Nānak ṯih jānī▫ai saḏā basaṯ ṯum sāth.

Akal Purkh is the Saving Grace of sinners, the Destroyer of fear, the Master of the master less. Says Nanak, realize and know It, who is always with you. -----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Slokes #6, AGGS, Page, 1426

Conclusion;

A sinner/ਪਤਿਤ is redeemed through;

1. Naam
2. Study of AGGS with understanding and following the path described there in honestly and truthfully at every step of life.
3. In the company of holy.
4. Becoming a candidate for the blessing of Akal Purkh’s Grace through humbly surrendering to Its Will, subjugating lower instincts and development of virtues.

Virinder S. Grewal
Wiulliamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM