• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Oral Sermon/ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
ORAL SERMAN/ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ

Oral Serman/ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ – is defined- ਗੱਲਾਂ ਬਾਤਾਂ, ਕਹਿਣ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ, ਬੋਲਣ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ। ਕੇਵਲ ਮੁਖ ਕਰਕੇ ਬਿਆਨ. ਅਮਲ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਜ਼ੁਬਾਨੀ ਜਮਾ ਖ਼ਰਚ.-An empty statement is any statement that is purported to provide information, but in reality it provides no information at all in the relevant conversational context. In ordinary situations, tautologies or tautological statements are all empty. The truth of an analytic statement depends solely on its meaning and not on any other empirical fact. All tautologies are analytic truths, but not vice versa.

ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਚੀਨੈ ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਰੇ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਨੁ ॥

Sabḏ na cẖīnai kathnī baḏnī kare bikẖi▫ā māhi samān.

They do not contemplate the Shabad; engrossed in corruption, they utter only empty words.
Guru Amardas, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 39-3

A tautological sentence is true in virtue of the meaning of the logical words in the sentence. An analytic sentence is a sentence that is true in virtue of the meaning of the words in the sentence. If we want to communicate information clearly and precisely, then of course we should avoid empty statements. On the other hand, there might be occasions where we want to be evasive and non-committal. In such situations, empty statements might be very useful indeed, which is not the case in this writing.

Gurbani/Sabd/Word has been spiritually translated as Amrit/ Feet of Akal Purkh/ water for internal bath (ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ), to remove internal filth, which cannot be obtained by mere talk. It needs understanding (ਵਿਚਾਰ) and reflection in daily life by individual active action to progress in spirituality. There is no place for passiveness in Sikhism. There are hundreds of references in Sabd Guru on mere talk, understanding, and Grace of the God;
Mere Talk;

ਜਾਲਿ ਮੋਹੁ ਘਸਿ ਮਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਤਿ ਕਾਗਦੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ਭਾਉ ਕਲਮ ਕਰਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲੇਖਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪੁਛਿ ਲਿਖੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ਲਿਖੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਲਿਖੁ ਲਿਖੁ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥ਬਾਬਾ ਏਹੁ ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ਜਿਥੈ ਲੇਖਾ ਮੰਗੀਐ ਤਿਥੈ ਹੋਇ ਸਚਾ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥ ਜਿਥੈ ਮਿਲਹਿ ਵਡਿਆਈਆ ਸਦ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਸਦ ਚਾਉ ॥ਤਿਨ ਮੁਖਿ ਟਿਕੇ ਨਿਕਲਹਿ ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਗਲੀ ਵਾਉ ਦੁਆਉ ॥

Jāl moh gẖas mas kar maṯ kāgaḏ kar sār. Bẖā¬o kalam kar cẖiṯ lėkẖārī gur pucẖẖ likẖ bīcẖār. Likẖ nām sālāh likẖ likẖ anṯ na pārāvār.Bābā ėhu lėkẖā likẖ jāṇ. Jithai lėkẖā mangī¬ai ṯithai ho¬ė sacẖā nīsāṇ. Jithai mileh vaḏi¬ā¬ī¬ā saḏ kẖusī¬ā saḏ cẖā¬o. Ŧin mukẖ tikė niklahi jin man sacẖā nā¬o. Karam milai ṯā pā¬ī¬ai nāhī galī vā¬o ḏu¬ā¬o.

Burn emotional attachment, and grind it into ink. Transform your intelligence into the purest of paper. Make the love of the Akal Purkh your pen, and let your consciousness be the scribe. Then, seek the Guru's Instructions, and record these deliberations. Write the Praises of the Naam of Akal Purkh; write over and over again that It has no end or limitation. O Baba, write such an account, that when it is asked for, it will bring the Mark of Truth. There, where greatness, eternal peace and everlasting joy are bestowed, the faces of those whose minds are attuned to the True Name are anointed with the Mark of Grace. If one receives God's Grace, then such honors are received, and not by mere words. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 16-8

ਮਤੁ ਜਾਣ ਸਹਿ ਗਲੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਮਾਲ ਕੈ ਮਾਣੈ ਰੂਪ ਕੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਇਤੁ ਬਿਧੀ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ ਐਬ ਤਨਿ ਚਿਕੜੋ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੀਡਕੋ ਕਮਲ ਕੀ ਸਾਰ ਨਹੀ ਮੂਲਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਭਉਰੁ ਉਸਤਾਦੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਬੋਲੇ ਕਿਉ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਾ ਨਹ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥

Mat Jaan Seh Galee Paa-i-aa. Māl kai māṇai rūp kī sobẖā iṯ biḏẖī janam gavā▫i▫ā. Aib ṯan cẖikṛo ih man mīdko kamal kī sār nahī mūl pā▫ī. Bẖa▫ur usṯāḏ niṯ bẖākẖi▫ā bole ki▫o būjẖai jā nah bujẖā▫ī.

Do not think that your Husband Akal Purkh can be obtained by mere words. You are wasting this life in the pride of wealth and the splendor of beauty. The defect of the body which leads to sin is the mud puddle, and the mind is the frog, which does not appreciate the lotus flower at all. The bumble bee is the teacher who continually teaches the lesson. But how can one understand, unless one is made to understand? -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 24-2

ਗਲੀ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਈਐ ਛੁਟੈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਇ ॥ ਮਾਰਣ ਪਾਹਿ ਹਰਾਮ ਮਹਿ ਹੋਇ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਲੀ ਕੂੜੀਈ ਕੂੜੋ ਪਲੈ ਪਾਇ ॥

Galī bẖisaṯ na jā▫ī▫ai cẖẖutai sacẖ kamā▫e. Māraṇ pāhi harām mėh ho▫e halāl na jā▫e.Nanak Galee Koorhee-ee Koorho Palai Paa-ay.

By mere talk, people do not earn passage to Heaven. Salvation comes only from the practice of Truth. By adding spices to forbidden foods, they are not made acceptable.O Nanak, from false talk, only falsehood is obtained. -----Guru Nanak, Vaar Majh, AGGS, Page, 141-3

ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਣਾ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਏ ॥ਜੇ ਸਉ ਘਾਲੇ ਥਾਇ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥

Kahi Kahi Kahnaa Aakh Sunaa-ay, Jay Sa-o Ghaalay Thaa-ay Na Paa-ay.

By merely speaking, talking, shouting and preaching about the Akal Purkh, even hundreds of times, the mortal is not approved. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 364-11

ਕਰਿ ਪਟੰਬੁ ਗਲੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਵਸਿ ਸੰਸਾ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਜਾਵਸਿਤਾ ॥ ਏਕਸੁ ਚਰਣੀ ਜੇ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਹਿ ਲਬਿ ਲੋਭਿ ਕੀ ਧਾਵਸਿਤਾ ॥

Kar Patamb Galee Man Laavas Sansaa Mool Na Jaavsitaa. Ėkas cẖarṇī je cẖiṯ lāvėh lab lobẖ kī ḏẖāvsiṯā.

Practicing hypocrisy and attaching your mind to worldly objects, your doubt shall never depart. If you focus your consciousness on the Feet of the One Akal Purkh, what reason would you have to chase after greed? -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 155-19

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਗਲੀਈ ਢੂਢੀਐ ਕਥਨਾ ਕਰੜਾ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾ ਪਾਈਐ ਹੋਰ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥

Gi-aan Na Galee-ee Dhoodhee-ai Kathnaa Karrhaa Saar. Karam milai ṯā pā▫ī▫ai hor hikmaṯ hukam kẖu▫ār.

Spiritual wisdom cannot be found through mere words. To explain it is as hard as iron. When the Akal Purkh bestows Its Grace, then alone it is received; other tricks and orders are useless.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 465-1

ਗਲੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥

Galee Jog Na Ho-ee.

By mere words, Yoga is not attained. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Suhi, AGGS, Page, 730-12

ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਅਤੁਲੁ ਨ ਤੋਲੀਐ ਕਥਨਿ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥

Saahib Atul Na Tolee-ai Kathan Na Paa-i-aa Jaa-ay.

Our Akal Purkh and Master is Unweighable; It cannot be weighed, and cannot be found merely by talking. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 59-1

ਕਥਨੈ ਕਹਣਿ ਨ ਛੁਟੀਐ ਨਾ ਪੜਿ ਪੁਸਤਕ ਭਾਰ ॥

Kathnai Kahan Na Chhutee-ai Naa Parh Pustak Bhaar.

No one is saved by mere talk and speech, or by reading loads of books.-----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 59-4

ਗਲੀ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਈਐ ਛੁਟੈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਇ ॥

Galee Bhisat Na Jaa-eai Chutai Such Kamaey.

One does not get a passage to heaven by mere talking; it is achieved by practice of Truth (truthful life). -----Guru Nanak, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 141-2

ਤੁਧੁ ਬਾਝੁ ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਾਕਾ ਕਹਣਿ ਸੁਨਣਿ ਨ ਧੀਜਏ ॥

TuDh Baajh Ik Til Reh Na Saakaa Kahan Sunan Na Dheej-ay.

Without You, I cannot survive, even for an instant; by merely talking and listening about You, I am not satisfied. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 436-5

ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਗਲੀ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥

Bhukhi-aa Bhukh Na Utrai Galee Bhukh Na Jaa-ay.

The hunger of the hungry is not appeased; by mere words, hunger is not relieved.-----Guru Angad, Vaar Majh, AGGS, Page, 147-2

ਅਧ ਵਿਚਿ ਫਿਰੈ ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਵੇਚਾਰਾ ਗਲੀ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥

ADh Vich Firai Manmukh Vaychaaraa Galee Ki-o Sukh Paavai.

The wretched, self-willed wander around and are stuck mid-way; how can they find peace by mere words? -----Guru Amardas, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 305-13

ਕਹਣੈ ਕਥਨਿ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥

Kahnai Kathan Na Paa-i-aa Jaa-ay, Gur Parsaad Vasai Man Aa-ay.

By merely speaking and talking, Akal Purkh is not obtained. By Guru's Grace, It comes to abide in the mind. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 362-4

ਇਕਿ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਘਨੇਰੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਗਲਾ ਗਲੀ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

Ik Fireh Ghanayray Karahi Galaa Galee Kinai Na Paa-i-aa.

Some wander around, babbling on and on, but none obtain the Akal Purkh by babbling.-----Guru Amardas, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 919-6

ਕਹਿਐ ਕਥਿਐ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ ॥

Kahi-ai Kathi-ai Na Paa-ee-ai An-din Rahai Sadaa Gun Gaa-ay.

By merely talking and speaking, Akal Purkh is not found. Night and day, sing Its Glorious Praises continually. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Bihagrha, AGGS, Page, 551-12

ਗਗੈ ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਚਿਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਮੂੜੇ ਗਲੀ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

Gagai Gobid Chit Kar Moorhay Galee Kinai Na Paa-i-aa.

Gagga: Keep the Akal Purkh of the Universe in your mind, you fool; by mere words, no one has ever attained It. ----Guru Amardas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 435-12

ਗਲੀ ਗਰਬਹਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਗੋਵਹਿ ਗਿਆਨ ॥

Galee Garbeh Mukh Goveh Gi-aan.

With your mouth you speak wisdom, but you are destroyed by pride.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 374-3

ਗਲੀ ਸੈਲ ਉਠਾਵਤ ਚਾਹੈ ਓਇ ਊਹਾ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਧਰੇ ॥

Galee Sail Uthaavat Chaahai O-ay Oohaa Hee Hai Dharay.

People want to lift up the mountain with mere words, but it just stays there.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Todi, AGGS, Page, 714-9

ਕਹਨ ਕਹਾਵਨ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਕਰਲਾ ॥ਕਥਨ ਕਹਨ ਤੇ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋਈ ਵਿਰਲਾ ॥

Kahan Kahaavan Ih Keerat Karlaa, Kathan Kahan Tay Muktaa Gurmukh Ko-ee Virlaa.

People talk on and on about Akal Purkh; they consider this to be praise of God. But rare indeed is the Gurmukh, who is above this mere talk. -----Guru Arjan, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 51-15

ਕਹਨ ਕਹਾਵਨ ਨਹ ਪਤੀਅਈ ਹੈ ॥ਤਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਜਾ ਤੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਈ ਹੈ ॥

Kahan Kahaavan Nah Patee-a-ee Hai, Ta-o Man Maanai Jaa Tay Ha-umai Ja-ee Hai.

By mere talk, the mind is not appeased. The mind is only appeased, when egotism is conquered.-----Kabir, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 325-9 & 10

ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਹਨੁ ਕਹਾਵਨੁ ॥ਸਮਝਿ ਪਰੀ ਤਉ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਗਾਵਨੁ ॥ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਪੰਚ ਜੋ ਚੂਰੇ ॥ਤਿਨ ਤੇ ਨਾਹਿ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਦੂਰੇ ॥

Kathnī baḏnī kahan kahāvan. Samajẖ parī ṯa¬o bisri¬o gāvan. Kahaṯ Kabīr pancẖ jo cẖūrė. Ŧin ṯė nāhi param paḏ ḏūrė.

All preaching, ranting and raving, and arguing, is forgotten when one comes to understand. |Says Kabir, who conquer the five demons of the body passions, for them the state of supreme dignity is never far. -----Kabir, Raag Rasa, AGGS, Page, 478-12

ਗਲੀ ਸਾਦ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਮੁਹੁ ਖਾਲੀ॥ ਮੁਹੁ ਭਰਿਐ ਕਿਉਂ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਰਸ ਜੀਭ ਰਸਾਲੀ ॥

Galee Saad Na Aava-ee Jichar Moh Khaalee. Moh Bharia Keon Bolia Ras Jeebh Rasali.

So long as a tasty object enters not the mouth talking about taste cannot bring any joy. When holding the object the mouth is full of taste and the tongue full of delight, how could one speak?-----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar, 13, Pauri, 6-1

ਗਲੀ ਤਿ੍ਪਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਖੰਡ ਖੰਡ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਉ ਨ ਭੋਵੈ॥ ਮਖਨੁ ਖਾਇ ਨ ਨੀਰ ਵਿਲੋਵੈ॥

Galee Tripat Na Hova-ee Khand Khand Kar Saou Na Bhovai, Makhan Khaa-ey Na Neer Vilovai.

By mere talking, none gets satiated as by mere uttering word sugar one cannot have his mouth sweet. If one is to eat butter, one should not go on churning water; i.e. mere talks cannot produce the right results. -----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar, 17, Pauri, 17-6 & 7

Mere talking does not lead us any where till one does not do “Vichar, (ਵਿਚਾਰ) on the Sabd meaning (ਵਿਵੇਕ, ਅਸਲੀਅਤ ਜਾਣਨ ਦੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ, ਤਤ੍ਵ ਦਾ ਨਿਰਣਾ) is to understand the meaning and reflect on it in life. Majority of the Sikhs believe erroneously that just mechanical reading/reciting the Gurbani can lead to spiritual growth and salvation, which is untrue. It is the understanding and living a life according to the teachings truthfully is Vichar (ਵਿਚਾਰ). The following references from Sabd Guru are self explanatory;

ਪੜਣਾ ਗੁੜਣਾ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਭਿ ਪੜਿ ਥਕੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ਅੰਦਰੁ ਖੋਜੈ ਤਤੁ ਲਹੈ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥ਗੁਣ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ਧੰਨੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ॥ਵਿਣੁ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਸਿਝਈ ਵੇਖਹੁ ਕੋ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥ਭੇਖਧਾਰੀ ਤੀਰਥੀ ਭਵਿ ਥਕੇ ਨਾ ਏਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਏਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਜੀਵਤੁ ਮਰੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਹੈ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਇਸੁ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਲੁ ਇਉ ਉਤਰੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਜਲਾਇ ॥

Paṛ¬ṇā guṛ¬ṇā sansār kī kār hai anḏar ṯarisnā vikār. Ha¬umai vicẖ sabẖ paṛ thakė ḏūjai bẖā¬ė kẖu¬ār. So paṛi¬ā so pandiṯ bīnā gur sabaḏ karė vīcẖār. Anḏar kẖojai ṯaṯ lahai pā¬ė mokẖ ḏu¬ār. Guṇ niḏẖān har pā¬i¬ā sahj karė vīcẖār. Ḏẖan vāpārī Nānkā jis gurmukẖ nām aḏẖār. viṇ man mārė ko¬ė na sijẖ¬ī vėkẖhu ko liv lā¬ė. Bẖėkẖ¬ḏẖārī ṯīrthī bẖav thakė nā ėhu man māri¬ā jā¬ė. Gurmukẖ ėhu man jīvaṯ marai sacẖ rahai liv lā¬ė. Nānak is man kī mal i¬o uṯrai ha¬umai sabaḏ jalā¬ė.

Reading and studying are just worldly pursuits, if there is thirst and corruption within. Reading in egotism, all have grown weary; through the love of duality, they are ruined. He alone is educated, and he alone is a wise Pundit, who contemplates the Word of the Guru's Sabd. He searches within himself, and finds the true essence; he finds the Door of Salvation. He finds the Akal Purkh, the treasure of excellence, and peacefully contemplates on It. Blessed is the trader, O Nanak, who, as Gurmukh, takes the Name as his only Support. Without conquering his mind, no one can be successful. See this, and concentrate on it. The wandering holy men are tired of making pilgrimages to sacred shrines; they have not been able to conquer their minds. The Gurmukh has conquered his mind, and he remains lovingly absorbed in the True Lord. O Nanak, this is how the filth of the mind is removed; the Word of the Shabad burns away the ego.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥

Pauree:

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੰਤ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਵਹੁ ਇਕ ਕਿਨਕਾ ॥ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਬਨਾਵਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਕਾਪੜੁ ਪਹਿਰਹੁ ਖਿਮ ਕਾ ॥ਐਸਾ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਾਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਮ ਕਾ ॥ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਬਿਖ ਕਾਟੈ ਇਕ ਪਲਕਾ ॥ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਉਪਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਜਿਣਕਾ ॥

Har har sanṯ milhu mėrė bẖā¬ī har nām ḏariṛāvahu ik kinkā. Har har sīgār banāvahu har jan har kāpaṛ pahirahu kẖim kā. Aisā sīgār mėrė parabẖ bẖāvai har lāgai pi¬ārā parim kā. Har har nām bolhu ḏin rāṯī sabẖ kilbikẖ kātai ik palkā. Har har ḏa¬i¬āl hovai jis upar so gurmukẖ har jap jiṇkā.

O Saints of the Akal Purkh, O my Siblings of Destiny, please meet with me, and implant the Name of the One God within me. O humble servants of the Akal Purkh, adorn me with the decorations of the Master; let me wear the robes of It's forgiveness. Such decorations are pleasing to my God; such love is dear to the God. I chant the Name of the Akal Purkh, The Master, day and night; in an instant, all sins are eradicated. That Gurmukh, unto whom It becomes merciful, chants the It's Name, and wins the game of life. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Sorath Ki Vaar, AGGS, Page, 650-651

ਸਮਝੈ ਸੂਝੈ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਅੰਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਸਾਚੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਾਚੇ ਜਗੁ ਕਾਚਾ ॥

Samjẖai sūjẖai paṛ paṛ būjẖai anṯ niranṯar sācẖā. Gurmukẖ ḏėkẖai sācẖ samālė bin sācẖė jag kācẖā.

If one understands, realizes and comprehends what he reads and studies, in the end he shall realize that the True Akal Purkh dwells deep within his nucleus. The Gurmukh sees and contemplates the True Master; without the True God, the world is false.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Ramkali Dakhni, AGGS, Page, 930-4

ਵੇਦ ਕਹਹਿ ਵਖਿਆਣ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥ ਪੜਿਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਬੁਝਿਐ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥

vėḏ kaheh vakẖi¬āṇ anṯ na pāvṇā. Paṛi¬ai nāhī bẖėḏ bujẖi¬ai pāvṇā.

The Vedas speak and expound on the Akal Purkh, but they do not know Its limits. Not by studying, but through understanding, It's Mystery revealed. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 148-2

ਛੋਡਿਹੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ॥ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਦਝਹਿ ਸਾਤਿ ਨ ਆਈ ॥

Cẖẖodihu ninḏā ṯāṯ parā¬ī. Paṛ paṛ ḏajẖeh sāṯ na ā¬ī.

Abandon slander and envy of others. Reading and studying, they burn, and do not find tranquility. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 1026-1

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਵਿਦਿਆ ਵੀਚਾਰੈ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਮਾਨੁ ॥ ਆਪਾ ਮਧੇ ਆਪੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿਆ ਪਾਇਆ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ॥

Gur parsādī viḏi¬ā vīcẖārai paṛ paṛ pāvai mān. Āpā maḏẖė āp pargāsi¬ā pā¬i¬ā amriṯ nām.

By Guru's Grace, contemplate spiritual knowledge; read it and study it, and you shall be honored. Within the self, the self is revealed, when one is blessed with the Ambrosial Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1329-5

ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਭਰਾਂਤਿ ॥ ਸੋ ਬੂਝੈ ਹੋਵੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਦਾਤਿ ॥

Kathnī baḏnī rahai nibẖrāʼnṯ. So būjẖai hovai jis ḏāṯ.

Undoubtedly, words fail me. He alone understands who is blessed.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Malar, AGGS, Page, 1256-10

ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਭਾਰੁ ॥ ਲੇਖ ਅਸੰਖ ਅਲੇਖੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥

Kathnī baḏnī paṛ paṛ bẖār. Lėkẖ asaʼnkẖ alėkẖ apār.

Words, spoken and read again and again, are useless loads. There are innumerable writings, but the Infinite Akal Purkh remains unwritten. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 412-14

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬਾਦੁ ਵਖਾਣੈ ॥ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਹੋਦੀ ਵਸਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ॥

Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ bāḏ vakẖāṇai. Bẖīṯar hoḏī vasaṯ na jāṇai.

The Pundits, the religious scholars, read and read endlessly; they stir up arguments and controversies, but they do not know the secret deep within.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152-6

ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਕਮਾਣਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਪਹਿਲੋ ਦੇ ਜੜ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਜੰਮੈ ਤਾ ਉਪਰਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਛਾਂਉ ॥

So paṛi¬ā so pandiṯ bīnā jinĥī kamāṇā nā¬o. Pahilo ḏė jaṛ anḏar jammai ṯā upar hovai cẖẖāʼn¬o.

He alone is learned and wise, and he alone is a scholar, who practices the Name. First, the tree puts down its roots, and then it spreads out its shade above. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Malar, AGGS, Page, 1288-6

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੋਥੀ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਪਾਠਾ ॥ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਪੜੈ ਸੁਣਿ ਥਾਟਾ ॥ਬਿਨੁ ਰਸ ਰਾਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਬਹੁ ਨਾਟਾ ॥

Paṛ paṛ pothī simriṯ pāṯẖā. Bėḏ purāṇ paṛai suṇ thātā. Bin ras rāṯė man baho nātā.

You may read, recite and study the scriptures, the Simritees, and read Vedas and Puraanas until tired; but without being imbued with the Akal Purkh's essence, the mind wanders endlessly. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 226-3

ਪੜਿਆ ਬੂਝੈ ਸੋ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ ਜਿਸੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਕਾ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥

Paṛi¬ā būjẖai so parvāṇ. Jis sir ḏargeh kā nīsāṇ.

One who reads and understands is acceptable. Upon his forehead is the Insignia of the Court of the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 662-15

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੋ ਬੁਝੈ ਸੋ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਏ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝੈ ਸਚੁ ॥

Nānak hukmai jo bujẖai so fal pā¬ė sacẖ. Kathnī baḏnī karṯā firai hukam na būjẖai sacẖ.

O Nanak, one who realizes the Hukam of the God's Command, obtains the fruit of Truth. One, who merely mouths the words, does not understand the True Akal Purkh's Command. -----Guru Amardas, AGGS, Page, 950-13, 14, & 15

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਜੋਤਕੀ ਵਾਦ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਮਤਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਭਵੀ ਨ ਬੁਝਈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਲੋਭ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥

Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ joṯkī vāḏ karahi bīcẖār. Maṯ buḏẖ bẖavī na bujẖ¬ī anṯar lobẖ vikār.

After all their reading, the Pundits, the religious scholars, and the astrologers argue and debate. Their intellect and understanding are *******ed; they just don't understand. They are filled with greed and corruption. -----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 27-6

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪੜਹਿ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਭਰਮਾਵਹਿ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਸਭ ਸੁਧਿ ਗਵਾਈ ਕਰਿ ਅਵਗਣ ਪਛੋਤਾਵਣਿਆ ॥

Pandiṯ paṛeh sāḏ na pāvahi. Ḏūjai bẖā¬ė mā¬i¬ā man bẖarmāveh. Mā¬i¬ā mohi sabẖ suḏẖ gavā¬ī kar avgaṇ pacẖẖoṯāvaṇi¬ā.

The religious scholars read, but they do not taste the essence due to unfocussed mind in the love of duality and Maya. The love of Maya has displaced all their understanding; making mistakes, they live in regret. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 116-18

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜੈ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਈ ਭੇਖੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥

Pāṯẖ paṛai nā būjẖ¬ī bẖėkẖī bẖaram bẖulā¬ė. Gurmaṯī har saḏā pā¬i¬ā rasnā har ras samā¬ė. Mā¬i¬ā moh cẖukā¬i¬ā gurmaṯī sahj subẖā¬ė.

Akal Purkh cannot be understood by reading scriptures; the deceitful pretenders are deluded by doubt. It is always found through the Guru’s teachings, and the tongue is permeated with Its Sublime Essence. Emotional attachment to Maya is shed with intuitive ease, through the Guru's Teachings. -----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 66-17, 18, & 19

ਤ੍ਰਿਬਿਧਿ ਮਨਸਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਬਿਧਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੋਨੀ ਥਕੇ ਚਉਥੇ ਪਦ ਕੀ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥

Ŧaribaḏẖ mansā ṯaribaḏẖ mā¬i¬ā. Paṛ paṛ pandiṯ monī thakė cẖa¬uthė paḏ kī sār na pāvṇi¬ā.

The mind is bound by the three dispositions-the three modes of Maya. Reading and reciting, the Pundits, the religious scholars, and the silent sages have grown weary, but they have not found the supreme essence of the fourth state. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 117-3

ਗੋਵਿਦੁ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥

Goviḏ guṇī niḏẖān hai anṯ na pā¬i¬ā jā¬ė. Kathnī baḏnī na pā¬ī¬ai ha¬umai vicẖahu jā¬ė.

The Creator of the Universe is the Treasure of Excellence; Its limits cannot be found and It is not obtained by mouthing mere words, but by rooting out ego from within. -----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 32-19

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਫਿਰੈ ਦਿਵਾਨੁ ॥ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਚੀਨੈ ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਰੇ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਨੁ ॥

Bin saṯgur mukaṯ na pā¬ī¬ai manmukẖ firai ḏivān. Sabḏ na cẖīnai kathnī baḏnī karė bikẖi¬ā māhi samān.

Without the True Guru, the self-willed do not find liberation; they wander around like lunatics. They do not contemplate the Sabd; engrossed in corruption, they utter only empty words. -----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 39-2

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਥਾਕੇ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਨ ਆਈ ॥ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਜਾਲੇ ਸੁਧਿ ਨ ਕਾਈ ॥

Paṛ paṛ thākė sāʼnṯ na ā¬ī. Ŧarisnā jālė suḏẖ na kā¬ī.

People read and recite until they grow weary, but they do not find peace. Consumed by desire, they have no understanding at all. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 120-6

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਬੁਝਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਸਚੁ॥ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਬੁਝਈ ਅੰਧਾ ਕਚੁ ਨਿਕਚੁ ॥

Nānak hukam bujẖ parvāṇ ho¬ė ṯā fal pāvai sacẖ. Kathnī baḏnī karṯā firai hukmai mūl na bujẖ¬ī anḏẖā kacẖ nikacẖ.

O Nanak, by understanding Akal Purkh's Command, one becomes acceptable, and then obtains the fruit of Truth. Who does not understand It's Command is blind, the falsest of the false and wanders around babbling and speaking. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Gujri Ki Vaar, AGGS, Page, 509-8

ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਜੇ ਕਰੇ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਘਟਿ ਚਾਨਣਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੋਇ ॥

Kathnī baḏnī jė karė manmukẖ būjẖ na ho¬ė. Gurmaṯī gẖat cẖānṇā har nām pāvai so¬ė.

The self-willed babbles on and on, but he does not understand. One, whose heart is illumined, by Guru's Teachings, obtains the Name of the Akal Purkh.-----Guru Amardas, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 492-4

ਙੰਙਾ ਙਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਮੁਖ ਬਾਤਉ॥ਅਨਿਕ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਤਉ॥ਙਿਆਨੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਦਿ੍ੜ ਸੋਉ॥ਕਹਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਕਛੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਊ॥

Ńańā ńi¬ān nahī mukẖ bāṯa¬o. Anik jugaṯ sāsṯar kar bẖāṯa¬o. Ńi¬ānī so¬ė jā kai ḏariṛ so¬ū. Kahaṯ sunaṯ kacẖẖ jog na ho¬ū.

NGANGA: Spiritual wisdom is not obtained by mere words of mouth. It is not obtained through the various debates of the Shaastras and scriptures. They alone are spiritually wise, whose minds are firmly fixed on the Akal Purkh. Hearing and telling stories, no one attains Yoga. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 251-5

ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਨੀ ਕਹਨੁ ਕਹਾਵਨੁ ॥ ਸਮਝਿ ਪਰੀ ਤਉ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਗਾਵਨੁ ॥

Kathnī baḏnī kahan kahāvan. Samajẖ parī ṯa¬o bisri¬o gāvan.

All preaching, ranting and raving, and arguing, is forgotten when one comes to understand.-----Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 478-12

Conclusion:

The following hymns are the essence (ਤਤ) of the subject;

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੋ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਜੇਤਾ ਜਗਤੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਚੁਕਈ ਨਾਮਿ ਨ ਲਗੈ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥ ਇਕਿ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਤਜਿ ਵਿਕਾਰ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਕਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਮਰਿ ਮਿਲੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹੇਤਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥

Satgur No Sabh Ko Vaykhda Jayta Jagat Sansaar, Dithai Mukat Na Hova-ee Jichar Sabd Na Karay Veechaar, Ha-umai Mail Na Chuk-ee Naam Na Lagai Pi-aar, Ik Aapay Bakhas Milaa-i-an DubiDhaa Taj Vikaar, Nanak Ik Darsan Daykh Mar Milay Satgur Hayt Pi-aar.

All the living beings of the world behold the True Guru. One is not liberated by merely seeing Him, unless one contemplates the Word of His Sabd. The filth of ego is not removed, and he does not enshrine love for the Naam. The Akal Purkh forgives some, and unites them with It self; they forsake their duality and sinful ways. O Nanak, some behold the Blessed Vision of the True Guru's Darshan, with love and affection; conquering their ego, they meet with the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Amardas, Raag Vadhans, AGGS, Page, 594-11

ਸੇਵਕ ਸਿਖ ਪੂਜਣ ਸਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਸਭਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਊਤਮ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ਗਾਵਿਆ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਥਾਇ ਪਾਵੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀ ॥ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਵਜਲ ਤੀਰਥਿ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਿ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਊਤਮ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਥਾ ਜਿਨ ਜਨਹੁ ਜਾਨੀ ॥

Sayvak Sikh PoojaN Sabh Aaveh Sabh Gaaveh Har Har Ootam Baanee, Gaave-aa SuNe-aa Tin Ka Har Thaa-ey Paavai Jin Sat Gur Ki Aage-aa Sat Sat Kar Maanee, Bolhu Bhaa-ee Har Keerat Har Bhavjal Tirath, Har Dar Tin Kee Ootam Baat Hai Santahu Har Kathaa Jin Janhu Jaanee.

All the Sikhs and servants come to worship and adore You; they sing the sublime Bani of the Akal Purkh, The Master. Their singing and listening is approved by the Akal Purkh; they accept the Order of the True Guru as True, totally True. Chant the It's Praises, O Siblings of Destiny; the Akal Purkh is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage in the terrifying world-ocean. They alone are praised in Its Court, O Saints, who know and understand sermon. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 669-14 & 15

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston,MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM