• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Need Of True Guru

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
bhenji, i don't think anyone here is trying to insult you.

i think there are a couple of people here who take delight in making me squirm with discomfort, hence the confusion about my questions. but please don't take any of it as being directed at you.

i only meant to encourage vichaar. i'm sorry for any undesired side effects.

Bhen I am not a bhenji, I am a man.

My purpose is to discourage the force on others to answer a question in a specific way. That must be one's own preference, their choice. That's all. Not everybody is same: waheguru didn't make all the five fingers alike. Everybody's face is different. Everybody's mental capacity and the capacity to express their intelligence and understanding is different.

If a few people will start forcing all the others to live in a specific way because that's their way, Can this be peacefull.

Please try to consider others LIMITATIONS, that's all I have to say Bhen Ji.

There is no confusion whatsoever.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Jasleen Kaur Bhen,

Aad Ji has started the following with a purpose to encourage the vichaar on the original topic, I also made my 'equal to nothing' contribution, please provide your valuable contribution.

AmbarDhara ji, all in the thread. Glad we are all trying to be good companions to one another. Good friends. So let's go back to our vichaar with friendship in the sangat. Let me start things off, and others can reply.

Guruji is saying in Siri Raag, that we never know when we will draw our last breath. Love that joins us together comes from His Grace. But this is possible only when we are united with Him. Like birds who peck at the edges of a pond one day and are gone the next, so the play that we are in is very short. What endures is His Love. In remembrance of His immaculate name, by allowing ourselves to be pierced by his Word, we realize that there is nothing more that we need to do. And that we have discovered what is truly important.

ਸਚਾ ਨੇਹੁ ਨ ਤੁਟਈ ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਸੋਇ ॥
sachaa naehu n thuttee jae sathigur bhaettai soe ||
True love shall not be broken, if the True Guru is met.

ਗਿਆਨ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸੋਝੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
giaan padhaarathh paaeeai thribhavan sojhee hoe ||
Obtaining the wealth of spiritual wisdom, the understanding of the three worlds is acquired.

ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਜੇ ਗੁਣ ਕਾ ਗਾਹਕੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੭॥
niramal naam n veesarai jae gun kaa gaahak hoe ||7||
So become a customer of merit, and do not forget the Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||7||

ਖੇਲਿ ਗਏ ਸੇ ਪੰਖਣੂੰ ਜੋ ਚੁਗਦੇ ਸਰ ਤਲਿ ॥
khael geae sae pankhanoon jo chugadhae sar thal ||
Those birds which peck at the shore of the pool have played and have departed.

ਘੜੀ ਕਿ ਮੁਹਤਿ ਕਿ ਚਲਣਾ ਖੇਲਣੁ ਅਜੁ ਕਿ ਕਲਿ ॥
gharree k muhath k chalanaa khaelan aj k kal ||
In a moment, in an instant, we too must depart. Our play is only for today or tomorrow.

ਜਿਸੁ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਲਹਿ ਸੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਚਾ ਪਿੜੁ ਮਲਿ ॥੮॥
jis thoon maelehi so milai jaae sachaa pirr mal ||8||
But those whom You unite, Lord, are united with You; they obtain a seat in the Arena of Truth. ||8||

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨ ਊਪਜੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
bin gur preeth n oopajai houmai mail n jaae ||
Without the Guru, love does not well up, and the filth of egotism does not depart.

ਸੋਹੰ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣੀਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੇਦਿ ਪਤੀਆਇ ॥
sohan aap pashhaaneeai sabadh bhaedh patheeaae ||
One who recognizes within himself that, ""He is me"", and who is pierced through by the Shabad, is satisfied.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣੀਐ ਅਵਰ ਕਿ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਇ ॥੯॥
guramukh aap pashhaaneeai avar k karae karaae ||9||
When one becomes Gurmukh and realizes his own self, what more is there left to do or have done? ||9||

ਮਿਲਿਆ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਮੇਲੀਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲੇ ਪਤੀਆਇ ॥
miliaa kaa kiaa maeleeai sabadh milae patheeaae ||
Why speak of union to those who are already united with the Lord? Receiving the Shabad, they are satisfied.

Sri Raag
Guru Naanak Dev
Ang 60

Sardara123 said:
Without the true Guru, we can't come to know the Truth. True Guru, through His teachings show us the right path. He clears all our doubts.

Guru Ji explains in the following Shabad

Shabad Gurbani:

isrIrwgu mhlw 1 ]
Brmy Bwih n ivJvY jy BvY idsMqr dysu ]
AMqir mYlu n auqrY iDRgu jIvxu iDRgu vysu ]
horu ikqY Bgiq n hoveI ibnu siqgur ky aupdys ]1]
mn ry gurmuiK Agin invwir ]
gur kw kihAw min vsY haumY iqRsnw mwir ]1] rhwau ]
mnu mwxku inrmolu hY rwm nwim piq pwie ]
imil sqsMgiq hir pweIAY gurmuiK hir ilv lwie ]
Awpu gieAw suKu pwieAw imil sllY sll smwie ]2]
ijin hir hir nwmu n cyiqE su Aauguix AwvY jwie ]
ijsu sqguru purKu n ByitE su Baujil pcY pcwie ]
iehu mwxku jIau inrmolu hY ieau kaufI bdlY jwie ]3]
ijMnw sqguru ris imlY sy pUry purK sujwx ]
gur imil Baujlu lµGIAY drgh piq prvwxu ]
nwnk qy muK aujly Duin aupjY sbdu nIswxu ]4]22]

English Translation:

Siree Raag, First Mehl:
The fire of doubt is not extinguished, even by wandering through foreign lands and countries.
If inner filth is not removed, one's life is cursed, and one's clothes are cursed.
There is no other way to perform devotional worship, except through the Teachings of the True Guru. ||1||
O mind, become Gurmukh, and extinguish the fire within.
Let the Words of the Guru abide within your mind; let egotism and desires die. ||1||Pause||
The jewel of the mind is priceless; through the Name of the Lord, honor is obtained.
Join the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, and find the Lord. The Gurmukh embraces love for the Lord.
Give up your selfishness, and you shall find peace; like water mingling with water, you shall merge in absorption. ||2||
Those who have not contemplated the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, are unworthy; they come and go in reincarnation.
One who has not met with the True Guru, the Primal Being, is bothered and bewildered in the terrifying world-ocean.
This jewel of the soul is priceless, and yet it is being squandered like this, in exchange for a mere shell. ||3||
Those who joyfully meet with the True Guru are perfectly fulfilled and wise.
Meeting with the Guru, they cross over the terrifying world-ocean. In the Court of the Lord, they are honored and approved.
O Nanak, their faces are radiant; the Music of the Shabad, the Word of God, wells up within them. ||4||22||

source:SikhiToTheMax

Punjabi Translation of the Shabad:

pdArQ:- BrmY—BOx nwl [ Bwih—A`g [ ivJvY—bu`JdI [ dysu idsMqr—dysu dys AMqr—hor hor dys [ AMqir—AMdrlI [ iDRgu—iPtkwr-jog [ vysu—ByK, iqAwg vwlw ilbws [ horu ikqY—iksy hor QW [1[
gurmuiK—gurU dy snmuK ho ky [ invwir—dUr kr [ kihAw—AwiKAw hoieAw bcn [ min—mn ivc [ haumY—haumYN, mYN v`fw bx jwvW [1[rhwau[
mwxku—moqI [ nwim—nwm ivc (juiVAW) [ piq—ie`zq [ imil—iml ky [ Awpu—Awpw-Bwv, suAwrQ [ sll—pwxI [2[
ijin—ijs (mnu`K) ny [ su—auh (mnu`K) [ Aauguix—AOgux ivc (itikAw rih ky) [ AwvY jwie—jMmdw mrdw hY [ ijsu—ijs (mnu`K) nUµ [ ByitE—imilAw [ Baujil—Baujl ivc, sMswr-smuMdr ivc [ pcY pcwie—in`q ^uAwr huMdw rihMdw hY [3[
ris—pRym nwl [ sujwx—isAwxy [ sy—auh bMdy [ gur imil—gurU nUµ iml ky [ qy—auh (bhu-vcn) [ Duin—Awvwz, gUMj, lhr [ nIswxu—DONsw [4[
ArQ:- hy mn! gurU dI srn pY ky (iqRSnw dI) A`g dUr kr skIdI hY [ jdoN gurU dw d`isAw hoieAw aupdyS mn ivc itk jwey, qW mYN v`fw ho jwvW mYN v`fw ho jwvW—ieh lwlc mukw leIdw hY [1[rhwau[
(gurU dI srn C`f ky) jy mnu`K (sMinAws-ByK Dwr ky) dys dys ivc BONdw iPry, (QW QW) BOx nwl (iqRSnw dI) A`g bu`J nhIN skdI, AMdroN (ivkwrW dI) mYl nhIN lihMdI, Ajyhw jIvn iPtkwr-jog hI rihMdw hY, Ajyhw ByK iPtkwr hI KWdw hY [ (ieh g`l p`k jwx ik) siqgurU dI is`iKAw gRihx krn qoN ibnw hor iksy QW BI prmwqmw dI BgqI nhIN ho skdI (qy BgqI qoN ibnw iqRSnw nhIN mu`kdI) [1[
prmwqmw dy nwm ivc juV ky ieh mn vf-mu`lw moqI bx jWdw hY, (hr QW) ie`zq pWdw hY [ (pr) prmwqmw dw nwm swD sMgiq ivc iml ky hI pRwpq huMdw hY, gurU dI srn ipAW hI prmwqmw (dy crnW) ivc suriq juVdI hY [ (pRBU-crnW ivc suriq itikAW mnu`K dy AMdroN) Awpw-Bwv dUr ho jWdw hY, Awqmk Anµd imldw hY (prmwqmw nwl mnu`K ieauN iek-imk ho jWdw hY) ijvyN pwxI nwl pwxI iml ky iek-rUp ho jWdw hY [2[
ijs mnu`K ny prmwqmw dw nwm nhIN ismirAw, auh ivkwrI jIvn ivc rih ky jMmdw mrdw hY [ ijs mnu`K nUµ siqgurU nhIN imilAw auh sMswr-smuMdr (dy ivkwrW) ivc hI ^uAwr huMdw rihMdw hY [ (pRBU dI AMs) ieh ijMd vf-mu`lw moqI hY, (pr) ies qrHW (ivkwrW ivc Kicq ho ky) kaufI dy v`ty zwieAw ho jWdw hY [3[
ijnHW mnu`KW nUµ pRym dy kwrn siqgurU imldw hY, auh pUry (BWfy) hn, auh isAwxy hn (ikauNik) gurU nUµ iml ky hI sMswr-smuMdr qoN pwr lµG skIdw hY, pRBU dI hzUrI ivc ie`zq imldI hY, kbUl hovIdw hY [ hy nwnk! auh bMdy au~jl-mu`K (sur^rU) hn, ijnHW dy AMdr gurU dw Sbd-vwjw v`jdw hY (Bwv, gurU dw Sbd Awpxw pUrw pRBwv pweI r`Kdw hY), (ismrn dI) lhr au`~TI rihMdI hY [4[22[

Source: http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0022.html

Jan 6, 2007
UK

Sacā nėhu na ut­eaee jė sagur bėtai so­ė.

uteaee – tott aa jani – ghat jani - to diminish – to lessen – to reduce – to shorten

bėtai – comes from the word bheta – means offering – to present –that is bestowed upon

so­ė – HE Himself

True love does not diminish, if the HE Himself bestows the union with a True Guru.

The true Guru is only met/ordained by His Blessings(Kripa). Once the Link with the True Guru is bestowed, the love/bond between them does not diminish. It becomes stronger and stronger.

Obtaining the wealth of spiritual wisdom, the understanding of the three worlds is acquired.

One obtains the wealth of spiritual wisdom and the awareness of the three worlds is acquired.

So become a customer of merit, and do not forget the Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||7||

The Imaculate Naam is not forgotten, if one is a cutomer of merit.

Those birds have played and departed that pecked at the pond.
i.e. people that were playing their part (in this Dharamshalla) have played and departed.

Aad ji,

Can you enlighten us about What is this Spiritual Wisdom ? that is being mentioned here.

Kind Regards
Ekmusafir_Ajnabi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sardara123,

You inspired me to go to gurbani.org to find something that speaks to finding unity and union. I found this by T Singh in the vichaar section.

Grace is none other than the perfect freedom from Maya and ego-mind. Hence the nature of Grace is redeeming, enlightening and liberating from the birth and death cycle. But when we act egocentrically (reactionary Karma), the flow of Divine Grace become shielded. As a result, even though Grace is always there, but we are unable to experience It fully. Just as an inverted pitcher can not be filled with liquid, similarly, a spiritually unfit heart or mind can not receive or be filled with God's Grace. In other words, if we sit inside our dinghies without unfurling the sails, then we cannot expect to go to the other side. Similarly, although Divine Grace always flows everywhere like the breeze, if our efforts and consciousness are not linked to It, we cannot experience It. Without following the Divine guidance and Truth of the scriptures, our extrovert mind becomes divided (duality or "Doojaa Bhaav") between instinctive and intellectual forces, making it very difficult to become poised or still enough to experience the Grace within.

How to become poised, still enough, to feel Grace within us? I don 't know. It is still "out there", until the time when I realize that it already exists within. So I look to the Shabd Guru for a clue.

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ik oankar sathigur prasadh ||
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਹਮ ਭੀਖਕ ਭੇਖਾਰੀ ਤੇਰੇ ਤੂ ਨਿਜ ਪਤਿ ਹੈ ਦਾਤਾ ॥
ham bheekhak bhaekharee thaerae thoo nij path hai dhatha ||
I am just a poor beggar of Yours; You are Your Own Lord Master, You are the Great Giver.

ਹੋਹੁ ਦੈਆਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਮੰਗਤ ਜਨ ਕੰਉ ਸਦਾ ਰਹਉ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥੧॥
hohu dhaial nam dhaehu mangath jan kano sadha reho rang ratha ||1||
Be Merciful, and bless me, a humble beggar, with Your Name, so that I may forever remain imbued with Your Love. ||1||

ਹੰਉ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਜਾਉ ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਟਹੁ ॥
hano baliharai jao sachae thaerae nam vittahu ||
I am a sacrifice to Your Name, O True Lord.

ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਸਭਨਾ ਕਾ ਏਕੋ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
karan karan sabhana ka eaeko avar n dhooja koee ||1|| rehao ||
The One Lord is the Cause of causes; there is no other at all. ||1||Pause||

ਬਹੁਤੇ ਫੇਰ ਪਏ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕਉ ਅਬ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕੀਜੈ ॥
bahuthae faer peae kirapan ko ab kishh kirapa keejai ||
I was wretched; I wandered through so many cycles of reincarnation. Now, Lord, please bless me with Your Grace.

ਹੋਹੁ ਦਇਆਲ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਐਸੀ ਬਖਸ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥੨॥
hohu dhaeial dharasan dhaehu apuna aisee bakhas kareejai ||2||
Be merciful, and grant me the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan; please grant me such a gift. ||2||

ਭਨਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਰਮ ਪਟ ਖੂਲ੍*ੇ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥
bhanath naanak bharam patt khoolhae gur parasadhee jania ||
Prays Nanak, the shutters of doubt have been opened wide; by Guru's Grace, I have come to know the Lord.

ਸਾਚੀ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੀ ਹੈ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੩॥੧॥੯॥
sachee liv lagee hai bheethar sathigur sio man mania ||3||1||9||
I am filled to overflowing with true love; my mind is pleased and appeased by the True Guru. ||3||1||9||

Guru Amar Das
Ang 68

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Sacā nėhu na ut*eaee jė sagur bėtai so*ė.

uteaee – tott aa jani – ghat jani - to diminish – to lessen – to reduce – to shorten

bėtai – comes from the word bheta – means offering – to present –that is bestowed upon

so*ė – HE Himself

True love does not diminish, if the HE Himself bestows the union with a True Guru.

The true Guru is only met/ordained by His Blessings(Kripa). Once the Link with the True Guru is bestowed, the love/bond between them does not diminish. It becomes stronger and stronger.

One obtains the wealth of spiritual wisdom and the awareness of the three worlds is acquired.

The Imaculate Naam is not forgotten, if one is a cutomer of merit.

Those birds have played and departed that pecked at the pond.
i.e. people that were playing their part (in this Dharamshalla) have played and departed.

Aad ji,

Can you enlighten us about What is this Spiritual Wisdom ? that is being mentioned here.

Kind Regards
Ekmusafir_Ajnabi

Veer ji

You have answered in part the question yourself. The True Lord in His Grace and Mercy puts it there, once we open our hearts to His Shabad. My personal bias is to say that the more one talks about, lectures about, goes on and on about What it is, the Less of it is there. If I or you or we have anything of spiritual wisdom to say, it will be His voice speaking.

And wishing to add belatedly, The Guru still wants our heads.

Kind regards

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
True Guru's Company is obtained by His Bessings. Only Guru can bless one with Sipiritual Wisdom. Everything is in His Hands. He blesses with Wisdom when and whom He Himself choses. Gur Bin Gyaan Na Hoi. Guru instills everything within.​

Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
SGGS JI

ANG 49

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਪਰਵਦਗਾਰੁ ਸਾਲਾਹੀਐ ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਚਲਤ ਅਨੇਕ ॥
paravadhagaar saalaaheeai jis dhae chalath anaek ||
Praise God, the Nurturer and Cherisher; His Wondrous Ways are unlimited.

ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਆਰਾਧੀਐ ਏਹਾ ਮਤਿ ਵਿਸੇਖ ॥
sadhaa sadhaa aaraadhheeai eaehaa math visaekh ||
Forever and ever, worship and adore Him; this is the most wonderful wisdom.

ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਮਿਠਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਲਗੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਲੇਖ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੮੯॥
man than mithaa this lagai jis masathak naanak laekh ||4||19||89||
O Nanak, God's Flavor is sweet to the minds and bodies of those who have such blessed destiny written on their foreheads. ||4||19||89||

SGGS JI

ANG 55

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਬਾਝੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਬੂਝ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥
baajh guroo gubaar hai bin sabadhai boojh n paae ||
Without the Guru, there is only pitch darkness; without the Shabad, understanding is not obtained.

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ਹੋਇ ਸਚਿ ਰਹੈ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥
guramathee paragaas hoe sach rehai liv laae ||
Through the Guru's Teachings, you shall be enlightened; remain absorbed in the Love of the True Lord.

ਤਿਥੈ ਕਾਲੁ ਨ ਸੰਚਰੈ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੬॥
thithhai kaal n sancharai jothee joth samaae ||6||
Death does not go there; your light shall merge with the Light. ||6||

ਤੂੰਹੈ ਸਾਜਨੁ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਮੇਲਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
thoonhai saajan thoon sujaan thoon aapae maelanehaar ||
You are my Best Friend; You are All-knowing. You are the One who unites us with Yourself.

ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਾਲਾਹੀਐ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥
gur sabadhee saalaaheeai anth n paaraavaar ||
Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, we praise You; You have no end or limitation.

ਤਿਥੈ ਕਾਲੁ ਨ ਅਪੜੈ ਜਿਥੈ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥੭॥
thithhai kaal n aparrai jithhai gur kaa sabadh apaar ||7||
Death does not reach that place, where the Infinite Word of the Guru's Shabad resounds. ||7||

SGGS JI

ANG 59
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
bhaaee rae gur bin giaan n hoe ||
O Siblings of Destiny, without the Guru, there is no spiritual wisdom.

ਪੂਛਹੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੇ ਨਾਰਦੈ ਬੇਦ ਬਿਆਸੈ ਕੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
pooshhahu brehamae naaradhai baedh biaasai koe ||1|| rehaao ||
Go and ask Brahma, Naarad and Vyaas, the writer of the Vedas. ||1||Pause||

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਧੁਨਿ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਸੋਇ ॥
giaan dhhiaan dhhun jaaneeai akathh kehaavai soe ||
Know that from the vibration of the Word, we obtain spiritual wisdom and meditation. Through it, we speak the Unspoken.

ਸਫਲਿਓ ਬਿਰਖੁ ਹਰੀਆਵਲਾ ਛਾਵ ਘਣੇਰੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
safaliou birakh hareeaavalaa shhaav ghanaeree hoe ||
He is the fruit-bearing Tree, luxuriantly green with abundant shade.

ਲਾਲ ਜਵੇਹਰ ਮਾਣਕੀ ਗੁਰ ਭੰਡਾਰੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੨॥
laal javaehar maanakee gur bhanddaarai soe ||2||
The rubies, jewels and emeralds are in the Guru's Treasury. ||2||

SGGS JI
ANG 78

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਸਗਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਗੁਦਰੀ ਅੰਧਿਆਰੀ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
sagalee rain gudharee andhhiaaree saev sathigur chaanan hoe ||
The entire night of your life has passed away in darkness; but by serving the True Guru, the Divine Light shall dawn within.

SGGS JI

ANG 87

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਗੁਰ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਹਜੁ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥
gur vin sehaj n aavee lobh mail n vichahu jaae ||
Without the Guru, intuitive wisdom does not come, and the filth of greed does not depart from within.

SGGS JI

ANG 88

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਜਿਨੀ ਨ ਸੇਵਿਓ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕੀਤੋ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
sathigur jinee n saeviou sabadh n keetho veechaar ||
Those who do not serve the True Guru, and who do not contemplate the Word of the Shabad

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਆਇਓ ਮਿਰਤਕੁ ਹੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ॥
anthar giaan n aaeiou mirathak hai sansaar ||
-spiritual wisdom does not enter into their hearts; they are like dead bodies in the world.

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee
charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o

Guru JI tells us everything. Every question is answered by Guru Ji in Gurbani. The main thing that matters is: do we consider Guru Ji our Guru, or it is just galli baati(mere talk). Love, Devotion, 100% faith, total surrender is needed, Humility is needed(can't consider ourselves any better, Guru Ji advises us to stay very very low), One has to become a Gurmukh and then after all this if Guru Ji is pleased the doors of Wisdom are opened. All is in His Hands. Complete surrender is needed. Guru Kirpa. Eh Maarg Khandeydhaar.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Everthing happens with Guru's Grace:

SGGS JI

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਜਾਂ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਲਾਗੈ ਭਾਉ ॥
jaan this bhaavai thaa laagai bhaao ||
As it pleases Him, people embrace love for the Lord,

ਭਰਮੁ ਭੁਲਾਵਾ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥
bharam bhulaavaa vichahu jaae ||
and doubt and delusion are dispelled from within.

ਉਪਜੈ ਸਹਜੁ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਤਿ ਜਾਗੈ ॥
oupajai sehaj giaan math jaagai ||
Intuitive peace and poise well up within, and the intellect is awakened to spiritual wisdom.

ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੈ ॥੩॥
gur prasaadh anthar liv laagai ||3||
By Guru's Grace, the inner being is touched by the Lord's Love. ||3||

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee
charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
And only a true Guru can Bless, not a blind one.

Sardara123 said:

We need True Guru. Without SatGuru we cant achieve the liberation from the cycle of birth and death. Guru Ji tells us that without the Guru our true Self cant be known. Guru's Word has tremendous powers, undescribable powers. It sooths us and saves us from the terrible pains.

In the Following Shabad Guru Ji tells us the importance of a True Guru. He also makes us aware of the fact that a blind/false Guru misleads his or her followers, those people who follow a blind Guru stay in the cycle of birth and death, they cant achieve liberation.
----

----
Those chaylaas, those devotees, whose spiritual teacher is blind, shall not find their place of rest.
Without the True Guru, the Name is not obtained. Without the Name, what is the use of it all?

People come and go, regretting and repenting, like crows in a deserted house. ||3||

---

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Dear aad Ji,

aad0002 said:
ਬਹੁਤੇ ਫੇਰ ਪਏ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕਉ ਅਬ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕੀਜੈ ॥
bahuthae faer peae kirapan ko ab kishh kirapa keejai ||
I was wretched; I wandered through so many cycles of reincarnation. Now, Lord, please bless me with Your Grace.

I love this shabad, Here is another one I like a lot.

This following Shabad is also really a beautiful one, I sing this all the time whenever I feel my mind is trying to wander away from simran. It is like Prayer- Ardaas. Always soothing.

Shabad Gurbani:

iblwvlu mhlw 5 ]
dws qyry kI bynqI ird kir prgwsu ]
qum@rI ik®pw qy pwrbRhm doKn ko nwsu ]1]
crn kml kw Awsrw pRB purK guxqwsu ]
kIrqn nwmu ismrq rhau jb lgu Git swsu ]1] rhwau ]
mwq ipqw bMDp qUhY qU srb invwsu ]
nwnk pRB srxwgqI jw ko inrml jwsu ]2]7]71]

English Translations:
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:
This is the prayer of Your slave: please enlighten my heart.
By Your Mercy, O Supreme Lord God, please erase my sins. ||1||
I take the Support of Your Lotus Feet, O God, Primal Lord, treasure of virtue.
I shall meditate in remembrance on the Praises of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, as long as there is breath in my body. ||1||Pause||
You are my mother, father and relative; You are abiding within all.
Nanak seeks the Sanctuary of God; His Praise is immaculate and pure. ||2||7||71||
source: SikhiToTheMax

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Veer ji

You have answered in part the question yourself. The True Lord in His Grace and Mercy puts it there, once we open our hearts to His Shabad. My personal bias is to say that the more one talks about, lectures about, goes on and on about What it is, the Less of it is there. If I or you or we have anything of spiritual wisdom to say, it will be His voice speaking.

And wishing to add belatedly, The Guru still wants our heads.

Kind regards

Aad ji,

I was under the impression that the cut/paste work that is put in the forum is well understood by the poster. It appears not. What surprises me is that we have 1430 pages of wisdom given to us by Our Gurus yet the Sikh is still looking out for Spiritual Wisdom to drop from the sky. The only answer to this that one is not prepared to understand what is being said by our Gurus and one is happy killing a fly on top of another dead one. I refer here to the circulation of mistranslations being cut and pasted. Please do not make fun of Gurbani.

AmberDhara and Sardara ji,

True Guru's Company is obtained by His Bessings. Only Guru can bless one with Sipiritual Wisdom. Everything is in His Hands. He blesses with Wisdom when and whom He Himself choses. Gur Bin Gyaan Na Hoi. Guru instills everything within.

It seems you are waiting for the arrival of another Guru? Perhaps I am talking to the ones who are still waiting in the queue to be personally blessed.

A fish whilst living in water says it is thirsty. I burst out in laughter – Bhagat Kabeer ji. Such is the plight of the Sikh today. It appears the Sikh is still waiting for the Guru to come and bless him with knowledge. ********** It is already here if one is a true seeker/a customer of merit, he will find it.

Spiritual knowledge is The Law of the Divine. It lies within the following three concepts bestowed on us by Guru Nanak Dev ji.

Naam Japo (Meditate on the Naam)
Wand Shako (Share your bounty with the less fortunate)
Dharam di kirat Karo. (Righteous Living)

************(Do not attempt to run before you can walk) Learn and deeply Understand your Japji Sahib first.

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad ji,

I was under the impression that the cut/paste work that is put in the forum is well understood by the poster. It appears not. What surprises me is that we have 1430 pages of wisdom given to us by Our Gurus yet the Sikh is still looking out for Spiritual Wisdom to drop from the sky. The only answer to this that one is not prepared to understand what is being said by our Gurus and one is happy killing a fly on top of another dead one. I refer here to the circulation of mistranslations being cut and pasted. Please do not make fun of Gurbani.

Spiritual knowledge is The Law of the Divine. It lies within the following three concepts bestowed on us by Guru Nanak Dev ji.

************(Do not attempt to run before you can walk) Learn and deeply Understand your Japji Sahib first.

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Ekmusafir Ji,

Can you expand your understanding for many who are new to Sikhism on the practical application of

I will be grateful. You may want to expand on the 'drop from the sky' phrase too. See, Ek Ji - everybody has an idea about Meditation, Righteous Living and Sharing the bounty but why is it that we are still doubtful about our lives ?

Why is it that we are 'assuring ourselves' by picking shabads from this page and that page of SGGS ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji, good questions.

Perhaps, repeating the words of Shabad of the Guru, is a problem for some. Anybody's guess. There are some very interesting thoughts on Ang 902. Some that answer your questions. Here is just one.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਨਾਉ ਲਏ ਬਦਨਾਵੀ ਕਲਿ ਕੇ ਲਖਣ ਏਈ ॥੩॥
jae ko naao leae badhanaavee kal kae lakhan eaeee ||3||
If someone chants the Lord's Name, he is
scorned. These are the signs of Kali Yuga. ||3||

What was it that so saddened Guruji on this page?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji,

Actually, there are stages of unfoldment one goes through. The 4 LavaN in Raag Suhee are the guidelines of this unfoldment. One step follows another. For example - in 1st Laav it already mentions all 3 (Naam Japo, Honest Living, Compassionate Heart, etc)

Second stage reveals the Anhad Shabad.
But there is a 3rd and 4th stage. If Bani refers to Anhad shabad, then it is not the end of the journey.

It would be good to discuss all 4 lavaaN within this topic, instead of separating the topics. This can be a good satsang if we stop calling each other names and stick to the discussion.

Thank you aad Ji.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji,

The link you're giving rightly puts it (just before the 3rd LaaV) :-

Step-by-step, the Gurbani is helping and guiding the Soul-bride to her Spiritual Destination — Attainment of Shabad-Surti which is same as God-Consciousness, Divine-Consciousness, Cosmic-Consciousness, and so forth. She is two steps closer to meeting her Absolute Groom!

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Aad ji,

AmberDhara and Sardara ji,

It seems you are waiting for the arrival of another Guru? Perhaps I am talking to the ones who are still waiting in the queue to be personally blessed.

A fish whilst living in water says it is thirsty. I burst out in laughter – Bhagat Kabeer ji. Such is the plight of the Sikh today. It appears the Sikh is still waiting for the Guru to come and bless him with knowledge. ********** It is already here if one is a true seeker/a customer of merit, he will find it.

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Ekmusafir Ji,

Guru is Gurbani, and it is BrahmVichaar. If Guru cant make you understand this then this is not others fault. You can spend years and years to judge others, and denounce their understanding and their way of interpretation, that's not going to help you to prove that you know any better.

Guru is Gurbani and it is BrahmVichaar.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Ekmusafir Ji,

Can you expand your understanding for many who are new to Sikhism on the practical application of

I will be grateful. You may want to expand on the 'drop from the sky' phrase too. See, Ek Ji - everybody has an idea about Meditation, Righteous Living and Sharing the bounty but why is it that we are still doubtful about our lives ?

Why is it that we are 'assuring ourselves' by picking shabads from this page and that page of SGGS ?

Naamjap ji,

I will expand this in due course. The above forms part of my article on "Misconceptions of Eating Meat in Sikhism". With the blessings of Guru Amar Das ji, I will be covering the above and various other issues and mis-conceptions. You will need to wait for that.

I have responded to this in the reply to Ambardhara ji below.

Aad ji,

NamJap ji, good questions.

Perhaps, repeating the words of Shabad of the Guru, is a problem for some. Anybody's guess. There are some very interesting thoughts on Ang 902. Some that answer your questions. Here is just one.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਨਾਉ ਲਏ ਬਦਨਾਵੀ ਕਲਿ ਕੇ ਲਖਣ ਏਈ ॥੩॥
jae ko naao leae badhanaavee kal kae lakhan eaeee ||3||
If someone chants the Lord's Name, he is scorned. These are the signs of Kali Yuga. ||3||

What was it that so saddened Guruji on this page?

The response to your question to Naamjap ji is as follow:​

Guru ji's saddness is precisely due to the type of response that you along with other members give in this forum. The response that says "We" know better". If ten people are exercising Manmat and one person points out to them of their shortfall, just because of they have majority, they do not become right. This is the sign of Kaliyug. Whoever tries to assist in correcting the mistakes is scorned. Even though this goes totally agains the definition of a Sikh(Student)​

Having said that, one does the right to exercise their Will. So please do so.​

Please do not take this as a personal attack on youself.​

Ekmusafir Ji,
Guru is Gurbani, and it is BrahmVichaar. If Guru cant make you understand this then this is not others fault. You can spend years and years to judge others, and denounce their understanding and their way of interpretation, that's not going to help you to prove that you know any better.

Guru is Gurbani and it is BrahmVichaar​

Ambardhara ji,

Your response is typical of a child who has begun to discover himself. Whatever "he" learns or begins to understand is the only truth for him. Once the child has discovered something new, he wants to go and show it to everyone. This phase runs out with maturity. So keep trying that day will come. So I will accept what you have said as it is per your understanding.​

Kind Regards
Ekmusafir_ajnabi​

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM