• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nitnem

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Hi dear all!
As a rather new and unknowing devotee I have some humble questions.
I purchased a nitnem and sukhmani for me. I know that the siri guru granth sahib is handled and treated like a living guru. What about a book of banis like nitnem or sukhmani. Is there anything in particular I have to be carefull about using, taking it with me and having it at home? I heard that you should keep them wraped in clean cloth? Anything more?

Please let me know!
Thank you and blessings to you!

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
SveaOO Ji,

I have my gutkas fit into a sewn pouch for safe keeping but this practice came about in the last ten years ago. Earlier we didn't have them wrapped at all. They were just kept in drawers or with other books on the shelf.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
svea00 ji

There are two kinds of taking care of Bani in the Gutkas. 1.Wrapping in good cloth, bowing before reading it and after finishing it. Some just get stuck there.
2. Grasp every Vaak to walk on Sikhi, check on if Guru is obeyed or disobeyed, that practice will put Gutka in your heart. Then # 1 care will become very natural.

DONNA

SPNer
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi dear all!
As a rather new and unknowing devotee I have some humble questions.
I purchased a nitnem and sukhmani for me. I know that the siri guru granth sahib is handled and treated like a living guru. What about a book of banis like nitnem or sukhmani. Is there anything in particular I have to be carefull about using, taking it with me and having it at home? I heard that you should keep them wraped in clean cloth? Anything more?

Please let me know!
Thank you and blessings to you!

Sat Sri Akal,

I purchased a nitnem book a short while ago and I wondered the same thing. At the moment I wrap it in a cloth and store it up on high-well away from the floor. I also wash my hands before I touch it and cover my head when I read it. I do not know if there are any other things I should be doing, perhaps someone could advise me.

Many thanks.

Donna.

sunsingh

SPNer
Jun 4, 2008
I would say you've already covered it all in this thread. Only I would add not wearing any footwear (including socks) is an important way to show respect as well.
Just pulll a blanket over your feet if cold.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM