• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Need Of True Guru

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Jasleen Ji,

Thankyou Ji.

I never complained on Vichaar of Gurbani. Have I ever? Please Quote it- if I have made this mistake.
I ask for your forgiveness in any case. Maaf Karo Ji Jasleen Bhen Ji.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
pauVI ]
KsmY kY drbwir FwFI visAw ]
scw Ksmu klwix kmlu ivgisAw ]
Ksmhu pUrw pwie mnhu rhisAw ]
dusmn kFy mwir sjx srisAw ]
scw siqguru syvin scw mwrgu disAw ]
scw sbdu bIcwir kwlu ivDauisAw ]
FwFI kQy AkQu sbid svwirAw ]
nwnk gux gih rwis hir jIau imly ipAwirAw ]23]

Pauree:
In the Court of the Lord and Master, His minstrels dwell.
Singing the Praises of their True Lord and Master, the lotuses of their hearts have blossomed forth.
Obtaining their Perfect Lord and Master, their minds are transfixed with ecstasy.
Their enemies have been driven out and subdued, and their friends are very pleased.
Those who serve the Truthful True Guru are shown the True Path.
Reflecting on the True Word of the Shabad, death is overcome.
Speaking the Unspoken Speech of the Lord, one is adorned with the Word of His Shabad.
Nanak holds tight to the Treasure of Virtue, and meets with the Dear, Beloved Lord. ||23||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
i agree... please expound upon these posts... anyone? it's beautiful to see gurbani posted over and over again, but maybe we can focus on the "discussion" part of the discussion forum and talk about what said gurbani means? anyone can read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji... but few can truly understand it.

some of us are new students and do not understand as much as the more learned members of the group. :)

Jasleen ji

Your question is a good one. Here is my reaction. Forum members should feel free to expound or not expound. They should feel free to read and think. Or not think but comtemplate if that is what they want to do. When a thread is in the Gurmat Vichaar part of the forum, that has a special meaning. Gurmat Vichaar (understanding of the Guru's wisdom) is not a matter of personal opinion or even found in a casual discussion of opposing points of view from secular sources. Of course there will be those who disagree with my statement as there always are. That is fine too.

Gurmat Vichaar usually takes on the meaning in this paragraph which I found on Gurmat - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.
The 'guru' in gur-mat means the Ten Gurus of the Sikh faith as well as gur-bani, i.e. their inspired utterances recorded in the Guru Granth Sahib. The instruction (mat) of the Guru implies the teaching imparted through this holy word, and the example set by the Ten Gurus in person. Direction derived from these sources is a Sikh's ultimate norm in shaping the course of his life, both in its sacred and secular aspects. The spiritual path he is called upon to pursue should be oriented towards obtaining release, i.e. freedom from the dread bondage of repeated births and deaths, and standards of religious and personal conduct he must conform to in order to relate to his community and to society as a whole are all collectively subsumed in the concept of gurmat.

Teaching is imparted through the holy word. Gurbani is the ultimate norm. So, the use of Gurbani to respond to Gurbani is not unusual -- a way of having a conversation using Guruji's words. Some suggestions for further learning (things that worked for me) could include using the search engine on the Search Gurbani: Gurbani Research Website where one can search terms using the Bhai Gurdas index. Exploring concepts and ideas on sites like Gurbani.com :- Knowledgebase on Sikhism - Religion and Spirituality Portal
Reading previous posts where individuals like Amarpal or Giani Jarnail Singh speak about various issues. Checking in on the gurmat vichaar thread that kds19080 ji posts in every week. Using a gurbani search engine to find many different verses on a subject like "detachment" or anything else you like. Printing them all, and reading and comparing the different shabads. Formulating your ideas and discussing them in Gurmat classes at gurdwara.

But the conversation of shabad to shabad is classic conversation in which the entire scripture becomes the validation for any other part of scripture. The coherence of meaning from shabad to shabad in SGGS in complete and unbroken.

For me personally less conversation and more dhyanna is appropriate in the Gurmat Vichaar section. Not the only way of course. In fact a mood of tranquility comes over me when I do this. And there is nothing to stop anyone from expounding if that is what they want to do.

Hope this was helpful.

Apr 4, 2007
Jasleen Ji,

Thankyou Ji.

I never complained on Vichaar of Gurbani. Have I ever? Please Quote it- if I have made this mistake.
I ask for your forgiveness in any case. Maaf Karo Ji Jasleen Bhen Ji.

oh no, i'm sorry, i didn't mean to suggest anyone had made any mistake. please, no apology is necessary. :)

i'm just a poor beginner, i don't always understand the gurbani on it's own. i was hoping to encourage some more learned people to add their thoughts...

sorry about the confusion.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
oh no, i'm sorry, i didn't mean to suggest anyone had made any mistake. please, no apology is necessary. :)

i'm just a poor beginner, i don't always understand the gurbani on it's own. i was hoping to encourage some more learned people to add their thoughts...

sorry about the confusion.

I am sorry Jasleen Ji. I can only pray to Waheguru Ji that He grants you more understanding, AS HE IS THE GIVER.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What has brought me a long way is to listen to Sukha Singh do the English translation and katha of the daily Hukamnama on Sikhnet. I have listened to this every night since it began maybe 2 years this coming June.

Vocabulary grows. But also a more complete context for the shabad. And he often adds into his katha verses from other parts of Guruji to show how one shabad reflects the meaning of the other.

Apr 4, 2007
What has brought me a long way is to listen to Sukha Singh do the English translation and katha of the daily Hukamnama on Sikhnet. I have listened to this every night since it began maybe 2 years this coming June.

Vocabulary grows. But also a more complete context for the shabad. And he often adds into his katha verses from other parts of Guruji to show how one shabad reflects the meaning of the other.

thanks, i'll look into this. perhaps when i learn more i can post some of it here, and share it with other beginners. :)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
true, but how do we find the name? i see a lot of shabads telling us not to forget the name, please post how we find it in the first place. :)

I shall not answer you in a round about manner. It is stated that everything is supported by naam.But none on the earth knows what is it. It is given by the True Lord Himself.GGS is a guide to Naam. Yes,theoretically speaking ,one should have overcome the five enemies and should lead a truthful living,become equipoised and develop virtues of Sat, Santokh and gyan and practice on Gurumantar. That is why the importance on 'Amritvella'.But we can remmember HIM at any time.Eventually, It may lead us to the 4th stage when things become clear to oneself. No one can help anyone as Naam cannot be given by any Human being.
With HIS grace one is blessed.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sikh80 ji,

Yes I agree with you that naam cannot be given by any individual. But for beginners need to come to the Sadh Sangat to vichaar about what naam is, what to expect and what not to expect from this Omnipresent Sound Current.

Satsangat kaise janiye,
jithay eko naam vakhaniye.

Vichaar of naam is not theory but practical experience.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Sikh80 ji,

Yes I agree with you that naam cannot be given by any individual. But for beginners need to come to the Sadh Sangat to vichaar about what naam is, what to expect and what not to expect from this Omnipresent Sound Current.

Satsangat kaise janiye,
jithay eko naam vakhaniye.

Vichaar of naam is not theory but practical experience.
Sound current/naad/anhat etc are all variants employed in GGS ji for Naam. It has also been stated the HE is met in the holy congregation. For a seeker it is a blessing provided one gets it.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
SGGS JI
ANG 10

SATGURU PRASAAD

ਹਮ ਕੀਰੇ ਕਿਰਮ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਕਰਿ ਦਇਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੧॥
ham keerae kiram sathigur saranaaee kar dhaeiaa naam paragaas ||1||
I am a mere insect, a worm. O True Guru, I seek Your Sanctuary. Please be merciful, and bless me with the Light of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee
charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o

Apr 4, 2007
I shall not answer you in a round about manner. It is stated that everything is supported by naam.But none on the earth knows what is it. It is given by the True Lord Himself.GGS is a guide to Naam. Yes,theoretically speaking ,one should have overcome the five enemies and should lead a truthful living,become equipoised and develop virtues of Sat, Santokh and gyan and practice on Gurumantar. That is why the importance on 'Amritvella'.But we can remmember HIM at any time.Eventually, It may lead us to the 4th stage when things become clear to oneself. No one can help anyone as Naam cannot be given by any Human being.
With HIS grace one is blessed.

yes, i understand this part... i have received naam drir at Amrit Sanchar.

i was hoping that since this is the "gurmat vichaar" section, people might try to post some vichaar, rather than just posting gurbani over and over again. my questions were intended to provoke discussion. we can all read gurbani online, i thought it would helpful and generous if these learned souls could share what they understand and learn from the gurbani they're cut/pasting is all.

i'm sorry if i've offended anyone by asking for this seva. i know i'm no one to ask for such a favor.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
yes, i understand this part... i have received naam drir at Amrit Sanchar.

i was hoping that since this is the "gurmat vichaar" section, people might try to post some vichaar, rather than just posting gurbani over and over again. my questions were intended to provoke discussion. we can all read gurbani online, i thought it would helpful and generous if these learned souls could share what they understand and learn from the gurbani they're cut/pasting is all.

i'm sorry if i've offended anyone by asking for this seva. i know i'm no one to ask for such a favor.

Team Leader Namjap has explained a lot of things, in this thread on your question on Naam in one of his posts. I think He should come forward and explain more. I see he is only one with some of HIS OWN knowledge.

I thought your question was answered in that post so i made a humble request to go back to the original topic. OOPS.

Apr 4, 2007
Team Leader Namjap has explained a lot of things, in this thread on Naam in one of his posts. I think He should come forward and explain more. I see he is only one with some of HIS OWN knowledge.

I thought your question was answered in that post so i made a humble request to go back to the original topic. OOPS.

"my question" was a request that those who cut/paste gurbani repeatedly, should try to share what they have learned from said gurbani with the rest of us learners. i was trying to frame it in a polite manner, however, this seems to have been misunderstood.

i apologize if this request of seva is too much.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: