• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

No To All-India Gurdwara Bill

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
No to All-India Gurdwara Bill

Are the Sikhs ready to manage their own religious affairs or should they always depend on the “monkey in the middle”?

Few would argue against the proposition that Sikh affairs should be managed uniformly in accordance with Sikh tenets and through a unified management structure.

Therefore, as requested by the Sikhs themselves, a draft of the All-India Gurdwara Bill was circulated by the Indian Government for comments to “Bihar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and West Bengal”. This was confirmed by Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Maken. Speaking to the Parliament on 14 July, 2009. However, the government has no intention of introducing the Bill due to “lack of “unanimity on the issue and no consensus among the stake holders (the various states)”. That simply means that, as would have been expected by the government, no agreement amongst the Sikh bodies. Reminds me of the Panjabi saying, “Dubbi taa(n) je sah na aaya” i.e. “She drowned because she could not breath” – said when the obvious happens! The minister was replying to a question by Sukhdev Singh Libra, Congress MP from Fatehgarh Sahib. There is no reason why the government should (be expected to) promote Sikh organisation or unity in religious matters.

The reaction in the Sikh diaspora has been mixed. Let us be clear at the outset. To quote Jagpal Singh Tiwana on Gurmat Learnin Zone (GLZ), “As far as I know all amendments in the Gurdwara Act have been sought by Sikh bodies themselves and GOI [Government of India] acted according to their wishes. There is an understanding between GOI and Sikhs that a new act or amendment will be made if initiated or demanded by the Sikhs.” True, but that does not answer the question why the Sikhs should depend on the GOI for urgently needed reforms in the Management of Sikh affairs.

According to a report in The Tribune of 15 July, “Sikhs have been demanding that there should be one Act to govern the affairs of the Sikhs across the country. At present, several Gurdwaras are running independent of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC). The body is like a mini-Parliament for the Sikhs. It has its own budget. The SGPC has been up in arms against mushrooming of Gurdwaras against its edict and against various principles and tenets laid down in Sikhism.” That makes eminent sense.

However, it makes no sense why the government of a secular independent country should be involved in the affairs of a world religion. Writes Dr I J Singh, “Can you find another religion where its fundamentals are debated by legislative bodies consisting of non-believers of that faith or decided by a judiciary of non-believers?......Now we need to create our own ecclesiastical system of justice and self-governance for our institutions. What our attitude indicates is that we have neither the means nor the sense to resolve our own issues and that we need a monkey in the middle. How unfortunate.” And Prof Nirmal Singh of USA supports, “We have to get out of our dependency on using legislative measures and courts to manage our internal Sikh issues.”

It seems, the Sikh intelligentsia are looking at two sides of the same coin. One group are looking at ground realities whilst the other are justifiably frustrated that of all world religions only Sikhs have to rely on legislation in India, and courts in the diaspora countries, to sort out Sikh religious disputes and even to interpret Sikh tenets. It is time that “the monkey in the middle” is given the sack!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: “No” to All-India Gurdwara Bill

Its NOT in Sikh interests NOW to do this. The "Roots" are ROTTEN..the TREE itself is eaten by Termites. Its folly to expect this rotten tree can take more weight on its branches. The "TREE"... is SGPC/TAKHATS/Gurdwaras... in Punjab. AN All India Gurdawara Act will only spread the H1N1 Penumonia from SGPC to everywhere else in india resulting in large scale deaths ( Of SIKH MARYADA ) Its best that the rotten and sick SGPC be isolated/QUARANTEENED and CURED of its disease of vote buying/vote rigging/liquor barons/baba derawadee maryada elements etc...before it is allowed to dominate all India Gurdwaras which may now be better run and better managed by Local Sikhs.

Mar 20, 2009
GurFateh Ji

As far as I come to know about Gurudwara Bill, It will be a commitee of Sikhs from all over the india for the management of gurudwaras. Persons from every state will be included in it. and they will be responsible for controlling & management of sikh places... If this is true then I think it should be applicable b'cos the SGPC is now the only puppet of BADAL's, they have not taken any stand for sikhism at any issue,instead they r spoiling sikhism repo, their strength & the faith at every point .. however that issue is of SIRSA or another derawad or any other sikhism issue. Even now they have started supporting RSS(for proof..u can check A.S.MAKKAR's speech in this week publushed in Spokesman"), they r loosing their faith.they r only to ruin the money... they r not concerned to Panth.... If any other person or leader supports sikhism then they stood against them with all of their laws....their all principles,laws & limits only for sikhs.... B'cos if BILL is approved then AKALI's(BADALs moreover) will b cut off from the SGPC & we can hope for some better....
AND I WANNA A REQUEST U ALL
in coming SGPC elections pls support anti-akali parties to make badal's away from SGPC & to make our religion to grow.....not to ruined

If I am wrong in knowledge of BILL then pls give me the details...
First of all we should know what is the Bill actually........

GurFateh

surajcap

SPNer
Dec 6, 2008
Yes must be as Hindus, Buddhists & Jains too suffering similiarly for govt control in India while Christianist and pro-Islamic Congress Govt has given communal autonomy to Christian and Muslims Institutions.

They are using the resources earned from Indian Dharmic Institutions and funding Haj subsidies and Christian reservations!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Its NOT in Sikh interests NOW to do this. The "Roots" are ROTTEN..the TREE itself is eaten by Termites. Its folly to expect this rotten tree can take more weight on its branches. *by Gyani ji a few posts above). I agree with this.

A uniform Civil Code is the ideal goal/objective -- but the problem came up because of the residue of historical sentiments that have to be worked out of the system. The reason Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism and Hinduism were lumped together to begin with was because of "uniformity" mindsets that were politically motivated to keep Christians and Muslims on the sidelines and the so-called sanatan populations in a block. The motivation was purely political by the ruling elites of the time and it back-fired. So it is really important to think it through the second time around.

of course -- how to get ruling elites to think on behalf of the non-elites is the big question :whisling:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: