• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

One God, So Many Religions

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I have no idea what his true agenda is. I would call it passive proselytising, to put it mildly.

Dear Tejwant ji,

I have already replied to your and Spn's request for my general understanding of Kabir's Shabad above. If you are referring specifically to the quotation from the Bible, I was going to reply to that specifically afterwards, although I pretty much agree already with what Ishna has said to you about it being merely a story and so I don't want to be repetitive. I think that it would be unfair to claim that I have avoided answering your questions. On the other thread I answered your question regarding why Dionysius described God as "it" in considerable depth, with a lot of effort put into the post. I could have instead chose to go out digging in the garden getting some fresh air but instead I decided to sit and reply too you.

You found my answer in your own words to be like "gumbo" and "contradictory" and you could not understand it. That is a perception of what I wrote, it does not mean I didn't reply too you. You asked me a second question and I replied to that too in great depth. Yes I quoted from other sources as part of the post but those sources helped my line of argument and also answered your question. You liked the post and never raised the issue again, so obviously you received a satisfactory answer. What else am I to infer from that?

The Bible contains various genres: oral history, moral teachings, poetry, religious songs, prophetic writings etc. Not everything has an explicit moral message intended by the authors. The Old Testament is not just a holy scripture but the history of a people, the history of the Jewish people as they saw their own history. The passage in question does not give any moral commentary on the lurid act which his daughters did to him. It is most likely simply a piece of oral history that the sacred authors believed to be something which actually happened to Lot. It is a (purportedly) historical story, it is not a moral teaching and if anything it is warning us against abusing others to achieve ulterior motives, and showing how far some people are willing to go to achieve their goals, even to do the most horrid acts. The Torah, of which the Book of Genesis is a part, condemns incest as one of the gravest evils, hence why the authors could only be disgusted by such an episode like we are today. The two girls in the story got their father Lot drunk and then essentially assaulted him. That is the context of the story in the preceding passage from which the quote is extracted. Nevertheless the story on its own betokens no need for such moral philosophising.

On the subject of proselytization, I can tell you outright that you will find in me no agenda because I have none. I am not an Evangelical, I don't seek to convert anyone to my worldview. If I did, then I would surely be quoting from the Bible itself rather than from sources without any doctrinal bias towards the Christian faith but rather which exhibit mystical teachings that are often against traditional understandings of Christian beliefs in the popular mindset. The Bible is the sacred scripture of the Catholic Church equivalent to the Sikh Guru Granth Sahib ji, not Catholic mystics. Mysticism is a category of its own. Many Catholics are not in the least mystically-minded. It is a phenomenon in various religions. None of my quotations have anything explicitly to do with Christianity that I can see, with the exception of a rare quote from the Catechism, so I would be interested in learning how I can be proselytising when my quotes have nothing to convince anybody of, except for a subjective individual Catholic's opinions on God, nature or reality received from his own prayers and contemplations. That is not proselytization of a kind I am familiar with.

When have I ever tried to actively promote a Christian specific teaching? What benefit would I reap from "proselytizing"? I don't believe that any of you are damned or need to believe in Jesus to receive salvation, so I am clearly not motivated by concern for your souls as a Mainline Protestant Christian might legitimately be. I have generally only ever quoted mystics. Mystics - individuals with individual experiences of God. Yes they are Catholic mystics because I know my own tradition best, however if I was as knowledgeable of Sufi Islam to the extent that I could find a quote to fit every need then I would have no qualms about quoting Rumi, Hafez, Saadi, Jami, Al-Ghazzali etc. rather than Eckhart, John of the Cross and Ruusbroec. If you check back my posts from last year you will even find me quoting sometimes from the Sufi writings I am more conversant with.

With kindest regards,

Vouthon

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Tejwant Ji

I think Vouthon has addressed the points raised nicely and I agree with his response so likewise I won't repeat his words.

I'm confident he has no other agenda but to share the treasures he's found along his travels which talk about experiences which can apply generally across most religions.

I did not say that. In fact, Sikhi according to me is based on objective reality because it did not stop in time as other religions did. The 1429 pages of the poetic Gurbani prove that.

In another 1000 years people will be wondering who Babar was. Babar is a character now immortalised because he's an historical figure written into Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

I would request you to give me concrete examples, in this case, from all 3 Abrahamic religions and Hinduism which Kabir ji is talking about for me to grasp any part of objective reality. I gave you the examples of the subjective truths from them which also include 82 virgins, Hell, Heaven, Multiple gods,Vengeful angry god/s, Condoning slavery,Caste system, Concubines and many more.

I don't have the time or the smarts to find these examples for you, sorry Ji. :(

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Is Kartar conscious? Maybe next week things will seem different to me. Tonight I do not think consciousness is a necessary condition because the doer of everything is also the creator of consciousness, and therefore beyond consciousness.

For the creator to have created consciousness..he would have had to be conscious of it?

for consciousness to exists, it requires something to be conscious of...maybe thats why there is a creation?
and even when there was no creation...god was conscious of himself...how so?

His Shabad, the Word, the vibration was how he was conscious of himself...

in the beginning was the word, the word was with god, the word was god.
This is why we experience Him by connecting with the same Shabad within ourselves...

SGGS 509
saahib maeraa sadhaa hai dhisai sabadh kamaae ||
My Master is eternal. He is seen by practicing the Word of the Shabad.

ouhu aouhaanee kadhae naahi naa aavai naa jaae ||
He never perishes; He does not come or go in reincarnation.

sadhaa sadhaa so saeveeai jo sabh mehi rehai samaae ||
So serve Him, forever and ever; He is contained in all.

God bless Ji.

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Sticking to the topic i still feel the creator is ONE for all
imagine if there are multiple gods
(initially i was thinking of taking example of wedding of muslim and hindu,though somewhat unrealistic in the scenario of today so i have to change my example)
a sikh boy weds a hindu girl(somewhat realistic )
now according to hindu scriptures creator may be defined differently
according to sikhi again it might be defined differently
if the couples are sticking to their respective methods of worshiping and attaining Creator ,going by the logic that they have different gods wont now the respective gods be somehow not be pleased
now after few days baby is born in their homes
now to whom GOD does the baby belongs to,to whom CREATOR does the baby belongs to?
wont the ONE creator sustain the baby ?
or there is agreement between hindu god and sikh god to sustain the baby together? or depending upon which parent worships his her respective Creator more?(hanuman or be whatever whom he/she worships)

i dont know the whole idea of different creator for different religions is really non sense to me
till today i believe paths are different but the destination is the same as the source was when we were born
and i really doubt a true RELIGIOUS person will ever say my path is the best and your path is not ,my path is the only true and your path is not and blha blha
irrespective of whatever religion we adhere to does he stops sustaining us?
NEVER
there are many people who dont even know their parents when they are born forget about knowing the religion
which god sustains them?
does he stops sustaining an atheist too?irrespective of if he believes in him or not?
no,never
till today i think this,maybe tomorrow ill see things differently but to me the whole idea of my god your god,that god ,this god is absurd
maybe i am thinking from different prospective

Last edited by a moderator:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
does he stops sustaining an atheist too?irrespective of if he believes in him or not?
no,never
till today i think this,maybe tomorrow ill see things differently but to me the whole idea of my god your god,that god ,this god is absurd
maybe i am thinking from different prospective

your way of thinking is the only way of thinking...i can't for the life of me think of any other way

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
There is only ONE creator.... period. And we are all trying to explain that same ONE creator thgough our own experiences and understanding. It's only through our separateness, the ideas implanted by the various societies and ethnicities in which we were brought up, that we have such different ideas about who or what that ONE creator is. But there is and only ever will be ONE creator.

Aug 28, 2010
There is only ONE creator.... period. And we are all trying to explain that same ONE creator thgough our own experiences and understanding. It's only through our separateness, the ideas implanted by the various societies and ethnicities in which we were brought up, that we have such different ideas about who or what that ONE creator is. But there is and only ever will be ONE creator.

It is not so important to know about the ONE Creator from within Gurbanee.
Are we required to explain the same ONE Creator thru our own experiences and understanding. I think No.
We must know from our GuRu about the ONE Creator...There will be no confusion in Knowing and understanding
But are we really going to accept What our GuRu is saying about the ONE Creator?
These are my personal views only.
Prakash.S.Bagga

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
It is not so important to know about the ONE Creator from within Gurbanee.
Are we required to explain the same ONE Creator thru our own experiences and understanding. I think No.
We must know from our GuRu about the ONE Creator...There will be no confusion in Knowing and understanding
But are we really going to accept What our GuRu is saying about the ONE Creator?
These are my personal views only.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Satnaam Prakash Ji,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above? Are you saying we should just read and read and try to intellectually understand in some way about God? Are you saying then that God cannot be experienced in any way at all? even though our gurur Ji says we can?

Should we just read someones experience of travelling australia, or should we endevour to experience for ourselves...?

Guru Ji describes how we 'ourselves' can experience god...how we can turn our lives around so that we are able to receive His grace...

I am certain that we can experience God...but i am also certain that we won't be able to explain God in any way....but then why would we want to explain...?

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
how one can describe HIM with our limited wisdom experiences ?

"fer ki agey rakhiye jis dise darbar, muhon ki Bolan boliye jit sun dharey pyar"
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?
amrti vele sacha naao vadeaye vichaar
one must ponder about his greatness and utter his name at the early hours before dawn

when one experience his grace we are short of words to explain his grace and the connection with him is itself bliss
that experience and connection cant be described
words are short to describe love ,no matter how much words we use it will always be short
amrit vella is perfect time to connect with deep inside and then ponder about his vasteness and greatness majesty ,the time when mind is awake to his grace,when mind is not full of other things ,when mind is free of thoughts
you might experience it with different way ,i might experience it differently
that doesn't means my experience or other experience should be comparred
what works for me not necessary means work for others
as a matter of fact comparison to anyone's experience is waste

forgive me if something is wrong in my interpretation:peacesign:

Aug 28, 2010
ChazSingh Ji,
If I am not wrong the basic question of this thread is about the explanation of One Creator not about experiencing of it.
I understand that one is required to experience the One Creator which is vividly explained by GuRu ji in Gurbanee.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Satnaam Prakash Ji,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above? Are you saying we should just read and read and try to intellectually understand in some way about God? Are you saying then that God cannot be experienced in any way at all? even though our gurur Ji says we can?

Should we just read someones experience of travelling australia, or should we endevour to experience for ourselves...?

Guru Ji describes how we 'ourselves' can experience god...how we can turn our lives around so that we are able to receive His grace...

I am certain that we can experience God...but i am also certain that we won't be able to explain God in any way....but then why would we want to explain...?

I think that is a very valid point.
I have only very recently been more aware and 'conscious' of it :peacesign:
I feel that gurus message was not just about learning,understanding and contemplating, but about acquiring a desire, strive and yearning to experience/meet the Lord as well.
I think most of us at times including myself, have a lack of dedication and yearning. But instead we want to know just by learning, understanding, interpreting and contemplating Gurbani.
I don't feel that this is the complete picture and that a huge hole still remains unfilled.
Like you mention, we want to study and apply it all from the tour guide without ever going to the actual holiday destination!
Thus, no real learned experience is encountered and the yearning and dedication to spend time at the resort is not really there, since we think we know it all from the tour guide.

In the same way, I think gurbani is meant to inspire us to 'acquire' this yearning. We have to have the urge and thirst to be with, experience and meet our Husband Lord.
If you were in true love in young adulthood (or your first love), then you will remember that All you wanted day and night was to be with your lover. Whatever you did, wherever you walked, whatever you ate, whenever you slept...-You wanted to be doing this ALL with that Loved One.Nothing else mattered and the world seemed empty without the presence of your lover. Wherever you looked and saw beauty or something pleasing you could not help seeing your Lover. You longed and yearned to spend every living moment and breath with this soul.

This is exactly the yearning that I'm talking about for husband/lover God.
I have only recently felt and realised this during meditation and it has inspired me to continue and strive for even more.
I'm sure the Gurus expected us all to have our own personal relationships with our true love and the stonger the strive and yearn is, the more solid the bond.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I think that is a very valid point.
I have only very recently been more aware and 'conscious' of it :peacesign:
I feel that gurus message was not just about learning,understanding and contemplating, but about acquiring a desire, strive and yearning to experience/meet the Lord as well.
I think most of us at times including myself, have a lack of dedication and yearning. But instead we want to know just by learning, understanding, interpreting and contemplating Gurbani.
I don't feel that this is the complete picture and that a huge hole still remains unfilled.
Like you mention, we want to study and apply it all from the tour guide without ever going to the actual holiday destination!
Thus, no real learned experience is encountered and the yearning and dedication to spend time at the resort is not really there, since we think we know it all from the tour guide.

In the same way, I think gurbani is meant to inspire us to 'acquire' this yearning. We have to have the urge and thirst to be with, experience and meet our Husband Lord.
If you were in true love in young adulthood (or your first love), then you will remember that All you wanted day and night was to be with your lover. Whatever you did, wherever you walked, whatever you ate, whenever you slept...-You wanted to be doing this ALL with that Loved One.Nothing else mattered and the world seemed empty without the presence of your lover. Wherever you looked and saw beauty or something pleasing you could not help seeing your Lover. You longed and yearned to spend every living moment and breath with this soul.

This is exactly the yearning that I'm talking about for husband/lover God.
I have only recently felt and realised this during meditation and it has inspired me to continue and strive for even more.
I'm sure the Gurus expected us all to have our own personal relationships with our true love and the stonger the strive and yearn is, the more solid the bond.

This is just it...
we can study a country like australia all our lives..imagine it...watch documentaries...but nothing compares to being there, breathing the fresh air...talking to the local people...seeing the wildlife.

I went to australia last year...it was amazing...i cannot describe it...the feelings, the emotions...the views, how they made me feel...

nothing i tell you about australia is going to compare with you visiting it yourself and living the experience

and i'm pretty sure your experience would also be very different and unique and personal to you...
all we can do is inspire people to make the effort and go there...

keeping to the topic...this is why people shouldn;t argue about which vision or version of their god is correct...they'll all eventually have their very personal and unique experience of god within themselves.

God bless

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This is just it...
we can study a country like australia all our lives..imagine it...watch documentaries...but nothing compares to being there, breathing the fresh air...talking to the local people...seeing the wildlife.

I went to australia last year...it was amazing...i cannot describe it...the feelings, the emotions...the views, how they made me feel...

nothing i tell you about australia is going to compare with you visiting it yourself and living the experience

and i'm pretty sure your experience would also be very different and unique and personal to you...
all we can do is inspire people to make the effort and go there...

keeping to the topic...this is why people shouldn;t argue about which vision or version of their god is correct...they'll all eventually have their very personal and unique experience of god within themselves.

God bless

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

You have mentioned this thing about Australia in many threads if I am not mistaken but it is totally a wrong analogy I am afraid. People who have visited the same places can share their wonderful experiences with you, albeit in a bit different manner but all have the same reference points.The reason being is the tangible points do not change although one can have a different perspective about them but not much.

This is not the case in Gurbani where each experience for each person is unique because it is intangible. It can only be felt/experienced and also it may be a life changing one for many, but it belongs to the individual. No one can share that part no matter how much we twist ourselves into a pretzel.

The only thing one can share with others is through the deeds learnt through this intangible Sikh journey of the individual because they are tangible ones and the same.

So, let's not try to mix apples and oranges just to prove a point that can not be proved.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
This is not the case in Gurbani where each experience for each person is unique because it is intangible. It can only be felt/experienced and also it may be a life changing one for many, but it belongs to the individual. No one can share that part no matter how much we twist ourselves into a pretzel.

The only thing one can share with others is through the deeds learnt through this intangible Sikh journey of the individual because they are tangible ones and the same.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

You've made me realise some importance with the bolded quote above.
To realise and learn something every day makes me better than I was yesterday and thanks to some wise words from the likes of yourself, I hope to be an even better person tomorrow than today.

I believe the bolded comment holds quite strong for gurbani compared to the analogy of a travel destination.
I think the main point that Chazji makes is about learning and understanding some destination from a book, which is not the same as actually experiencing the place for real.
The magnitude and extent of impact that Gurbani can have for each of us varies much more compared to some vacation experience. That is simply because it's magnitude and strength is untouchable or intangible as you mention.

However, we can't just learn, understand and digest gurbani. We have to keep consuming, digesting as well as apply and live it. Therefore, we must continue to forever experiencing it, and it is never repetitive or reccuring.
Although the Lord is not a character or trait as such but is the nirgun and sargun ''Ik Onkaar'', I feel that we should still envisage a yearn and wanting as if to meet him. (this is just my personal approach).
This could give you a need to serve humanity and do good in the world. A need where you just can't get enough and you keep getting thirstier.
It may also be the longing to remain as gursikh inwardly and outwardly at all times.

I feel this may be of importance since I know there are many gursikhs who have the '''I've done my bit'' attitude. This is simply where they feel that x-amount of seva or donation, or representing sikhs on weekend at gurdwara or other sangat contribution....etc... amounts to what they should do, or what time factor they owe to doing some good.
This is almost an attitude where you self measure your self service.

As a sikh, I think we learn just how many dangerous boundaries we can so easily step on. To acknowledge and steer from them is itself a lifelong task, but our Guru is there to Help and Guide.
A no good loser like me has to make the Effort to do this and I like to think of it as my earning for Guruji or 'kamayee'. But the main thing is that I don't expect any payback or gifts for this kamayee but only wish that I may forever continue.

BTW Chazji, we are all different in perception of how green the grass is on the other side.
Me and my wife travelled about 4 months a year for many years.We would earn for 2 straight months,then fly off for 1 month vaction, then repeat and do it all over again. We travelled around the whole world, looking for the perfect place to settle. In all honesty, I was rather disappointed with oz and many other places. We finally settled for the North American west coast on the pacific and finally got down to either South California, Seattle or Vancouver.
Here we are in Vancouver, some 5 thousand miles away from the grey skies of UK!!:)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh ji thanks for great contributions in this thread. I am humbled by your deeper love and living as a Sikh.
However, we can't just learn, understand and digest gurbani. We have to keep consuming, digesting as well as apply and live it. Therefore, we must continue to forever experiencing it, and it is never repetitive or recurring.
Whereas I don't want to suggest any change to your ways, I am taking note if it is of any further joy to any one and yourself.

I simply visualize the writer (the specific Guru ji or others) sitting under a tree wtih few people around them including oneself. Then I visualize the Guru ji doing a discourse to the enchanted and bewildered as the Guru ji see such reflections on the faces of the congregation. Then I see Guru ji coming around to take us to the rhythms of the poetry and the essence of a a given Shabad or composition.

I don't hesitate to ask Guru ji questions in my mind. I hear Guru ji talk back in the loving-ness of a teacher, the firmness and crystal persona of brilliance like a diamond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Voila !!!!!! Eureka !!!!!!!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say to myself thank you Guru ji and how wonderful as I mumble some of the thoughts in my mind for the message so received from Guru ji.

I believe poetry demands us to be in the vision seance of the poet which in this case being our Guru ji.
Sorry to be little off topic.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: spnadmin ji feel free to excise or delete my total post if it is out of order for the thread.

Specific to this thread some of my thoughts:

In terms of the thread I believe all religions start with wisdom. The wisdom continues to accumulate till a point of crystallization is reached whereby someone determines it is important to protect what has developed.

This is where initial organization of religion happens. Just past this organization the concepts of unencumbered growth of the follower base starts to poke its head. This starts to require resources and then the gathering of monies, gifts, etc., starts to come into play.

The disconnect from the essence of wisdom starts to encroach upon the original intent. Managers get appointed, committees get formed, regulations start to be established, and so on till the baby no longer can be associated much with the origins of the wisdom.

Sadness and decline thereafter.

For sure at initial wisdom level much synergistic between various streams of wisdom. Unfortunately later stages little common stays and differences accentuate. Hence even with the recognition of one God/creator at the start of some wisdom streams, little commonality can now be found other than lip service or humanistic loose talk.

Can all the religions turn back the clock please and reset to their spirituality hour for world peace!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8JE0G6tlP2A?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ambarsaria ji

Your remarks are not off-topic at all in my opinion. I apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread to read it. You describe the connection between science and religion in a very unique way, and it rings a bell in a way I have not heard before, but it is clear.

An example: This is probably what happened with Hinduism. The earliest vedas do not seem like "religious" texts but scientific explanations for the world as the ancestors knew it. Scholars can even strip back layers of later translation and explanation for the later translations. They can document how verses were added to the original to make the more religious points. When the earliest verses stand alone, they are about science of the time. All of course is speculation because thousands of years have passed. Yet your theory is there, science settled and religion took its ideas and made doctrines from them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Also to your point, Ambarsaria ji

A while back, respected forum member jasbirkaleka ji posted this article, Thread Starter for

"The Carvakas and Atheistic Materialism in Ancient India, found at this permalink to the actual post:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gener...tic-materialism-ancient-india.html#post128954

A short excerpt
The Carvakas

It comes as a surprise to many that in ancient "spiritual" India, atheistic materialism was a major force to reckon with. Predating even the Buddhists, the Carvaka is one of the earliest materialistic schools of Indian philosophy, named after one Carvaka, a great teacher of the school. Its other name, Lokayata, variously meant “the views of the common people,” “the system which has its base in the common, profane world,” “the art of sophistry,” and also “the philosophy that denies that there is any world other than this one.” The founder of this school was probably Brhaspati. and .....

The Carvakas mocked religious ceremonies, saying that they were invented by the Brahmans (the priestly caste) to ensure their own livelihood. When the Brahmans defended animal sacrifices by claiming that the sacrificed beast goes straight to Swarga Loka (a temporary heaven), the members of the Carvaka asked why the Brahmans did not kill their aged parents to hasten their arrival in Swarga Loka.

I have been meaning to post this for days and never got around to it. Hope all find it good reading. It is long and therefore it is rich.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
In terms of the thread I believe all religions start with wisdom. The wisdom continues to accumulate till a point of crystallization is reached whereby someone determines it is important to protect what has developed.

This is where initial organization of religion happens. Just past this organization the concepts of unencumbered growth of the follower base starts to poke its head. This starts to require resources and then the gathering of monies, gifts, etc., starts to come into play.

The disconnect from the essence of wisdom starts to encroach upon the original intent. Managers get appointed, committees get formed, regulations start to be established, and so on till the baby no longer can be associated much with the origins of the wisdom.

Sadness and decline thereafter.

For sure at initial wisdom level much synergistic between various streams of wisdom. Unfortunately later stages little common stays and differences accentuate. Hence even with the recognition of one God/creator at the start of some wisdom streams, little commonality can now be found other than lip service or humanistic loose talk.

Can all the religions turn back the clock please and reset to their spirituality hour for world peace!

Dear Ambarsaria ji :mundahug:

I just wanted to tell you that I really truly appreciate the insight you provide above. It really makes sense to me and in fact I share much the same belief with regards to the birth, growth, consolidation and decline of world religions in relation to the original essence of wisdom, or informed perception into the reality of things, that stands at its core. I think that you have voiced in most clear fashion something that I have tried to say on this and other forums but perhaps not expressed so well: that religions are different, they have developed in different cultural, philosophical and linguistic backgrounds; they have different structures, customs, doctrinal disagreements in areas and their unique evolutionary paths have created a rich diversity of sacred traditions or "wisdom streams" (as you put it). This diversity, this distinctness should be embraced. We should not expect people of other faiths, or even within our own faith, to see things exactly how we see it.

The cuckoo doesn't mock the song of the dove because it sings differently; wood birds singing in the trees each have their own distinct notes yet they sing in harmony. My own opinion is that those who seek to create one, uniform religious body, such as Christian evangelists or Islamic missionaries, on a global scale are misguided since it is diversity in creation, cultures and even in religious beliefs that is the language of God who is the unity of opposites, the oneness that embraces plurality.

While we must and should uphold the unique values of our own faiths, can we not also peel back some layers to find wisdom, insight into human nature, creation and life in general that is shared among religious traditions and forms a kind of common deposit of sacred knowledge that we can agree on? This does not demean the distinctiveness of our paths, it does not call for a false religious ecumenism that syncretizes religions and destroys their integrity, nor does it mean that we should not take pride in the uniqueness of our own faith and our differences, it simply means that our differences - while recognised - need not be causes for strife.

All it does is recognise some sort of unity at the heart of the very real religious plurality, that can contribute to peace in the world of faith and allow us to see each other as brothers and sisters working for a common cause, even though we go down different roads to get there.

Now it is my conviction that the wisdom that is at the heart of all religion, of whatever stripe - even some atheistic, humanistic or secular systems of belief - has its most glorious manifestation in that phenomenon common to most world faiths mysticism. Now this word, because of its appropriation by the western New Age movement, has developed certain connotations that do not fit at all with its traditional meaning.

Traditionally and correctly defined, mysticism essentially has to do with the preparation for, experience of and effect of a transformative consciousness of the presence of God, a higher power, law, nature or simply an unconditioned reality however defined, that leads to a change of heart in a person and to a life that has true meaning or enlightenment in other words.

Scholars have detected such people in all religions, people who are more dedicated than most and more spiritually perceptive as to the wisdom in their own religious traditions. Mystical movements generally arise at a time of trouble, confusion, chaos or decline in the life of a religion and serve to re-focus and re-orient the faith back to its origins while also looking forward.

To this end I have one question:

What do you define this wisdom "as"? What is "it"? You mention above that at the level of this basic, pure wisdom there is to use your own words, "much synergistic between various streams of wisdom".

Is wisdom one? Or are there many wisdoms just like there are many different perceptions of reality?

Although I have promised SPNAdmin to quote less henceforth and provide more reflective, analytical thought in relation to my postings, I do think that with your post above, and given the topic of the thread (not to mention it being in the interfaith section of the forum) that one big quote is of relevance here, one I should add that I have quoted before on SPN - this time just to compare with your thinking above.

It is from a man called Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa, whom you will likely recall from our past discussions Ambarsaria ji.

Cusa witnessed in his lifetime, in the middle of the fifteenth century, one of the lowest points in interreligious relations. After years of crusades between the Christian and Islamic worlds, Constantinople - the holy city for Eastern Christians - was sacked and conquered by the Seljuk Turks. The Byzantine Empire fell apart and was replaced by the Ottoman Empire.

This turn of events was devastating for Christians to watch. Some called for another crusade against the invading Muslims. However Cardinal Cusa, who at the time was the most powerful cleric in the church after the pope himself and a great Renaissance intellectual, called for mutual understanding and peace between Muslims and Christians.

He wrote a book called De Pace Fidei (The Peace of Faith) which while showing the limits of his age, also exhibits progressive tendencies and a certain openness to other religions.

He pictures a fictional council in heaven where all the world religions meet, debate and make peace with one another, accepting a unity in diversity rather than creating some false, new syncretistic blend of religions (much like the New Age is doing in our own time).

I have bolded key parts:

"...With many groanings I beseeched the Creator of all, because of His kindness, to restrain the persecution that was raging more fiercely than usual on account of the difference of faith between the religions...We praise our God, whose mercy rules over all His works and who alone has the power to bring it about, that such a great diversity of religions would be brought together in one harmonious peace...How should we bring the manifold of religions to one unity, since our people have defended their religion with blood, and they hardly will be willing to accept a new, unified religion?

Answer: You should not introduce a new religion. But, you should yourselves comprehend, and then show to the peoples, that the true religion is presupposed before all other religions. The unity is before the separation occurs...You will find that not another faith but the one and the same faith is presupposed everywhere...Moses had described a path to God, but this path was neither taken up by everyone nor was it understood by everyone. Jesus illuminated and perfected this path; nevertheless, many even now remain unbelievers. Muhammad tried to make the same path easier, so that it might be accepted by all, even idolaters. These are the most famous of the said paths to God, although many others were presented by the wise and the prophets...Even though you acknowledge diverse religions, you all presuppose in all of this diversity the one, which you call wisdom...There can only be one wisdom. For if it were possible that there be several wisdoms, then these would have to be from one. Namely, unity is prior to all plurality. None of us doubts that it is one wisdom which we all love and because of which we are called philosophers. Through participation in it there are many wise men, although this wisdom remains in itself simple and undivided. We who have made this profession of philosophy love the sweetness of wisdom by no other way than a foretaste in wonder at the things which are subject to sense. For who would not die for the sake of reaching such wisdom from which all beauty, all sweetness of life and everything desirable emanate? What a power of wisdom shines forth in the creation of man, in his limbs, in their order, in the life infused, in the harmony of the organs, in movement, and especially in the rational spirit, which is capable of wonderful arts and is, so to speak, a sign of wisdom in which the eternal wisdom shines forth above all things in a close image, as truth in a close likeness!......Therefore, do not hide Yourself any longer, O Lord. Be propitious, and manifest Your face; and all peoples will be saved, who no longer will be able to desert the Source of life and its sweetness, once having foretasted even a little thereof. For no one departs from You except because He is ignorant of You. It is you O God who is being sought in various religions in various ways and named with various names. For you remain as you are to all incomprehensible and inexpressible. When you will graciously grant it then sword jealous hatred and evil will cease and all will come to know that there is but one religion in the variety of religious faiths...For infinite wisdom encompasses everything. See how you, the philosophers of the various religious traditions, agree in the religion of one God whom you all presuppose, in that which as lovers of wisdom you profess. Therefore, all human beings profess with you that there is one absolute wisdom whom they presuppose, and this is the one God. Therefore, for all who are vigorous in intellect there is one religion and worship, which is presupposed in all the diversity of rites..."

- Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa (1401 –1464), De Pace Fidei, Catholic mystic

Nicholas of Cusa saw the peace of religions as being tied to recognition that there is wisdom at the heart of each faith tradition and that this wisdom is one - and I would add more apparent to mystics of those faiths than say the those with a more formal, ceremonial, going-through-the-motions kind of attachment to their faith.

Read:

"...[According to Cusa] God is responsible for the plurality of religions. From plurality stems diversity. Add to that the fact that the majority of human beings can afford neither leisure nor time to make use of their free will and to cognize themselves. Consequently – between all their toil and labor – they simply lack opportunity and potential to seek after "the hidden God". Kings and prophets, such continues the narrative, were put in charge of the instruction of simple people. That again backfired because people took the doctrines much too literally, a factor that reveals the true human condition (humana terrena conditio), namely, "that longstanding custom, which is regarded as having passed over into nature, is defended as the truth. In this way there arise great quarrels when each community prefers its own faith to another...The fanaticism, as just described, is some form of competition or, to use René Girard's terminology: mimesis, a mimetic circle. "For the sake of You, the only one they worship in whatever they adore, exists all this competition (aemulatio)." The Good, Truth, Life, and generally Being, those are the real objects of religious strife; for seemingly different interests converge in the object of aspiration. Only conscious return and awareness of the true object will be able to break the circle of violence..."

"...Cardinal Cusa claimed that... a variety of prophets [went] into the world in order to reveal [God] to humanity. To achieve this goal these prophets created a variety of faiths, the customs of which have, over time come to be regarded as immutable truths founded not by prophets, but by God. Since the human person has freewill, and because over time opinions, languages and interpretations undergo change....errors... inevitably develop. In this manner Cusa gives such figures as Buddha and Muhammad a similar status to that of prophets of the God of Israel whose teachings over time have been distorted...Because of this Cusa does not think that religious diversity need be a source of conflict. For Cusa since the diversity of faiths are merely different ways of articulating the same underlying truth, there is no real basis for mutual attacks over these differences."

- Ethical implications of unity and the divine in Nicholas of Cusa By David John De Leonardis

"Cusa seeks to promote the idea that diverse religious customs (the accidents of religion, if you will) conceal a true or 'ideal' religion. This 'una religio' (one religion) is the unattainable truth about God - of which all existing belief systems are but shadowy reflections. The faithful of all nations and creeds should persevere in their particular expressions of piety in the firm belief that the one true 'religion' is the basis of them all"
- 'Religion' and the religions in the English Enlightenment By Peter Harrison

Now I am sure that there are differences between Cusa and yourself above Ambarsaria ji, however I sense some kind of underlying leaning in a similar direction. Maybe I am wrong.

I just think it is an interesting comparison, between Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa in the 1400s and Ambarsaria ji on SPN in 2013 :mundabhangra:

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: