• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion None Like Manmohan (Editorial)

jstiwana

SPNer
Jun 5, 2010
This Above all
None like Manmohan

The Tribune - Magazine section - Saturday Extra

KHUSHWANT SINGH

Prime Minister’s first press conference in his second tenure of office has had a mixed reception from the media. The general trend of criticism is that the pace of progress — which marked his first tenure — has slackened, and the government has not been able to spell out its course of action as clearly as it should have done. There is some substance in these charges. So I make bold to draw up my list of priorities, which need immediate solution.

On top of my list are high prices of foodstuffs, which a majority of the people can’t afford to pay. These include essential items like rice, wheat, daals, onions, potatoes and cooking oils. Their prices must and can be brought down as soon as possible. No one should go hungry.

Without any exception, all ministers of Manmohan Singh’s Cabinet hold him in great respect, and abide by his judgment

On the same level is the need for the government to reassert its authority on territories where Maoists rule the roost. It has to be a joint effort of the provincial governments and the Centre to open dialogue with Maoist leaders, and concede what is justifiable, on the condition they give up their illegally acquired arms and resorting to violence. The onus for doing so rests more on the state governments than the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Centre.

There is also a pervading sense of insecurity all over the country. Even in the Capital women feel uneasy going out alone after daylight. There are far too many vagabonds without work, who go about snatching purses, handbags and making unseemly overtures to young girls. Common citizens must cooperate with the police in driving these unsocial elements away from streets and bazaars.

Finally, we have to do something to speed up our judicial processes. Inordinate delays in bringing criminals to justice have spread a feeling of despair, and belief in taking the law into one’s own hands because people in charge of maintaining law and order take far too long to do so.

Once agreed on the list of priorities, ask yourselves who is the best person to fulfil them? Go over the names of all who you think can replace Manmohan Singh. There are quite a few who sound cleverer than him; but is there any one who can match his wisdom and sagacity? There are some with more political clout in the regions they come from. But do they have as much experience of economic affairs and international relations, and can they be credited with turning around the economy of the country as he did during his tenures as Finance Minister, and later as Prime Minister? Do not misjudge his gentleness and humility as signs of weakness. He has been, and still can be, a leader to be reckoned with. Without any exception, all ministers of his Cabinet hold him in great respect, and abide by his judgment. There are no dissenting voices amongst the men and women who rule us. They have delivered the goods. As Manmohan Singh himself admitted with characteristic humility: "We have done well. We could have done better."

Shankar Sen again

For me Shankar Sen of Kolkata is a discovery. I had earlier written favourably of his translations of the poet Shamsur Rahman. I now have his collection of poems, Down Memory Lane. The following lines echo my sentiments and make Shankar Sen’s words read better than mine:This Above all: None like Manmohan

KHUSHWANT SINGH

The Prime Minister’s first press conference in his second tenure of office has had a mixed reception from the media. The general trend of criticism is that the pace of progress — which marked his first tenure — has slackened, and the government has not been able to spell out its course of action as clearly as it should have done. There is some substance in these charges. So I make bold to draw up my list of priorities, which need immediate solution.

On top of my list are high prices of foodstuffs, which a majority of the people can’t afford to pay. These include essential items like rice, wheat, daals, onions, potatoes and cooking oils. Their prices must and can be brought down as soon as possible. No one should go hungry.
Without any exception, all ministers of Manmohan Singh’s Cabinet hold him in great respect, and abide by his judgment

Without any exception, all ministers of Manmohan Singh’s Cabinet hold him in great respect, and abide by his judgment​
On the same level is the need for the government to reassert its authority on territories where Maoists rule the roost. It has to be a joint effort of the provincial governments and the Centre to open dialogue with Maoist leaders, and concede what is justifiable, on the condition they give up their illegally acquired arms and resorting to violence. The onus for doing so rests more on the state governments than the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Centre.

There is also a pervading sense of insecurity all over the country. Even in the Capital women feel uneasy going out alone after daylight. There are far too many vagabonds without work, who go about snatching purses, handbags and making unseemly overtures to young girls. Common citizens must cooperate with the police in driving these unsocial elements away from streets and bazaars.

Finally, we have to do something to speed up our judicial processes. Inordinate delays in bringing criminals to justice have spread a feeling of despair, and belief in taking the law into one’s own hands because people in charge of maintaining law and order take far too long to do so.

Once agreed on the list of priorities, ask yourselves who is the best person to fulfil them? Go over the names of all who you think can replace Manmohan Singh. There are quite a few who sound cleverer than him; but is there any one who can match his wisdom and sagacity? There are some with more political clout in the regions they come from. But do they have as much experience of economic affairs and international relations, and can they be credited with turning around the economy of the country as he did during his tenures as Finance Minister, and later as Prime Minister? Do not misjudge his gentleness and humility as signs of weakness. He has been, and still can be, a leader to be reckoned with. Without any exception, all ministers of his Cabinet hold him in great respect, and abide by his judgment. There are no dissenting voices amongst the men and women who rule us. They have delivered the goods. As Manmohan Singh himself admitted with characteristic humility: "We have done well. We could have done better."

Shankar Sen again

For me Shankar Sen of Kolkata is a discovery. I had earlier written favourably of his translations of the poet Shamsur Rahman. I now have his collection of poems, Down Memory Lane. The following lines echo my sentiments and make Shankar Sen’s words read better than mine:

For a few moments;
The sun hides behind
the clouds;
And the light grows hazy;
My heart sinks;
I ask myself, is this the end?
I have had my fill of the many pleasures this world had to offer;
I have suffered pain, shed tears;
Been betrayed by friends and befriended betrayers;
As the inevitable climax
draws near;
One last thought looms up;
On the few unwritten pages still left in the diary;
Let me not dwindle inch
by inch;
Like a tapering candle ending without a flicker;
Let mine be the exit of a meteor;
Swift, abrupt, one last burst
of fire;
Into the realms of unknown;
Would it please Thee;
To grant this ultimate wish?​
Manmohan, not Man Mohana

Santa was angry with the dyer (rangrez), who dyed his turbans, because these did not match with the colour he ordered. "I wanted the blue worn by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. But he coloured much darker," he fumed, and said: "I wanted to look like Manmohan Singh, not like Man Mohana (Lord Krishna)."

Last wish

On GT Road, near Ambala, a van was lying sandwiched between two trucks. The only visible portion of the van displayed Press.

(Contributed by Madan Gupta Spatu, Chandigarh)I] [
For a few moments;

The sun hides behind
the clouds;

And the light grows hazy;
My heart sinks;
I ask myself, is this the end?
I have had my fill of the many pleasures this world had to offer;
I have suffered pain, shed tears;
Been betrayed by friends and befriended betrayers;
As the inevitable climax
draws near;
One last thought looms up;
On the few unwritten pages still left in the diary;
Let me not dwindle inch
by inch;
Like a tapering candle ending without a flicker;
Let mine be the exit of a meteor;
Swift, abrupt, one last burst
of fire;
Into the realms of unknown;
Would it please Thee;
To grant this ultimate wish?
Manmohan, not Man Mohana

Santa was angry with the dyer (rangrez), who dyed his turbans, because these did not match with the colour he ordered. "I wanted the blue worn by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. But he coloured much darker," he fumed, and said: "I wanted to look like Manmohan Singh, not like Man Mohana (Lord Krishna)."

On GT Road, near Ambala, a van was lying sandwiched between two trucks. The only visible portion of the van displayed Press.

(Contributed by Madan Gupta Spatu, Chandigarh)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Manmohan made a promise of a SGGS University in Amritsar..in 2004 400th Anniversary of SGGS (Pothi Sahib Parkash at Darbar sahib)....NOTHING SO FAR...it was an empty promise by a SIKH who has no powers to actually allocate any funds..until the real hand behind the PM chair says so....
The Khalsa Raaj Sathapana Diwas (called Sirhind Fateh Diwas) in conjunction with Baba Banda Singh's 300th Anniversary..Manmohan gave it a "miss" ( kept a state secret until the last minute to avoid any untoward comments as with the Amrtisar promise)..and thus escaped any "promises"...
Actually a PM..has no real "religion"..He cant afford to be Sikh/Mulsim/Hindu/Atheist whatever..as he has to wear all HATS/TURBANS/HELMETS as and when required due to politics...
I think he has been a good PM for India and thats what counts...sikhs shouldnt have placed too much hopes on his blue turban..its just a dress code he's used to wearing..before he became PM and after he became PM and will continue to wear after he leaves the PM chair...cheerleader

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

These so called great journalists can go to any extent to please the leaders for which they
are working for.It is open truth that hardly any ministers hold him in high respect ,the day Sonia Gandhi will say that Manmohan is no longer a prime ministerial choice ,within a second these all ministers will throw manmohan on road.The prsent finance minister of India at one time was boss of Manmohan as at that time he was RBI governer and now Manmohan is prime minister and he is at same position.Majority of this governments top level ministers have solid bases in their states on the other and Manmohan in his entire life
never won a panchayat election.This is his only qualification for being a PM of India.Sonia gandhi don't trust other ministers because she is afraid that if they became more powerful
they could split the congress Manmohan on the other hand can never do this

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM